GDT: vs UMass

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, A10Ref said:

haven't found this stat anywhere, but is there any chance anyone has more double-doubles than JG in slu history?

I don’t have the stats, but I’d wager that Bonner has more.  He’s the all time leader in points and rebounds and played a bunch more games than Jordan.

3 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I don’t have the stats, but I’d wager that Bonner has more.  He’s the all time leader in points and rebounds and played a bunch more games than Jordan.

Not sure if Goodwin passed Evans.

Definitely not Bonner. There are several guys from 40s, 50s, and 60 who surely have more than even Bonner may have.

2 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I can believe he has more, but how did he play in more games? Schedules are longer now.

J-Good missed games at the end of his freshman year because of the situation and Jr year because of COVID.  He's also had this his Sr year shortened due to COVID. 110 career games.

Bonner meanwhile went on 2 runs to the NIT finals.  133 career games.

56 minutes ago, thetorch said:

There are several guys from 40s, 50s, and 60 who surely have more than even Bonner may have.

That is possible, but I kind of doubt anyone has more than Bonner.  He played way more games than any of those 40s - 60s guys.  Bonner also averaged a double-double over his 133 game career which is something only Jim McLaughlin can match over his 79 game career.  

Career rebounds list (doesn't include pre-1952-53 season*)

1. Bonner 1,424 (133 games, 1,972 points, 14.8 ppg, 10.7 rpg)

2. Jerry Koch 1,157* (110 games, 986 points, 9.0 ppg, 10.5 rpg*)

3. Jim McLaughlin 1,128 (79 games, 1,170 points, 14.8 ppg, 14.3 rpg)

4. JGood

5. French

6. Dwayne Evans

The only pre-1952 guy who I think might be up there would be Easy Ed.  He only played 109 career games.  No rebounding stats for him, but it is safe bet he racked up quite a few as the star center.

great performance by the billikens.   imo their best game of the year.   goodwin's first half was splendid.   and if french converts on a couple more assist opps he has his triple double.   

hargrove was very good imo.   and linssen played well again.  but maybe the best player of the night was shaft aka fred thatch jr.   the sequence where he hits the three than seconds later steals and goes in for a dunk was the end for umass.  they wilted thereafter.  

what was with umass taking their huddles into the tunnel ever timeout?    

seems like the arrow is definitely pointing up for the billikens.   if only we had one more week of games.   

disappointed in the crowd.   no way there was 800 people there which likely means a lot of no shows for people that reserved their seats.   come on people, if you cant go, give em back to so someone else can be asked by the AD.  

senior night ceremony was somewhat disappointing.   first you dont have anyone there to speak of, then the parents werent supposed to go on the floor.   i was glad to see goodwin ignore the rule.   the parents deserve that moment.  french set the record for most relatives on his video.  obviously has a large support group.   good for Has!  hightower is an impressive young man.   as ford noted, he will be a success in life no matter what direction he takes.   

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

great performance by the billikens.   imo their best game of the year.   goodwin's first half was splendid.   and if french converts on a couple more assist opps he has his triple double.   

hargrove was very good imo.   and linssen played well again.  but maybe the best player of the night was shaft aka fred thatch jr.   the sequence where he hits the three than seconds later steals and goes in for a dunk was the end for umass.  they wilted thereafter.  

what was with umass taking their huddles into the tunnel ever timeout?    

seems like the arrow is definitely pointing up for the billikens.   if only we had one more week of games.   

disappointed in the crowd.   no way there was 800 people there which likely means a lot of no shows for people that reserved their seats.   come on people, if you cant go, give em back to so someone else can be asked by the AD.  

senior night ceremony was somewhat disappointing.   first you dont have anyone there to speak of, then the parents werent supposed to go on the floor.   i was glad to see goodwin ignore the rule.   the parents deserve that moment.  french set the record for most relatives on his video.  obviously has a large support group.   good for Has!  hightower is an impressive young man.   as ford noted, he will be a success in life no matter what direction he takes.   

I was offered seats for Richmond but could not go because of a prior engagement and within minutes of getting the email I replied no so someone else could get the offer.

I also emailed Chris May thanking him for the opportunity and to offer the tickets to someone else.

I am not sure if it made a difference Roy you understand the way the SLU organization works so I wonder if I replied quickly could SLU pivot and contact someone else or is it just 800 people picked and that is it.

39 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Was there anyone else who wanted to punch the UMass coach in the face. He came across as a spoiled brat who wasn’t getting the new Star Wars figurine his mom promised him

Me, I wanted to, what a child who was not a good example for his players that whined like the coach.

Umass seemed to want to apply VCU-like pressure to us but without the results.  There was a lot of bodying by Fernandes and Garcia and McCrory.  Of course Garcia and McCrory are freshmen and got schooled by more senior players for their overexuberance.  I said earlier in this thread that a few of them should have been teed up, and that includes McCall.  

Umass was 6 and 4.  Who did they beat?  They beat La Salle (twice), Rhodey (twice) and Fordham (twice).  That's a pretty cheap way to get into contention for a Top Four double bye.  Those teams finished 9, 11 and 14 in the 14-team confernece respectively.  I have the same issue with the Bonnies.  They at least swept Davidson and beat VCU at home but then lost at URI, at SLU, at VCU and now at home to Dayton.  Nine of their 15 were played at home.  VCU lost road games at URI, Bonaventure and Davidson.  This league is cannibals.  

Back to Umass.  For the last two years, McCall has employed that full court pressure joke.  Every year, they play matador defense because they get burned early and often.  I can only guess that he is willing to trade baskets for possessions, hoping the opponent screws up more times than not so he can outscore you.  There is no defense at Umass.  Its scratching, clawing and grabbing ---- and then they get upset with the whistles.  Oh well.  If Mitchell is dumb enough to go pro, they will be lost next year because what's left is a bunch of undisciplined gunners.

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

Was there anyone else who wanted to punch the UMass coach in the face. He came across as a spoiled brat who wasn’t getting the new Star Wars figurine his mom promised him

Ha ha.  I was yelling at him from 118 about all the crying he was doing.

32 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Umass seemed to want to apply VCU-like pressure to us but without the results.  There was a lot of bodying by Fernandes and Garcia and McCrory.  Of course Garcia and McCrory are freshmen and got schooled by more senior players for their overexuberance.  I said earlier in this thread that a few of them should have been teed up, and that includes McCall.  

Umass was 6 and 4.  Who did they beat?  They beat La Salle (twice), Rhodey (twice) and Fordham (twice).  That's a pretty cheap way to get into contention for a Top Four double bye.  Those teams finished 9, 11 and 14 in the 14-team confernece respectively.  I have the same issue with the Bonnies.  They at least swept Davidson and beat VCU at home but then lost at URI, at SLU, at VCU and now at home to Dayton.  Nine of their 15 were played at home.  VCU lost road games at URI, Bonaventure and Davidson.  This league is cannibals.  

Back to Umass.  For the last two years, McCall has employed that full court pressure joke.  Every year, they play matador defense because they get burned early and often.  I can only guess that he is willing to trade baskets for possessions, hoping the opponent screws up more times than not so he can outscore you.  There is no defense at Umass.  Its scratching, clawing and grabbing ---- and then they get upset with the whistles.  Oh well.  If Mitchell is dumb enough to go pro, they will be lost next year because what's left is a bunch of undisciplined gunners.

i like mitchell a lot.   not saying he is pro ready this second (definition of pro ready this second, cade cunningham at ok st.  my oh my oh my) but in the same sense if your overall impression of not having a good coach is right, tre isnt going to get better at umass.   but in my mind watching him play, with his size and basic ball skills as well as shooting and his quickness for his size, this kid is pro potential.   he either needs to go somewhere else or take his swing at the pro's and hope wherever he ends up teaches him what umass is not.  

53 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i like mitchell a lot.   not saying he is pro ready this second (definition of pro ready this second, cade cunningham at ok st.  my oh my oh my) but in the same sense if your overall impression of not having a good coach is right, tre isnt going to get better at umass.   but in my mind watching him play, with his size and basic ball skills as well as shooting and his quickness for his size, this kid is pro potential.   he either needs to go somewhere else or take his swing at the pro's and hope wherever he ends up teaches him what umass is not.  

He seemed lazy and uninterested to me. Just my observation from one game

57 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

3 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

He seemed lazy and uninterested to me. Just my observation from one game

Agree and agree.  Mitchell takes too many plays off.  He wanted no part of French in the second half.  The coach can help him understand that is unacceptable, but he needs to do the work.  I agree that he needs to either go pro or find a new locale.

AGB91 likes this

5 minutes ago, DOC said:

Not sure there’s been a more productive 10 minutes of action in college basketball like the one Terrence Hargrove put on last night. Made all 4 shots of which 2 were 3’s, 2 rebounds, a steal and an assist. I’m not sure where the minutes come from, but Hargrove needs more pt  

The dancing on the bench is impressive too!

i noticed on the intro to sportscenter this morning they show about a 2 second clip of hargrove dancing.    i dont watch enough beginnings of sportscenter to know if that is on every into or not.  (typically i hit up sportscenter after i have completed channel surf and found nothing or if i am tuning in for something i particularly want to see)  but i was surprised.

27 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i noticed on the intro to sportscenter this morning they show about a 2 second clip of hargrove dancing.    i dont watch enough beginnings of sportscenter to know if that is on every into or not.  (typically i hit up sportscenter after i have completed channel surf and found nothing or if i am tuning in for something i particularly want to see)  but i was surprised.

I caught that last night after a game on  the +. thought I was seeing  things. Great exposer for the team.