Perkins Officially Returning

slufan13

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Great news. Good move by Javonte. I think he saw the need for more games at the D1 level being necessary to improve his game. My picks for a starting 5 with what we currently have is:

Yurimania

Thatch

Perkins

Linssen

Okoro

I like us going a little bigger. If we want to go smaller and faster the options are there. Without naming names, I'm hopeful the rest of the roster stays 

Like your lineup, but thinking instead of Linnson, who will play big minutes, Ford signs a high profile transfer to fill that 4 slot who is perhaps a better ball handler, and can stretch the floor a bit more than Linnson.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to say what I think, Perkins staying another year is great news. However, it does not mean that we will keep the rest of the team intact, as it is now. Every year there are transfers some of which are not expected. This year is probably not going to be different. We may well be looking for an additional player or players in the spring if anyone transfers.

@CB --- I think the A10 is holding strong in its part to be a three or four bid league as always.  It is rare in my recollection that they drop below three although if I checked facts, I'd probably find some years like that.  I don't think the Bonnies are that good.  They remain a five man team and while Schmidt always does more with less, I don't see any impact transfers or top 100 players clamoring to join the Enchanted Mountains clan.  A good year next and Maybe Schmidt heads off to greener pastures.  Let's remember, it wasn't too long ago they were the Bonaventure Welders.  VCU will be interesting and it all depends on what Bones does.  Yes, Levi Stockard is coming back but meh.  They'll get Jarren McAllister back from injury and I expect Jhamir Watkins to develop more.  Baldwin will run the point for what will feel like an eternity.  They will have to push HAVOC more because no one outside Vince Williams has shown any consistency in shooting skills.  But their press clippings will precede them.  

Then there is the unbridled promise that is Dayton.  That will all be key on both Cohill's return and the maturation of Elijah Weaver.  Weaver was always out of control this year.  Maybe with Crutcher and Watson gone he becomes 'the man' and its his team.  nd of course there is us.  Most are right, I expect a top four finish once again and no questiosn about our being an at-large team should we go that route.  

What I think is the interesting factor is how many seniors decide to come back for that NCAA-bonus year?  We know Perkins, we know Stockard.  Possible elsewhere include Crutcher and Watson and Chatman at Dayton.  Daly at St. Joes.  Fatts and Sheppard at Rhodey.  Pierre at Umass.  Grady and Collins at Davifdson.  Weathers, Hughes and Dunn-Martin at Duquesne.  Greene and Wilson at Mason.  Moyer at Geedubya.  And the entire starting four (of five) at Richmond. 

The NBA just passed a rule that this year's seniors have to 'opt in' for the NBA draft.  That might add some clarity to things later on.  We just don't know.

As for coming out next year, I'd love to.  I'll always have that trip on my 'to do' list.  Just a matter if we make it or not.  

CBFan likes this

So, for someone more in the know, is Perkin's scholarship an extra or does it reduce the number SLU has available to fill from 3 back to 2?  I tried to research this but did not find an answer.  There was talk that the NCAA might expand roster size to accommodate those seniors returning to their present teams so not to penalize the incoming freshman class.

7 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

So, for someone more in the know, is Perkin's scholarship an extra or does it reduce the number SLU has available to fill from 3 back to 2?  I tried to research this but did not find an answer.  There was talk that the NCAA might expand roster size to accommodate those seniors returning to their present teams so not to penalize the incoming freshman class.

Players using the extra year of eligibility granted by the NCAA will not count against the scholarship total for the 21-22 academic year.  I don't believe any announcement has been made how players using that extra year of eligibility in the following academic years will count against the scholarship total.

JMM28 likes this

10 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Players using the extra year of eligibility granted by the NCAA will not count against the scholarship total for the 21-22 academic year.  I don't believe any announcement has been made how players using that extra year of eligibility in the following academic years will count against the scholarship total.

My understanding is that the extra year won't count toward scholarship limits on whatever their last year is. However if the player transfers, they won't have that exemption on the scholarship count. They CAN transfer and use their extra year, it just will count against their new team's 13 scholarship limit. 

A little surprised posters aren't making a little more of JGoods comments. This should be all about Perkins and our support for his coming back, but JGood did seem to open the door a crack about his possible return. Hate to use the 50-50 shot, but I'm thinking if we don't get in the dance the odds might favor his return. Not sure about French, although, they are pretty close, see PD article. Would it surprise anyone if they jointly decided to return to get a shot at the brass ring if things don't go our way this season? 

6 minutes ago, slu72 said:

A little surprised posters aren't making a little more of JGoods comments. This should be all about Perkins and our support for his coming back, but JGood did seem to open the door a crack about his possible return. Hate to use the 50-50 shot, but I'm thinking if we don't get in the dance the odds might favor his return. Not sure about French, although, they are pretty close, see PD article. Would it surprise anyone if they jointly decided to return to get a shot at the brass ring if things don't go our way this season? 

Since the NCAA allows the seniors to come back I have felt that all 3 seniors would come back if they were unable to play a complete season.

Jgood to improve his 3 point shot, French free throw shooting and more range and Perkins to get stronger and average over 20.  JGood can have another year of seeing his parents as he goes on and off the court.  All 3 seniors will benefit from 2 more semesters of a great education and be 2 semesters away from a master’s.

2 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Since the NCAA allows the seniors to come back I have felt that all 3 seniors would come back if they were unable to play a complete season.

Jgood to improve his 3 point shot, French free throw shooting and more range and Perkins to get stronger and average over 20.  JGood can have another year of seeing his parents as he goes on and off the court.  All 3 seniors will benefit from 2 more semesters of a great education and be 2 semesters away from a master’s.

a majority of the nba draftees are not seniors.   and definitely the majority of the lottery picks are not seniors.   the longer a player puts off "the shot" the less his odds are of hooking on the big leagues.  

RUBillsFan likes this

Just now, billiken_roy said:

a majority of the nba draftees are not seniors.   and definitely the majority of the lottery picks are not seniors.   the longer a player puts off "the shot" the less his odds are of hooking on the big leagues.  

It’s extremely rare for a senior to be drafted 

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

Respectfully to the seniors I do not see any of them being first round NBA picks.  I see the seniors getting a chance at tryouts and passing the eye test and getting in the NBA that way.

In the second round of the NBA draft do seniors get drafted in that round?

4 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Respectfully to the seniors I do not see any of them being first round NBA picks.  I see the seniors getting a chance at tryouts and passing the eye test and getting in the NBA that way.

probably more than 1st round but i think none of the contracts for second rounders or free agents are guaranteed.  and i agree none of the big three billikens seniors are first round picks.   all the more reasons i would fear injury as there are no guarantees for any second round or free agent nba contracts or overseas players.     

CBFan likes this

9 minutes ago, CBFan said:

It is almost the same thing, but age is the driving force, not college grade.  (Yeah they are related, except for the increasing number of foreign players).  The vast majority of first round picks are 19 or 20 years old.  Once you hit 22 years old, age becomes a big issue on draft night.  

Second round NBA drafted players either made the squad or got 2 way contracts with the G league.  The 2 ways went for $450,000 this past draft.  I'm guessing a handful got pink slips, but I couldn't give you that list.

CBFan likes this

Out of the all the seniors, I thought Perkins was going to be the hardest to replace. Not a knock at all on Goodwin who is an all-time great in the program, but based on the way the roster is constructed, Perkins ability to create his own shot and fill it up is unique. It's comforting to know we'll head into next year with a proven go-to scorer. 

HenryB likes this

I think it's fantastic that he's returning, but I wouldn't count on a tier up in productivity.  He has struggled, at times, when he was the focus of the opposing defense.  He was roughed up and the officials didn't call it.  Someone above mentioned strength and I hope that's true. 

For sure, I'm glad he's coming back and he definitely could improve.  

I think Goodwin had a good chance of getting drafted PRIOR to our month long shut down. After that I think the chance just drained off. I do not think French had a chance to be drafted by the NBA .                                                     

9 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I think Goodwin had a good chance of getting drafted PRIOR to our month long shut down. After that I think the chance just drained off. I do not think French had a chance to be drafted by the NBA .                                                     

I never really viewed Goodwin as a future NBA player. A GREAT college player, but really not an explosive athlete or excellent shooter. BUT, the kid has a great motor so I hope he proves me wrong. Hell, I never thought Ahearn or the Watanabe kid from GW would get in the league, so who knows.

1 hour ago, someoneelse said:

I think it's fantastic that he's returning, but I wouldn't count on a tier up in productivity.  He has struggled, at times, when he was the focus of the opposing defense.  He was roughed up and the officials didn't call it.  Someone above mentioned strength and I hope that's true. 

For sure, I'm glad he's coming back and he definitely could improve.  

He needs to get stronger, but also get better at selling contact / drawing fouls when teams do try to rough him up.  Kind of paradoxically he's drawn fewer fouls this season per 40 mins than he did last season.  Perhaps teams are putting better defenders on him that are less foul prone?

If we don't add anyone else, I think his PPG could increase because he'll take more shots, but his efficiency may dip as he becomes the main focus of defenses.  Getting to the line more often would help offset any efficiency dip from making fewer shots.