Path to NCAA Tourney

Crewsorlose

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, dlarry said:

What are we to make of the ESPN ticker showing that Duke hasn’t been ruled out do the NCAA tourney yet?

That has been scrolling across all day.

If the powers that be at the TV networks get Duke in some how I might choke a mother f*#%#%

It’s because coach K must be convinced he’ll be first choice if NCAA needs a replacement team.

9 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

I think it will all be decided by the time those games are finished.

From what I've heard about how the teams are selected, I think you're right. The teams are set by noon unless there's a bid stealer out there like we were two years ago.

12 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

I am not surprised in the least by the apparent, sudden resurrection of Duke.

Committee member 1: “how about Duke in the east region?”

Committee member 2:  “Uh they stopped their season because of Covid.”

Committee member 3: “They also had a terrible year.”

CBS executive: “how about Duke in the east region?”

Committee members: “Agree Duke gets a 3 seed!” 

1 hour ago, billikenbill said:

If Houston pulls this out, hate to say it, but Memphis belongs in the tournament.

If we are just going to allow any team near the top 60 a bid for almost winning a game, then we're just admitting that your resume means nothing.  Just play a highly ranked team tough and you're in.

If you would’ve told me when SLU lost last weekend that we would be either the last team in or first team out with all the major conference tournaments left I would’ve laughed hysterically at you.  

But here we are, with one possible bid steal game left right on the line trusting bracketologists who aren’t exactly perfect.   Can we get some perspective here, I think we are in a pretty damn good spot considering.

Not to mention this week has seen 3 major conference teams and a fourth exit their conference tourney bc of COVID positive tests.  So SLU sits there as the first team up to replace a COVID positive team.  

12 minutes ago, Lando Griffin said:

If you would’ve told me when SLU lost last weekend that we would be either the last team in or first team out with all the major conference tournaments left I would’ve laughed hysterically at you.  

But here we are, with one possible bid steal game left right on the line trusting bracketologists who aren’t exactly perfect.   Can we get some perspective here?  

Not to mention this week has seen 3 major conference teams and a fourth exit their conference tourney bc of COVID positive tests.  So SLU sits there as the first team up to replace a COVID positive team.  

Well stated and a very level-headed opinion.

This is a tough one to take, partially because of the optimism built up over the strong finish to last year. If you would have asked me on day 1 what I thought of this team going to the NIT I would have wanted to fire everyone. Then, they played some strong basketball in the non-conference season and were in the AP and Coaches Top 25. 

Then, the shutdown happened and the team that came out of it wasn't the same...they fought like hell to get a chance, but the limits of human endurance and the effects of hitting Division 1 teams in midseason form after missing a month might be too much. 

Damn, that's a lot of stream-of-consciousness narration there. Here's to hoping that a bolt from the basketball gods strikes somewhere around Midtown. 

29 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

The inventors of the Tank, the Chicago Cubs and the Houston Astros, must be proud of the Creighton of Omaha Bluejays.

Creighton has been the most consistently good team out of them Xavier and Butler since joining the Big East.

23 minutes ago, Lando Griffin said:

But here we are, with one possible bid steal game left right on the line trusting bracketologists who aren’t exactly perfect.   Can we get some perspective here, I think we are in a pretty damn good spot considering.

This season should have been so much more.  So people have plenty of reason to be disappointed in our current predicament.    Last season this would have been a pretty damn good spot to be in. This season it is a flat out let down.  Maybe for once in my lifetime the basketball god’s will give us a gift and give the program a chance to redeem the season with an unlikely bid. We deserve those gods’ favor at least one time instead of disfavor they have constantly have bestowed upon us.

51 minutes ago, brianstl said:

This season should have been so much more.  So people have plenty of reason to be disappointed in our current predicament.    Last season this would have been a pretty damn good spot to be in. This season it is a flat out let down.  Maybe for once in my lifetime the basketball god’s will give us a gift and give the program a chance to redeem the season with an unlikely bid. We deserve those gods’ favor at least one time instead of disfavor they have constantly have bestowed upon us.

I was with everyone before the start of the season saying the same thing. I thought this season was going to be schedule.  My comment was more towards where we were at that point in time last week.  We got a long way to go with 3 bid stealers left I guess I misspoke but there was no way SLU was going to go unscathed and there was going to be complete chalk, but to have actually improved throughout this week is pretty freaking strong for SLU.