Path to NCAA Tourney

Crewsorlose

16 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I don't want the committee to look at our entire body of work.  I want the committee to not look at our first two games following Covid.  I want the committee to look at the games before the pause, then skip to our St. Bonnie win and ignore the two L's.

In a way, the Committee will skip those first 2 losses after Covid.  While they do look at the "whole body of work" they put extra emphasis on the final 10 games...Starting with the St. B game in Feb that we won and leaving off the first 2 post Covid games ...Day & LaS.  Had we played an "extra game" at the end,  it would have removed the St. B win from our final 10 games category

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Too many people on this board, and elsewhere, seem to believe Lunardi, Palm or any bracketologist have the exact right answer. It's like Lunardi says we are in, so we must be in, but if he drops us out, we must be out type mentality. Truth is they are just making educated guesses.

At the start of play today it feels like we are about 50% likely. Wins by Creighton, Colorado, Houston and Wichita St. move that up 10-15% in my mind. Losses by Creighton or Colorado drop the percentage by 15% each. Even if today goes horribly, we still have a 20-30% chance. Because we don't know if we are really the first team out, last team in or what. We could be the last bye for all anyone knows. It's just an educated guessing game.

JMM28 and JettFlight5 like this

3 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Too many people on this board, and elsewhere, seem to believe Lunardi, Palm or any bracketologist have the exact right answer. It's like Lunardi says we are in, so we must be in, but if he drops us out, we must be out type mentality. Truth is they are just making educated guesses.

At the start of play today it feels like we are about 50% likely. Wins by Creighton, Colorado, Houston and Wichita St. move that up 10-15% in my mind. Losses by Creighton or Colorado drop the percentage by 15% each. Even if today goes horribly, we still have a 20-30% chance. Because we don't know if we are really the first team out, last team in or what. We could be the last bye for all anyone knows. It's just an educated guessing game.

You are probably right. I’m just hoping we can avoid disappointment tomorrow.

Just now, JettFlight5 said:

You are probably right. I’m just hoping we can avoid disappointment tomorrow.

No need for anyone on here to argue or worry about the Michigan St.s of the world. Only thing that maters today is that Creighton, Colorado, Houston and Wichita St. winning. A blowout victory by San Diego St, probably wouldn't hurt either.

8 minutes ago, Brighton said:

It’s not a matter of if, but when SLU gets screwed, I hope they go to the national media and plead their case. No organization wants to be The One to exclude someone due to a once in a century global pandemic.

I don't. Whining about not being selected never comes across well and it's not like pleading their case is going to change anything. Just say that you are disappointed but look forward to playing in the NIT.

Billikenbooster likes this

2 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I don't. Whining about not being selected never comes across well and it's not like pleading their case is going to change anything. Just say that you are disappointed but look forward to playing in the NIT.

We could go all Central Florida and hang a national championship banner after winning the NIT

10 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I think this is the better play. We saw how Travis Ford’s heat of the moment comments after Bona went. 

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

The lack of more wins away from Chaifetz really hurts are resume.

A10 not shuffling the schedule more to get SLU some winnable road games down the stretch is really inexcusable when you consider the extra payouts an added NCAA team gives the league.  A10 in general was terrible with rescheduling games, confusingly changing the the tournament format, and giving VCU home games.  

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

A10 not shuffling the schedule more to get SLU some winnable road games down the stretch is really inexcusable when you consider the extra payouts an added NCAA team gives the league.  A10 in general was terrible with rescheduling games, confusingly changing the the tournament format, and giving VCU home games.  

Very much agreed.

The A10 may have unwittingly self erased its third NCAA bid. Let’s hope not.

1 hour ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

If you like sloppy basketball turn on ESPN2. Umass Lowell and Hartford. Hard to watch but only game on now haha

If we're splitting hairs (and we absolutely should be IMO at this point with how close to the bubble IN/OUT we are), we're rooting for UMass Lowell in this one.  

UMass Lowell lost to NC State a common opponent with SLU.  The other multi-bid conference teams with played are Illinois St (MVC) and Ohio St (B10). 

Hartford did not have any common opponents with SLU and played Nova & UConn (BE). 

UMass Lowell having a common opponent with SLU bumps ahead of mattering more even though they did play opponents whose conferences have teams on the bubble ahead of SLU (MVC - Drake) and (B10 - Mich St) as opposed to opponents whose conference has has a team on the bubble likely behind SLU (BE - Seton Hall)

Things aren't looking great for UMass Lowell, so it's a good thing this one doesn't matter much.

Edit: I really miss the old RPIForecast.com website that went defunct when NET replaced the RPI.  It had a feature that showed every DI team's expected weight in determining any given team's RPI.  It made it super easy to tell who you should be rooting for to potentially boost SLU's RPI even by a microscopic amount.  If anyone knows of a similar site that does this for the NET, it would be much appreciated.

4 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

If we're splitting hairs (and we absolutely should be IMO at this point with how close to the bubble IN/OUT we are), we're rooting for UMass Lowell in this one.  

UMass Lowell lost to NC State a common opponent with SLU.  The other multi-bid conference teams with played are Illinois St (MVC) and Ohio St (B10). 

Hartford did not have any common opponents with SLU and played Nova & UConn (BE). 

UMass Lowell having a common opponent with SLU bumps ahead of mattering more even though they did play opponents whose conferences have teams on the bubble ahead of SLU (MVC - Drake) and (B10 - Mich St) as opposed to opponents whose conference has has a team on the bubble likely behind SLU (BE - Seton Hall)

Things aren't looking great for UMass Lowell, so it's a good thing this one doesn't matter much.

This post just moved me in California to tune the TV to UMass-Lowell vs. Hartford. So far this looks like a Rec Center intramural battle.

This is March Madness!

2 hours ago, kshoe said:

I really do not know much about Lunardi, so yes he may be making educated guesses. As far as Palm goes he seems to be pulling his decisions out of that place where the sun does not shine. Palm is desperate to be "right" and really wants a claim to be right by making every possible guess before the selection is over.

2 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I really do not know much about Lunardi, so yes he may be making educated guesses. As far as Palm goes he seems to be pulling his decisions out of that place where the sun does not shine. Palm is desperate to be "right" and really wants a claim to be right by making every possible guess before the selection is over.

Palm is the 85th ranked bracketologist out of like 130 on bracket matrix. He is horrible at his job. 

3 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Palm is the 85th ranked bracketologist out of like 130 on bracket matrix. He is horrible at his job. 

Agree, and there are over 40 other "experts" that are worse than he is, according to your numbers.

4 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Agree, and there are over 40 other "experts" that are worse than he is, according to your numbers.

George Carlin summed that up well when he said think of the intelligence of the average person and realize half the world is stupider than that.