Path to NCAA Tourney

Crewsorlose

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think SLU is the Last Team IN going into Saturday's games.

With its NET of 45, SLU should easily be IN.  In fact, SLU's position actually improved one at large slot overnight, from the 32nd to the 31st At Large IN per the NET.  SLU's NET remains at 45, the same as it was yesterday.

The issue is while the NCAA field traditionally very closely follows the NET, and before that its predecessor, the RPI, there are annually approximately 3 variances between the metric tool used and the actual NCAA field.  

While I really disagree with the elevation of Michigan State (NET 70), if the bracketologists are correct, this gift bid, akin to a Power 5 Lifetime Achievement Award, is happening.  We hear Michigan State has 5 Quad 1 Wins.  Well, Michigan State has 11 QUAD 1 LOSSES!  That's right, Sparty is 5-11 in Quad 1.  Friends, that is not a good record.  That is Power 5 mumbo jumbo, tv ratings, additional NCAA Unit($) to the Big Ten.

The pundits have Louisville IN at 56 NET, 1-6 Quad 1.  1-6 QUAD 1!  They also have Wichita State IN at NET 64, 2-3 Quad 1.

SLU is NET 45, 2-3 Quad 1, 2-1 Quad 2, 4-2 Quad 3, and 1-4 Road.  The latter, lack of road wins, is where the lack of games issue comes into play, and that is Covid quarantine related, out of the Billikens' control.  Also, Ted "TV" Valentine is certainly an issue there for the Travesty @ VCU.

I can easily excise the 2 Mountain West pretenders, 50 Boise State and 51 Colorado State.  The 12th ranked Mountain West Conference (A10 is 9th ranked) is not getting 4 NCAA teams, and better not be getting 3 NCAA teams.  Colorado State looked flat out awful last night, a bunch of bricklayers.

Then that last spot comes down to 45 SLU, 52 Memphis (last team in per today's NET) and 53 Ole Miss (first team OUT per today's NET).  

Memphis is 16-7, 4-3 Road, 0-3 Quad 1, 4-3 Quad 2.

Ole Miss is 16-11, 5-6 Road, 3-5 Quad 1, 4-4 Quad 2.  I think Ole Miss loses out there, at least I hope so.

That reduces the final NCAA At Large to SLU vs. Memphis.

In the AAC, root for Houston to knock off Memphis today, hopefully big.  Root for Cincinnati to beat Wichita State today.  Then root for Houston to beat Cincinnati tomorrow (which would be imperative).

In the Power 5 + 1 Bid Stealers, trouble is brewing in the Pac 12 and Big East.  It is imperative for SLU's NCAA chances for Creighton to beat Georgetown in the Big East and for Colorado to beat Oregon State in the Pac-12.

As the Billikens have sat idle this week, everything has pretty much gone SLU's way so far, except for that South Florida meltdown vs. Wichita State yesterday, which would have been an unexpected, but valuable, upset anyway.

Old guy and dlarry like this

43 Drake should be OUT too, playing that absurd non-conference schedule of cupcakes. The stats show Drake as 1-2 Quad 1, 5-0 Quad 2, 9-2 on the Road, which is impressive until one considers the identities of those road opponents.

The only good team Drake played all season is Loyola Chicago.  The Ramblers won at Drake by 27 points and by 10 on a neutral court.

Drake hasn't been to the NCAA Tournament since 2008, and has only 4 NCAA Tournament appearances all time.  I get the feeling Drake is this year's feel good narrative.  There always needs to be one.

Re SLU's road record, Michigan State, seemingly enjoying total blanket immunity, is 3-8 on the road.

billiken_roy likes this

23 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

I think SLU is the Last Team IN going into Saturday's games.

With its NET of 45, SLU should easily be IN.  In fact, SLU's position actually improved one at large slot overnight, from the 32nd to the 31st At Large IN per the NET.  SLU's NET remains at 45, the same as it was yesterday.

The issue is while the NCAA field traditionally very closely follows the NET, and before that its predecessor, the RPI, there are annually approximately 3 variances between the metric tool used and the actual NCAA field.  

While I really disagree with the elevation of Michigan State (NET 70), if the bracketologists are correct, this gift bid, akin to a Power 5 Lifetime Achievement Award, is happening.  We hear Michigan State has 5 Quad 1 Wins.  Well, Michigan State has 11 QUAD 1 LOSSES!  That's right, Sparty is 5-11 in Quad 1.  Friends, that is not a good record.  That is Power 5 mumbo jumbo, tv ratings, additional NCAA Unit($) to the Big Ten.

The pundits have Louisville IN at 56 NET, 1-6 Quad 1.  1-6 QUAD 1!  They also have Wichita State IN at NET 64, 2-3 Quad 1.

SLU is NET 45, 2-3 Quad 1, 2-1 Quad 2, 4-2 Quad 3, and 1-4 Road.  The latter, lack of road wins, is where the lack of games issue comes into play, and that is Covid quarantine related, out of the Billikens' control.  Also, Ted "TV" Valentine is certainly an issue there for the Travesty @ VCU.

I can easily excise the 2 Mountain West pretenders, 50 Boise State and 51 Colorado State.  The 12th ranked Mountain West Conference (A10 is 9th ranked) is not getting 4 NCAA teams, and better not be getting 3 NCAA teams.  Colorado State looked flat out awful last night, a bunch of bricklayers.

Then that last spot comes down to 45 SLU, 52 Memphis (last team in per today's NET) and 53 Ole Miss (first team OUT per today's NET).  

Memphis is 16-7, 4-3 Road, 0-3 Quad 1, 4-3 Quad 2.

Ole Miss is 16-11, 5-6 Road, 3-5 Quad 1, 4-4 Quad 2.  I think Ole Miss loses out there, at least I hope so.

That reduces the final NCAA At Large to SLU vs. Memphis.

In the AAC, root for Houston to knock off Memphis today, hopefully big.  Root for Cincinnati to beat Wichita State today.  Then root for Houston to beat Cincinnati tomorrow (which would be imperative).

In the Power 5 + 1 Bid Stealers, trouble is brewing in the Pac 12 and Big East.  It is imperative for SLU's NCAA chances for Creighton to beat Georgetown in the Big East and for Colorado to beat Oregon State in the Pac-12.

As the Billikens have sat idle this week, everything has pretty much gone SLU's way so far, except for that South Florida meltdown vs. Wichita State yesterday, which would have been an unexpected, but valuable, upset anyway.

Michigan St. slipped into the tourney according to some because they finished the regular season 5-2 with wins over Illinois, Ohio St., and Michigan in that stretch. That was their difference maker between being out and inside the bubble.

3 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Scenario that would be really bad:  A 'bid stealer' such as Georgetown, gets their conference title because their opponent, Creighton in this example, has a positive show up before game time.

That is a terrifying scenario

6 minutes ago, courtside said:

Michigan St. slipped into the tourney according to some because they finished the regular season 5-2 with wins over Illinois, Ohio St., and Michigan in that stretch. That was their difference maker between being out and inside the bubble.

But what happened to the "based upon the entire body of work" standard?"  What about the rest of the games?

What about a 70 NET?  That's a low seed in the NIT, the 11th of 16 NIT (not NCAA) Bids.

The MSU Spartans Presented by Rocket Mortgage are 15-12, 9-11 in the Big Ten, 0-1 in the Big Ten Tournament, 3-8 Road, 0-1 Neutral, and 5-11 Quad 1.  Really, letting Michigan State IN, which we know is coming, stands the entire process on its head.

The goal posts for Power 5 pretenders like Michigan State move like the shifting sands of The Sahara.

11 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Scenario that would be really bad:  A 'bid stealer' such as Georgetown, gets their conference title because their opponent, Creighton in this example, has a positive show up before game time.

Why are you doing this to me

2 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

But what happened to the "based upon the entire body of work" standard?"  What about the rest of the games?

I don't want the committee to look at our entire body of work.  I want the committee to not look at our first two games following Covid.  I want the committee to look at the games before the pause, then skip to our St. Bonnie win and ignore the two L's.

Bizziken likes this

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Why are you doing this to me

The Big East board is kind of funny this morning. Some are 'encouraging' Creighton to tank so that the league gets a fourth bid.  I sincerely hope and believe that will not happen.  But if a + shows up, then all bets are off.

11 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I don't want the committee to look at our entire body of work.  I want the committee to not look at our first two games following Covid.  I want the committee to look at the games before the pause, then skip to our St. Bonnie win and ignore the two L's.

Same here.  Ignoring the first 2 post-quarantine games is a very small sample size, and justifiable in a pandemic.

But in Michigan State's case, its entire largely lousy Big Ten Conference season can't be ignored for a handful of late season games.  Michigan State at one point was 4-9 in the Big Ten, with losses at Northwestern, at Minnesota, by 30 points, 67-37, at Rutgers, with Wins over only Nebraska (x2), Rutgers at home, and Penn State at home.

Michigan State's 3 big Wins over highly ranked teams, #5 Illinois, #4 Ohio State, and #2 Michigan were all on its home court in East Lansing.  Its other 2 late season wins were over sub-.500 Indiana.

7 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

The Big East board is kind of funny this morning. Some are 'encouraging' Creighton to tank so that the league gets a fourth bid.  I sincerely hope and believe that will not happen.  But if a + shows up, then all bets are off.

While tanking may be too strong a word, I could absolutely see something akin happening.  A better word is urgency, or lack thereof.  The two teams split their regular season head to head games, each winning on the other's home court.

15 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

What about a 70 NET?  That's a low seed in the NIT, the 11th of 16 NIT (not NCAA) Bids.

The MSU Spartans Presented by Rocket Mortgage are 15-12, 9-11 in the Big Ten, 0-1 in the Big Ten Tournament, 3-8 Road, 0-1 Neutral, and 5-11 Quad 1.  Really, letting Michigan State IN, which we know is coming, stands the entire process on its head.

The goal posts for Power 5 pretenders like Michigan State move like the shifting sands of The Sahara.

I wouldn't have Michigan St. in, so I am not your target audience. 

Therr does seem to be more emphasis placed on number of types of wins vs record in types of games. The frequent response about SLU is not enough games played/wins. 

1 minute ago, courtside said:

Therr does seem to be more emphasis placed on number of types of wins vs record in types of games. The frequent response about SLU is not enough games played/wins. 

The lack of more wins away from Chaifetz really hurts are resume.

Littlebill likes this

I have no problem with Michigan State in - they’ve shown an ability to beat the best teams in the country.  If you’re looking to assemble the most competitive tourney they should be in.

What would really piss me off is MWC getting 3 bids or Drake jumping SLU

1 minute ago, courtside said:

I'm not making you a target audience;  you've merely conveyed the explanation we are hearing, and I thank you for that.

If I have a target audience for my rebuttal, it is the NCAA Committee.  But that would appear to be a lost cause.

If SLU doesn't get IN, the Lifetime Achievement gift bid about to be bestowed on Michigan State will be one of the first areas of objection.

5 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Translation: “Oh no! Duke, Kentucky, and Indiana are all out. This tournament won’t survive if Kansas is out too. It is our duty as the committee to save the NCAA tournament by making sure Kansas andVirginia play.”