Path to NCAA Tourney

Crewsorlose

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I am assuming the answer is "an abundance of caution" but this is a good and fair question 

I think you are right. Duke quit because they were done anyway. Virginia needs to get their guys all into separate hotel rooms and keep the testing going daily so that they are still eligible for the tournament that really matters next week. Abundance of caution is right.

31 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

The difference is Duke knew they weren't getting in and now this can be the technical excuse for why they didn't make it. The Duke women also shut down their season in December. Duke is just taking this more seriously than anyone else

With NET of 51 yesterday, I think Duke was still IN. Now Duke may have fallen out had it lost yesterday to FL State. Duke’s NET is 50 today, would still be IN.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m glad Duke removed itself, and over a walk on. I never could stand Duke, and Duke’s self-expulsion opened up an NCAA At Large slot.

Amid all the recent COVID news in the college hoops world, a lot of people have been asking me about the monkeys.

"Which teams have the monkeys been in contact with?"

"Where are the monkeys now?"

"How do you transport the monkeys from place to place?"

"What are the monkeys' names?"

For a number of reasons, I cannot provide answers to these questions.

But I can say this:

TRUST THE PROCESS

RUBillsFan and slufanskip like this

5 minutes ago, courtside said:

Lunardi also moved Syracuse to a better position after they lost yesterday. 

not too surprising.  close losses against good teams can do that

7 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Link? Or was it an interview?

Edit: Here it is.

C078751A-9835-4711-BE41-D77A716FD1EA.jpeg

What’s the deal with Joe Lunardi this year?

There’s no way the 12th ranked Mountain West gets 3 teams absent a bid steal, i.e. Utah State wins its tourney, God forbid.

Utah State vs. Colorado State late tonight should be an NCAA elimination game. 

Irrespective, Go Aztecs! 

Just now, Bay Area Billiken said:

There’s no way the 12th ranked Mountain West gets 3 teams absent a bid steal, i.e. Utah State wins its tourney, God forbid.

Irrespective, Go Aztecs! 

As Joe will tell you, "Its not my job to say who gets in or not, its my job to predict what I think the committee will do"

1 minute ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Or is it Joe’s job to keep things interesting from ESPN’s perspective, click bait, tv viewers, etc.?

I've never liked that dude, so not defending him at all.  He just always responds to tweets when poeple call him out and says just that.

4 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Or is it Joe’s job to keep things interesting from ESPN’s perspective, click bait, tv viewers, etc.?

Haha I’m not sure the decision of whether to include Ole Miss, SLU, or Utah State in the bracketology is going to move the needle on ESPN’s clicks or tv viewers 

8 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Amid all the recent COVID news in the college hoops world, a lot of people have been asking me about the monkeys.

"Which teams have the monkeys been in contact with?"

"Where are the monkeys now?"

"How do you transport the monkeys from place to place?"

"What are the monkeys' names?"

For a number of reasons, I cannot provide answers to these questions.

But I can say this:

TRUST THE PROCESS

1704895397_Burns_Flying_Monkeys.thumb.jpg.8df1fedadbba35796d34d60662ffe638.jpg

25 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

With NET of 51 yesterday, I think Duke was still IN. Now Duke may have fallen out had it lost yesterday to FL State. Duke’s NET is 50 today, would still be IN.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m glad Duke removed itself, and over a walk on. I never could stand Duke, and Duke’s self-expulsion opened up an NCAA At Large slot.

Duke needed to beat Florida State to get on the bubble. They weren't in.

2 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Irrespective, Go Aztecs! 

Agreed. I'm starting to think @NextYearBill may be right in that the selection committee will be more forgiving with our 30 day COVID pause than Lundardi et al. have been.  I also think at this point we can drop the additional game discussion and focus on rooting for SDSU, LSU, and Georgetown (among others). 

In honor of St. Patty's day and Selection Sunday, I suggest everyone procure a lovely bottle of Irish whiskey and get nice and toasty before they announce the field. That way we will all be well on our way to a celebratory black out by sundown! 

NextYearBill likes this

3 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Agreed. I'm starting to think @NextYearBill may be right in that the selection committee will be more forgiving with our 30 day COVID pause than Lundardi et al. have been.  I also think at this point we can drop the additional game discussion and focus on rooting for SDSU, LSU, and Georgetown (among others). 

In honor of St. Patty's day and Selection Sunday, I suggest everyone procure a lovely bottle of Irish whiskey and get nice and toasty before they announce the field. That way we will all be well on our way to a celebratory black out by sundown! 

☘️ 

The staid, boring Michigan State Spartan (MSU Spartans Presented by Rocket Mortgage) with that big, gangly helmet, can’t groove like the Billiken. 

Do the right thing, NCAA. Show some intestinal fortitude. 9-12 in conference, NET 70, is not NCAA at large worthy, even if it came from the Heavenly Host Conference.

I have to think that we are either in, or will be near the top of the alternate list.  If we are on the alternate list, there's a good chance that we end up in the field with at least a few teams having to bow out.

This is why I think another game is too risky.  Could be a situation where it may only have the opportunity to hurt us.

Here's how NCAA is handling positive tests prior to Selection Sunday:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/virginia-covid-ncaa-tournament/xtnlydufox1w1kbcvck17822x

“Beginning approximately Saturday, March 6, all individuals in the official travel party of 34 will require seven consecutive daily negative COVID-19 tests prior to arrival in Indianapolis.

If a participant tests positive prior to arrival into Indianapolis, or is determined to be a close contact, they will be managed by the local public health authority and cannot travel to Indianapolis until their period of isolation or quarantine is completed.”

This is not necessarily a complication for the NCAA Tournament selection committee. It has set an 11 p.m. Saturday deadline for teams to inform the NCAA that their medical situation would not permit sending a team to Indianapolis.

That leaves plenty of time for committee members to adjust the seed list, if necessary, and to compile the official bracket when they commence work on Sunday.