Path to NCAA Tourney

Crewsorlose

25 minutes ago, kshoe said:

The fact Duke just bowed out of the ACC tournament because of 1 positive COIVD test has me rethinking the likelihood of a team dropping out of the NCAA tourney between selection Sunday and 6 PM on Tuesday when the reserve teams could be added. After 6 PM it will just be viewed as a forfeit.

The 5 player thing isn't really a major factor, as basically once you have one positive test among a group that has been practicing and playing together, it's going to be hard for the rest of the team to continue playing if there is a chance they have COVID...

I wonder if the rules are different for a team (SLU) that has had the virus. CDC now says if you have had it within 90 days and you are a close contact, you don't need to quarantine.  Hmmm.

The 5 player issue is a travesty.  I'm not going to research it, but was any NCAA D1 game this season been played with all 5 players going 40 minutes?  (I'd look at St.B first if I was digging into this.)  A foul out or an injury and you are looking at playing an NCAA Tourney game 4 on 5.  Would the refs tend to not call fouls to prevent a foul out?  Too much on the line to go this way.  6 or 7 players would, for me, help keep the integrity of the situation intact.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I'm a Duke hater too, so try this on for size: Duke knows that if they have a positive COVID and continue to play they are going to get pounded by the media and Duke haters alike. They also know they likely aren't going to the NCAA tourney anyway so it's not that hard of a decision to take the "moral" high ground.

Whether a team that is a 7 seed and receives a positive result back on Monday will come to the same conclusion that they need to shut down the season and allow one of the reserve teams into the tourney is a whole different story. I really don't know what will happen in that scenario.

The other side of this coin is that Duke played Louisville last night.  Louisville is very much on the bubble and would be a potential opponent for us to add.  However, I can't imagine we're keen on playing them knowing they had exposure.

I really hope the L to Duke knocks Louisville out.  I think our overall resume is better than theirs,  but I'm not sure the selection committee sees it that way.  

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

St. Bonnie is the number 1 reason we are in this pickle. If you played any decent team non-conference (another Covid issue) and surprised them, you would have been ranked, and then we would be fine today.

No one on this board thought ossunyi was very good, but we have shut up about it now. 7’8” wingspan. That is pretty freaking rare.

-not this, we made our own bed

brianstl likes this

8 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Could be that they also want to protect their coach, who hopefully is vaccinated, but do not see any risk on him as worth it. Makes some sense. Love him or hate him, but no one really compares to him.

For what it’s worth he was out early in the non-con schedule when they were getting crushed saying why are we even doing this? He was being a HUGE whiner.

4 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

They should give the players vaccines.  Everyone at risk of dying already has them

3 days removed from my 1st and I'm still sick as a dog.  Could be a lot of sloppy ball for a few days

Just now, HoosierPal said:

Ouch.  The second shot is supposed to be the one that 'gets you'.  Good luck my friend.

im hoping that since I got rocked after the 1st, the 2nd wont be bad.  lets hope. 

43 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Why does uga over mizzou help SLU?

UGA is 95 in the NET rankings, Mizzou is 47 - one behind SLU. Another loss for Mizzou helps muddy up the bubble around us, no?

Just now, Pistol said:

UGA is 95 in the NET rankings, Mizzou is 47 - one behind SLU. Another loss for Mizzou helps muddy up the bubble around us, no?

Had they lost to Florida last week, I'd agree.  I dont see anyway they finish lower than an 8/9 seed.  Way too many Q1 wins. 

Littlebill likes this

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

Had they lost to Florida last week, I'd agree.  I dont see anyway they finish lower than an 8/9 seed.  Way too many Q1 wins. 

I think they're still in, don't get me wrong. It's just that if I had to pick a winner in this one that would benefit us, it's Georgia. Mizzou dropping in the NET rankings makes us look better by comparison. It's not the ultimate decider, it may not move the needle much - it's just every little bit that helps.

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

I think they're still in, don't get me wrong. It's just that if I had to pick a winner in this one that would benefit us, it's Georgia. Mizzou dropping in the NET rankings makes us look better by comparison. It's not the ultimate decider, it may not move the needle much - it's just every little bit that helps.

I get what you're saying. 

15 minutes ago, wgstl said:

3 days removed from my 1st and I'm still sick as a dog.  Could be a lot of sloppy ball for a few days

Interesting. Three days since my first also. Didn't feel the needle go in, no arm soreness, feel fine overall. Mine was Moderna by the way. Oh, and I'm an OLD guy. (Not THE old Guy of course.)

BilliKat likes this

18 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Any chance you had an asymptomatic infection earlier? In my own experience and in other's I've talked to, the first shot is bad if you were previously infected. Basically you're second exposure to the virus will make you feel crummy, whether that's the second shot or your first shot if you had the virus

SLU_Lax likes this

Just now, White Pelican said:

Interesting. Three days since my first also. Didn't feel the needle go in, no arm soreness, feel fine overall. Mine was Moderna by the way. Oh, and I'm an OLD guy. (Not THE old Guy of course.)

The injection was perfect, didn't even know it happened. That day was light soreness, over night into the next day it was pretty sore.  Arm started feeling better then boom. body ache along with fever and chills.  Im only 30.  If the 2nd shot is this bad, tbh getting covid would not have been much worse.

1 minute ago, Deutschkind said:

Any chance you had an asymptomatic infection earlier? In my own experience and in other's I've talked to, the first shot is bad if you were previously infected. Basically you're second exposure to the virus will make you feel crummy, whether that's the second shot or your first shot if you had the virus

hmmm, could have been the case.

SLU_Lax likes this

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

hmmm, could have been the case.

I had the infection in December and then got the vaccine in December (as a doctor, they made us all get vaccinated even if we already were infected). I felt awful for about 24 hours and then much better

32 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

A walk-on ends Duke's season.

does the ncaa still not allow walkons to stay in the same housing, eat at team meals practice off season, etc?   i ask because if that is the case, wouldnt it have increased the chances of this happening since that walkon would have been more exposed to the rest of the student population than the team?   been a long time since i've been a campus guy, so help an old guy out here folks with some current info on such.