Path to NCAA Tourney

Crewsorlose

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, brownindians said:

Is it just me or, does the Selection Committee,  have a bias against A-10 Teams?

A-10 commissioner is on the selection committee this year.  I think there is some rule that she has to sit out when A10 teams are being discussed, but we all know there is probably backdoor lobbying going on.  Need her to lobby hard for the A10.

8 hours ago, brownindians said:

Is it just me or, does the Selection Committee,  have a bias against A-10 Teams?

I think since Xavier, Butler, and Temple moved on it hurt the strength of the league.  I think the selection committee has gotten it right the last few years.  This season the A10 is strong and more than 2 teams should get in.  Your team and VCU are in and we will see soon by the seedlings how bias it is. I am very interested in what your Bonnies will do in the big dance.  It would be fun to see your Bonnies in the final 4.

billiken_roy likes this

Ive said it many times.   I like schmidt.   Hes probably the best thing thats ever happened to st bonnie basketball.   I sure hope they will do whatever they need to do to keep him as their success is good for the conference.   Good luck mr indian for your teams upcoming journey both on and off the court.

11 hours ago, brownindians said:

St. Bonnie is the number 1 reason we are in this pickle. If you played any decent team non-conference (another Covid issue) and surprised them, you would have been ranked, and then we would be fine today.

No one on this board thought ossunyi was very good, but we have shut up about it now. 7’8” wingspan. That is pretty freaking rare.

Just now, billikenbill said:

Duke's season is over. Positive covid test. One more off the bubble.

Would rather have seen a healthy Duke lose to FSU, but it helps SLU regardless.

We got a favor from Butler.

The biggest help we can get today is in the MWC - hopefully Nevada really has Boise State's number. UNLV over Utah State isn't unreasonable. Fresno State has been playing well lately, could take CSU. These are basically all 60/40 games in my eyes. Good chance to get one, I'd be really happy with two, and beyond thrilled with all three.

We need Wisconsin to take down Penn State. Probably need Michigan State over Maryland, with whoever wins losing the next game. Virginia over Syracuse, Ball State over Toledo, Miami-OH over Buffalo, Georgia over Mizzou, South Carolina over Ole Miss, probably Rutgers over Indiana.

I'm torn on Kentucky-Mississippi State and St. John's-Seton Hall - I think the most important thing there is the winners losing tomorrow.

We need the locks to beat any potential bid stealers in multi-bid conferences.

We're not going to get all of this, but hopefully it's a chaotic day with a lot of upsets.

stmdragons likes this

6 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Duke's season is over. Positive covid test. One more off the bubble.

shows just how likely it is for one of the 64 teams to get rocked right before the tournament happens. 

17 hours ago, kshoe said:

As I said before, I don't hold out much hope for teams dropping out between selection Sunday and the start of the tournament on Friday, but I'm not sure the 5 players thing provides as much protection as people assume.

Let's say a team is playing in their conference tournament this weekend and plays until Saturday. They then sit around on Sunday waiting for their name to be called, before heading to Indy for a week of practice. If on Tuesday one player tests positive and on Thursday two more test positive, at that point the whole team would be viewed as at risk for Friday/Saturday, even if the other 10 continue to test negative. There would be the usual twitter mob / coronabros saying that you are putting the opposing teams lives at risk by forcing unpaid players on the court against this potential infectious group of players. The same logic that SLU used to not play Richmond that game would be used here; it's just too dangerous.

Oddly, the one team best prepared for such a scenario would be SLU as any of the players that were infected back in January would still be in their 3 month window where they are deemed unable to get it again and would be eligible to play. Once you get to 3 months and 1 day past infection, the mindset changes and any teammates that had contact with a player that tests positive will fall under the window of needing to quarantine. That's where the grey area of contact tracing could help teams, but if the outbreak goes beyond one or two players and is over multiple days, I think the entirety of the team will have to bow out.

Again, I think it's unlikely the scenario above plays out, but it's not a case where 9 of 13 players need to test positive for the team to be unable to play.

The fact Duke just bowed out of the ACC tournament because of 1 positive COIVD test has me rethinking the likelihood of a team dropping out of the NCAA tourney between selection Sunday and 6 PM on Tuesday when the reserve teams could be added. After 6 PM it will just be viewed as a forfeit.

The 5 player thing isn't really a major factor, as basically once you have one positive test among a group that has been practicing and playing together, it's going to be hard for the rest of the team to continue playing if there is a chance they have COVID...

cgeldmacher likes this

15 minutes ago, Pistol said:

We need Wisconsin to take down Penn State. Probably need Michigan State over Maryland, with whoever wins losing the next game. Virginia over Syracuse, Ball State over Toledo, Miami-OH over Buffalo, Georgia over Mizzou, South Carolina over Ole Miss, probably Rutgers over Indiana.

Why does uga over mizzou help SLU?

48 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Is Tim Doyle a bonnies guy?  Because thats the most bona fans ive seen all on one tweet. 

I know it was a joke....but he's from Long Island, started at St. John's, finished at Northwestern. He's mostly done BTN, Bulls, NBA since. I'm not a big fan of his personality/approach, but SLU can take any good pub it can get. (And enough respected people, Jordan Cornette, Teddy Greenstein, etc...are friends with him.)

Just now, Littlebill said:

Thought the same thing. They're a really salty bunch. Guess you get that was when you're 1-3 in your last 4 vs Ford

What in gods name would want them to root against SLU getting in. This is like the overrated chant. 

Littlebill likes this

13 minutes ago, kshoe said:

The fact Duke just bowed out of the ACC tournament because of 1 positive COIVD test has been rethinking the likelihood of a team dropping out of the NCAA tourney between selection Sunday and 6 PM on Tuesday when the reserve teams could be added. After 6 PM it will just be viewed as a forfeit.

The 5 player thing isn't really a major factor, as basically once you have one positive test among a group that has been practicing and playing together, it's going to be hard for the rest of the team to continue playing if there is a chance they have COVID...

I was just going to comment on this and ask you were walking back your thinking.  I've swung wildly back and forth on how likely I think it is a team will drop out.  When it was first announced I thought it it was pretty likely just because of the high # of teams, number of cancelled games/pauses during the season and potential exposure from conference tournaments.  Then I thought about dropping case #s overall and your other arguments and I swung back the other way.  Now I'm back to thinking it may be kind of likely again. 

Although the Duke hating part of me wonders if they #1 figured that not playing this game is better for their NCAA chances than a likely result of getting demolished by FSU OR #2 they want to save face by saving that their season ending due to COVID and not because they suck and weren't going to make the tournament.

2 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I was just going to comment on this and ask you were walking back your thinking.  I've swung wildly back and forth on how likely I think it is a team will drop out.  When it was first announced I thought it it was pretty likely just because of the high # of teams, number of cancelled games/pauses during the season and potential exposure from conference tournaments.  Then I thought about dropping case #s overall and your other arguments and I swung back the other way.  Now I'm back to thinking it may be kind of likely again. 

Although the Duke hating part of me wonders if they #1 figured that not playing this game is better for their NCAA chances than a likely result of getting demolished by FSU OR #2 they want to save face by saving that their season ending due to COVID and not because they suck and weren't going to make the tournament.

I'm a Duke hater too, so try this on for size: Duke knows that if they have a positive COVID and continue to play they are going to get pounded by the media and Duke haters alike. They also know they likely aren't going to the NCAA tourney anyway so it's not that hard of a decision to take the "moral" high ground.

Whether a team that is a 7 seed and receives a positive result back on Monday will come to the same conclusion that they need to shut down the season and allow one of the reserve teams into the tourney is a whole different story. I really don't know what will happen in that scenario.

The Athletic has a nice article on all the protocols that will be in place in Indianapolis. Based on reading that, I think there is enough in place that will keep teams afloat once everyone gets there and tests negative. The issue is going to be with teams that have a positive test right before and/or teams that test positive right when they get there. The contact tracing and general protocols that are in place for Indy seem really good. Everything that happens prior puts teams at risk. 

Just now, kshoe said:

I'm a Duke hater too, so try this on for size: Duke knows that if they have a positive COVID and continue to play they are going to get pounded by the media and Duke haters alike. They also know they likely aren't going to the NCAA tourney anyway so it's not that hard of a decision to take the "moral" high ground.

Whether a team that is a 7 seed and receives a positive result back on Monday will come to the same conclusion that they need to shut down the season and allow one of the reserve teams into the tourney is a whole different story. I really don't know what will happen in that scenario.

Could be that they also want to protect their coach, who hopefully is vaccinated, but do not see any risk on him as worth it. Makes some sense. Love him or hate him, but no one really compares to him.