Path to NCAA Tourney

Crewsorlose

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

The second, lower part of this series is what I find interesting.  You can play with only 5 dressed.  And they could of course be walk-on's. 

Well in that case, why limit teams by requiring them to have 5 players dress? 

Frank Cusumano, keeping the Billiken Fire on 590 KFNS this morning, said there are 3 key games today from the SLU perspective:

1. NC State vs. Syracuse in the ACC Tourney- We root for the NC State Wolfpack.  Frank said an NC State would damage Syracuse's NCAA chances, also help SLU's NET since SLU beat NC State.

2. Xavier vs. Butler in the Big East- We root for Butler.  Frank rightly says we need to get Xavier out of there.  Xavier (NET 58) should not be in the discussion, but is.  Addendum:  The Big East will remain problematic.  Seton Hall plays St. John's tomorrow in a virtual NCAA Elimination Game.  We need both out of there ASAP.  One is going to win, and we need that one to lose Friday.  My belief is the Big East is going to get at least 1 more NCAA team to make 4;  we need to keep the Big East at 3.

3. Boise State vs. Nevada tonight in the Mountain West.  We root for Coach Steve Alford's Nevada (Reno) Wolf Pack.

I'll add today's Louisville vs. Duke game in the ACC.  We need Duke out of there, just because it's Duke.  But also, Duke suddenly has a NET of 51;  Louisville is 52.  I think Duke's NCAA slim hopes die if Duke loses today.

Edit:  Boise State vs. Nevada in the Mountain West is Thursday at 4:30 p.m. Central on CBSSN.

cgeldmacher and gabriel like this

Apologies to anyone on the board who had kids later in life.  I gotta say that it is kinda weird that Jim Boeheim age 76 has a kid who is aged 21 and in college.  Boeheim's wife Juli is only 54(!), so she was only 33 when she had Buddy.

Anyways, I hope that f*cker starts missing some shots.

19 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Apologies to anyone on the board who had kids later in life.  I gotta say that it is kinda weird that Jim Boeheim age 76 has a kid who is aged 21 and in college.  Boeheim's wife Juli is only 54(!), so she was only 33 when she had Buddy.

Anyways, I hope that f*cker starts missing some shots.

He was born the year Syracuse went 26-6 and to the Sweet Sixteen with Etan Thomas and Jason Hart. Doesn't seem like all that long ago, and Jim Boeheim certainly didn't seem like a young man at the time. Buddy would've been 3 when they won the national title with Anthony, Warrick, McNamara, and Duany.

This one's over, and it has been for a while. It isn't just Boeheim. The whole team is 13-26 from 3.

Not a great showing by Hellems for NC State today.

One more win by a team on the bubble and we're out no matter what Q2 team we line up to play.   And there's like 6 bubble elimination games remaining this week.  If the extended COVID pause argument doesn't sway the committee, there is no path to the NCAA. 

As a guy who's seen a lot of Billiken seasons with no postseason, I still see value in a NIT berth.  But I can understand why some fans will take a long time to get over the disappointment, if ever.

7 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

One more win by a team on the bubble and we're out no matter what Q2 team we line up to play.   And there's like 6 bubble elimination games remaining this week.  If the extended COVID pause argument doesn't sway the committee, there is no path to the NCAA. 

As a guy who's seen a lot of Billiken seasons with no postseason, I still see value in a NIT berth.  But I can understand why some fans will take a long time to get over the disappointment, if ever.

I think you're right on all counts. I think the NIT is a failed season (Carter was running a Twitter poll and the results were pretty close), but there is value in the player development angle for the future. For a senior dominated team, it's a bit harder to justify. 

I wonder if the NCAA is smart enough to tell the "alternates" that they can only be on the list if they sign onto playing in the NIT.

20 minutes ago, JettFlight5 said:

I think you're right on all counts. I think the NIT is a failed season (Carter was running a Twitter poll and the results were pretty close), but there is value in the player development angle for the future. For a senior dominated team, it's a bit harder to justify. 

I wonder if the NCAA is smart enough to tell the "alternates" that they can only be on the list if they sign onto playing in the NIT.

I'm pretty sure they said exactly that.

I don't hold out much hope for any of the first four out getting someone to cancel at this point. 1) Case numbers are down everywhere fairly dramatically at this point. 2) There is enough grey area in the contact tracing department rules that activity that might have been deemed too risk to play back in November and December will be deemed OK to play in March when the games and $ really count. It's just the way of the world. Short of a team having an undeniable outbreak amongst multiple players testing positive I don't see any teams selected not being able to play in their first round game.