Path to NCAA Tourney

Crewsorlose

There are two paths:

1. Win A-10 Tournament

2. Beat U-Mass. SLU enters A-10 Tourney seeded anywhere between 3 and 6. Will need to win potential Thursday game, Friday game, and Saturday game against Bonnies or VCU. Three more wins, including a Quad 1 victory next Saturday, gives SLU a NET between 30-35. A loss in the finals to SBU, VCU, or Richmond won't drop the NET more than a slot or two. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

There are two paths:

1. Win A-10 Tournament

2. Beat U-Mass. SLU enters A-10 Tourney seeded anywhere between 3 and 6. Will need to win potential Thursday game, Friday game, and Saturday game against Bonnies or VCU. Three more wins, including a Quad 1 victory next Saturday, gives SLU a NET between 30-35. A loss in the finals to SBU, VCU, or Richmond won't drop the NET more than a slot or two. 

I think it’s super important to be in the national spotlight on Selection Sunday.  If I’m not mistaken the A10 championship is the very last game.  Getting that attention I think is really important.

Also I think LSU and NCST can both make some noise in their respective tournaments - both have been playing well

27 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

There are two paths:

1. Win A-10 Tournament

Your #2 only works if the Selection Committee believes the A10 deserves 3 teams.  Right now I am thinking that only 2 but other things in other conferences could change that also.

billiken_roy likes this

17 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Your #2 only works if the Selection Committee believes the A10 deserves 3 teams.  Right now I am thinking that only 2 but other things in other conferences could change that also.

Not only that, but it probably only works if the final loss is to VCU or St. Bonaventure. I doubt the selection committee would give us an at-large bid as the 4th A10 team in.

15 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

We all know our downside - missing the NCAA tournament. What is our seeding upside if we win out through the A10 tournament? I assume that would put our NET around 30 with a 16-5 record and 2 of the losses potentially weighted less harshly because of COVID.

8 or 9 I’d think.  This the best case scenario for the league as I think we’d get 3 teams.

I think if we can win out until the A10 title game with a close loss in the finals, we could get a bid.  I think the committee could look at our early season numbers and write off the slump to COVID. 

That said, we will need to play better than we did last night to do it.  Let’s just win the tournament and not have to worry about it.

RUBillsFan likes this

3 hours ago, cheeseman said:

The committee just doesn't think that way. VCU may also lose today and get bounced by a George-Mason team on Friday and be on the outside. 

17 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

Don’t flatter ourselves...the SEC is supposed to get 7 teams when the A10 pounded them in non conference. .500 SEC teams are seeded 4th in some projections. Does that make sense?

Ive said it a million times. The A10 is just the SEC without football and hot coeds.

Like Rothstein said earlier, SLU is one of the hardest teams to get a handle on in terms of resume. Good win vs. LSU and Bonaventure by 10+. Bad losses to LaSalle, UD twice, and Minnesota turned back into a pumpkin because of brutal Big 10 schedule...only one road win at Fordham. 

Probably best to take it out of the committee’s hands.

13 minutes ago, JettFlight5 said:

Like Rothstein said earlier, SLU is one of the hardest teams to get a handle on in terms of resume. Good win vs. LSU and Bonaventure by 10+. Bad losses to LaSalle, UD twice, and Minnesota turned back into a pumpkin because of brutal Big 10 schedule...only one road win at Fordham. 

Probably best to take it out of the committee’s hands.

The Minnesota loss isn’t a bad loss at all FYI they’re on the bubble