GDT: vs Richmond

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

A few observations from section 211

we gifted Richmond 3 or 4 horrible turnovers and they scored zero points on them. Think they missed a fast break layup and shot a couple of early 3s. 

I thought Thatch actually had a pretty poor defensive game for most of the night but then he absolutely locked Richmond down in the last 6 minutes and obviously scored some huge buckets. Credit to Ford for sticking with him

Hargrove looks like he could be a corner 3 type of guy. If he hits those consistently, I can't wait to see him with a pump fake, blow by, thunderous Baseline drive dunk 

One play in the 2nd half, Jimerson curled around a double screen and all 3 defenders went towards him leaving the paint wide open and we got an easy layup. That's the type of effect shooters have on your offense. I do hope he plays more than 10 mins a game down the stretch here because he can shoot and he does open up the offense but Thatch and Hargrove are earning minutes too. I think you'll see some inconsistent lineups game to game to finish the season and I'm okay with that 

I think much of the board has been asking to play French with another big man at the same time for most of the season. It worked well last year and I was surprised to see us go away from that. I don't think you do that for 30-40 minutes but I do like those lineups to overpower teams

I do think Richmond is overrated and I still don't think we played a great game last night but to me that was a huge win. We have the most talented team in the conference but we have played with no confidence lately. That needs to rebuild and then I like our chances to make a deep run

The problem with playing another big with French is who is out - GJ or Thatch or Jacobs or Hargrove.  I am not saying it is not something to do from time to time but then you put more pressure on Goodwin and Perkins to shoot from the outside.  Everything has a plus and a minus - pick your poison I guess.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, CBFan said:

7 fouls SLU 0 fouls Richmond 

And Chris May giving the refs hell. 4-0, 5-0, 6-0, 7-0!!  Chis was getting louder and louder. Refs definitely heard him.  One of the girls I was with says “that guy is intense!”  I told her he was Ford’s boss.  She says “you have to love an AD with that kind of passion and energy!” 

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

The problem with playing another big with French is who is out - GJ or Thatch or Jacobs or Hargrove.  I am not saying it is not something to do from time to time but then you put more pressure on Goodwin and Perkins to shoot from the outside.  Everything has a plus and a minus - pick your poison I guess.

I understand now why Linssen didn't see the floor much at Valpo and had to transfer to a weaker conference.  It wasn't his skill level, it was his foul rate.  It's better than it was at Valpo but it's still an alarming 8.1 per 40 min. 

The greatest benefit of having Linssen is to back up Has when needed.  If he is already in foul trouble in the first half playing alongside Has, that benefit is taken away.

Littlebill likes this

44 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

And Chris May giving the refs hell. 4-0, 5-0, 6-0, 7-0!!  Chis was getting louder and louder. Refs definitely heard him.  One of the girls I was with says “that guy is intense!”  I told her he was Ford’s boss.  She says “you have to love an AD with that kind of passion and energy!” 

I had the good fortune to sit next to Chris several years ago at a road game. He is definitely a passionate fan. 

19 hours ago, Gremio14 said:

I was at a sparsely attended women’s game several years ago (Sadie S. era) and witnessed several dubious calls.  A fan in the section one over from me started getting on the refs louder and louder. When he started calling them a bunch of clowns (and I’m sure they heard him) I looked over. It was Chris May.