GDT: vs Richmond

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A win is a win. That’s the most important thing but this game doesn’t help my confidence going forward. 
I really thought they were going to throttle them.

The first half was nice...what happened in the second?

Let’s get a win Monday then kick some ass for a few weeks!

8 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Yuri had a tough stretch of turnovers but ended the night with 9 assists.  

which is why you have to let players who have proven themselves over time work through the ups and downs. If a 40% 3 pt shooter hits 2 in a row he'll miss 6 out of his next 8 on average. I'll take 9/4 all day long. Plus weren't we playing against a guy who is pretty good at causing turnovers and getting steals possibly the best in the country

Didn’t get to watch or listen last night so watching the replay now. At the first half under 12 timeout and Bills look sharp with ball movement. Need to cut down on the risky passes and make some shots. 

Blake Francis, how good is that guy? Second coming of Calvin Murphy, and, of course, he airballs a three. Still, he’s gonna get paid somewhere. As expected Cayo is giving us fits early.

It’s obvious that French’s FT shooting form has improved. Instead of shotputting it, he’s getting some backbend in it. Keep that up and he might hit 50% for the rest of the year. 

Not sure why the offensive flow changed in the second half but the turnovers are maddening. Tied at 47-47 at this point. Francis 5-7 from the arc.

17 hours ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

I’ll take the win but come on Bills -5 and Goodwin misses 2 free throws? Perkins misses 1 before that? Unreal 

I had the exact same situation. Actually got me thinking....Perkins and Goodwin both miss free throws...point shaving scheme? Maybe why we've been playing so "poorly" lately? 

Yikes people taking this too seriously

Another good game by French who is looking more like he did last year. 
Improved health makes a difference for Yuri.
Love the first half game plan and execution.  A definite and concerted effort to pound the ball inside. And guess what, it worked. And no, I don’t expect the Travis Ford haters to notice it much less mention it. 
No shooting opportunities for our best outside shooter  Still work to be done and improvement  

More poor defense by Perkins, Hargrove and Thatch but Fred redeemed that and his missed shots with a huge 3 pointer after being left alone in the corner. 
Game should not have been so close ... .but we are back on a roll

Big game Monday !!

15 hours ago, wgstl said:

Here’s the thing, if we shoot above 35% from 3, we just may win out 

Could not agree more.

Bad turnovers, sloppy defense, what some call bad coaching, can all be overcome with good shooting.

Thats the one consistent thing in all the losses...poor shooting.

Just get  hot and we can win this thing.

A few observations from section 211

we gifted Richmond 3 or 4 horrible turnovers and they scored zero points on them. Think they missed a fast break layup and shot a couple of early 3s. 

I thought Thatch actually had a pretty poor defensive game for most of the night but then he absolutely locked Richmond down in the last 6 minutes and obviously scored some huge buckets. Credit to Ford for sticking with him

Hargrove looks like he could be a corner 3 type of guy. If he hits those consistently, I can't wait to see him with a pump fake, blow by, thunderous Baseline drive dunk 

One play in the 2nd half, Jimerson curled around a double screen and all 3 defenders went towards him leaving the paint wide open and we got an easy layup. That's the type of effect shooters have on your offense. I do hope he plays more than 10 mins a game down the stretch here because he can shoot and he does open up the offense but Thatch and Hargrove are earning minutes too. I think you'll see some inconsistent lineups game to game to finish the season and I'm okay with that 

I think much of the board has been asking to play French with another big man at the same time for most of the season. It worked well last year and I was surprised to see us go away from that. I don't think you do that for 30-40 minutes but I do like those lineups to overpower teams

I do think Richmond is overrated and I still don't think we played a great game last night but to me that was a huge win. We have the most talented team in the conference but we have played with no confidence lately. That needs to rebuild and then I like our chances to make a deep run