Brighton

5 minutes ago, slu72 said:

A mid major Midwest version of the Beast would be a good conference: 

LOYOLA - one NCAA app in 35 years

BELMONT - hard to tell since the Asun and OVC is so bad

DRAKE - One NCAA app in 50 years

BRADLEY - I could be down with this

VALPO - if Valpo is your bottom feeder, great. 

DAYTON -  would like

Littlebill likes this

5 minutes ago, slu72 said:

SLU

LOYOLA

BELMONT 

DRAKE 

BRADLEY 

VALPO

DAYTON

But then who? You can’t have a 7 team conf these days because of conferences scheduling more in conf games. I can’t think of any other private MW schools that take BB seriously enough to put the best product on the floor. You need at a minimum 3 more schools, and you don’t want to add 3 bottom feeders just to fill in the blanks. 

Does Valpo really "take BB seriously"? This is Drake's first decent year in how long... and I'm not sure they'd even be a double bye-level team in the a10

It isn't going to happen, but the answer is to have programs from both the WCC and A10 leave to form a new 14 or 16 private school conference with membership split evenly among the two former conferences. In sports that aren't basketball you have two divisions based on previous conference membership that don't have to play each other until the conference tournament to control cost.

If the Big 12 were to expand , I would expect to see UCF mentioned.

One play the A-10 could make, try to lure Wichita State from the AAC, look everyone else has football, but you, how do you think any decisions will play out, in that regard?

Personally I think , right now , the A-10 has actually got a pretty good TV deal, with CBS College Sports and NBC Sports. Of course,  that probably will all change with streaming, going to cost.

What about this?  Create a nationwide basketball only conference made up of schools that aren't in the Big East and don't have or don't heavily rely on football.  Then decide if our other sports teams should be in the A-10 or MVC.  For those that don't know this, there are several situations where schools are in different conferences for different sports.

SLU, Dayton, Gonzaga, St. Mary's, VCU, Loyola Chicago, St. Joe's and/or Temple (for the Philly market), Belmont??,  Wichita State??,  Richmond??, Drake??, Bradley??  Davidson??

I would say that SLU, Dayton, Gonzaga, St. Mary's, VCU are the top choices.  Then Loyola Chicago, St. Joes' and Temple next.  That makes 8.  I would then do Davidson and Wichita State to get to 10.  If you wanted to do 11 go get to a 20 game conference schedule, you could pick from the others.  My picks are based on traditional success and the likelihood of future success more so that recent success.

5 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

What about this?  Create a nationwide basketball only conference made up of schools that aren't in the Big East and don't have or don't heavily rely on football.  Then decide if our other sports teams should be in the A-10 or MVC.  For those that don't know this, there are several situations where schools are in different conferences for different sports.

SLU, Dayton, Gonzaga, St. Mary's, VCU, Loyola Chicago, St. Joe's and/or Temple (for the Philly market), Belmont??,  Wichita State??,  Richmond??, Drake??, Bradley??  Davidson??

I would say that SLU, Dayton, Gonzaga, St. Mary's, VCU are the top choices.  Then Loyola Chicago, St. Joes' and Temple next.  That makes 8.  I would then do Davidson and Wichita State to get to 10.  If you wanted to do 11 go get to a 20 game conference schedule, you could pick from the others.  My picks are based on traditional success and the likelihood of future success more so that recent success.

Temple was ranked in football just 5 seasons ago. They wont move their basketball program. 

I also considered ease of getting to the cities where these teams play.  If you are doing a nationwide conference, you need to make it easy for teams to fly to games.  This makes it harder to include teams like Bonaventure, Wichita State, Drake, Bradley.  Using this criteria would give a bump in consideration for Belmont (Nashville) and the Philadelphia teams.  Also, St. Mary's is just outside of Oakland.  Davidson is just outside of Charlotte.

33 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Hold up.  Before we go inviting more Midwestern schools to the A10, keep in mind that there are still a few schools in Philadelphia and Richmond that we need to add first.

Those midwestern schools need to get in line behind Old Dominion, Drexel and James Madison.  That is what the A10 needs.

Box and Won likes this

19 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Those midwestern schools need to get in line behind Old Dominion, Drexel and James Madison.  That is what the A10 needs.

The Five City Conference: 

• Pittsburgh: Duquesne, Robert Morris
  • Richmond: VCU, Richmond
  • DC: GW, GMU, JMU, American
  • Baltimore: Towson, UMBC, Loyola (MD)
  • Philly: LaSalle, St. Joe's, Drexel

Fordham, UMass and URI to the Patriot; SLU and Dayton to the Big East or AAC. 

wgstl and Box and Won like this

10 minutes ago, Compton said:

The Five City Conference: 

• Pittsburgh: Duquesne, Robert Morris
  • Richmond: VCU, Richmond
  • DC: GW, GMU, JMU, American
  • Baltimore: Towson, UMBC, Loyola (MD)
  • Philly: LaSalle, St. Joe's, Drexel

Fordham, UMass and URI to the Patriot; SLU and Dayton to the Big East or AAC. 

vcu would be so mad, I'd love to see it. 

On 2/25/2021 at 11:36 AM, wgstl said:

DAYTON -  would like

I would be fine with this. All of these ADs need to get together and make this happen.

On 2/25/2021 at 10:36 AM, wgstl said:

DAYTON -  would like

Too narrow geographically to get national attention