Jump to content

Official SLU News: VB PREVIEW: Billikens Travel to Milwaukee for Two


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, courtside said:

SLU Volleyball playing right now, a mid-day matchup at Top 25 Marquette, on Marquette's website. Close first set.

They showed pretty well in this match. That being said I’m pretty much done with the Kent Miller era of SLU Volleyball. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Miller has bungled the local recruiting scene since day 1. For those unaware, St.Louis is a hot bed of volleyball talent and Miller has all but ignored the best local talent. By the time he gets around to making offers he is usually left with what's left, and in a sport that the top kids often commit early in high school, it's a recipe for disaster. Playing in an awful conference has been his saving grace. However, things are looking up. The addition of a couple of assistants who were hell bent on going local paid off this year with the addition of 3 top St. Louis kids.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

i would bet the budget for slu volleyball isnt in the top half of the A10 teams let alone the level needed to compete with the national programs that are getting the best local volleyball ladies.    

i dont pretend to know much about slu volleyball.  cant name a single player.   but knowing slu and their likelihood of going on the cheap for anything athletic related, it wouldnt surprise me if miller isnt competing with one hand tied behind his back before the roll one ball on the court.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i would bet the budget for slu volleyball isnt in the top half of the A10 teams let alone the level needed to compete with the national programs that are getting the best local volleyball ladies.    

i dont pretend to know much about slu volleyball.  cant name a single player.   but knowing slu and their likelihood of going on the cheap for anything athletic related, it wouldnt surprise me if miller isnt competing with one hand tied behind his back before the roll one ball on the court.

This is a bad take and I’ll tell you why. You severely overestimate the commitment to volleyball in the A10. LaSalle for the longest time didn’t have a full time paid assistant. You literally only have to compete with Dayton and to a lesser extent VCU.  If you can’t split the home and home with Dayton year in and year out you don’t belong at the helm of SLU Volleyball. Kent Miller has gotten 3-0d at home multiple times by A10 teams not named Dayton or VCU. Before this year they hadn’t beaten dayton home or away since 9/29/2013 that’s not just bad it’s sad. Miller is the Jim Crews of SLU Volleyball, Anne Kordes came in, was a Tasmanian Devil or energy and charisma, made 2 NCAA tourneys showed us what Volleyball at SLU could be capable of and Miller has completely torpedoed everything that was built with poor recruiting, poor coaching and just the most boring vanilla personality I’ve ever seen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

well then it seems if slu put some finanicial efforts into the program they could dominate.   your vendetta against this coach, who i know nothing about other than what you have brought to the board, is clouding your perception of the problem.   if he is a problem, sure get rid of him.  but if the BoT/ AD doesnt want to switch horses because of contract fallout then that backs up the money for the program issue.   plus if the program was funded well they could get a new coach AND spend more on recruiting.

as i said in a previous post, i know nothing about slu's volleyball team.   i was just questioning the financial commitment by slu and asking if it was a problem and typically that translates into recruiting problems.   but apparently you believe the program has all the funds they need they just need a new coach.   great then all we have to do is go hire another junior high coach to compete against all the other a-10 teams that dont care and apparently according to you we will win big in the conference.   seems like it is all laid out.  this should be easy to turn around.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

well then it seems if slu put some finanicial efforts into the program they could dominate.   your vendetta against this coach, who i know nothing about other than what you have brought to the board, is clouding your perception of the problem.   if he is a problem, sure get rid of him.  but if the BoT/ AD doesnt want to switch horses because of contract fallout then that backs up the money for the program issue.   plus if the program was funded well they could get a new coach AND spend more on recruiting.

as i said in a previous post, i know nothing about slu's volleyball team.   i was just questioning the financial commitment by slu and asking if it was a problem and typically that translates into recruiting problems.   but apparently you believe the program has all the funds they need they just need a new coach.   great then all we have to do is go hire another junior high coach to compete against all the other a-10 teams that dont care and apparently according to you we will win big in the conference.   seems like it is all laid out.  this should be easy to turn around.

You know nothing about SLU Volleyball but continue to tell me I’m wrong? Astounding! I don’t have a vendetta against Kent Miller. I spent a year with the program and saw what it can be up close and personal. Do you think the Volleyball budget has contracted since Anne left? That doesn’t seem likely. Anne made 2 NCAA’s recruiting to West Pine Gym. Find another slant other than money. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

You know nothing about SLU Volleyball but continue to tell me I’m wrong? Astounding! I don’t have a vendetta against Kent Miller. I spent a year with the program and saw what it can be up close and personal. Do you think the Volleyball budget has contracted since Anne left? That doesn’t seem likely. Anne made 2 NCAA’s recruiting to West Pine Gym. Find another slant other than money. 

Prior to Kordes didn't they have another pretty good coach (forgot her name) that retired? She had a national reputation. I went to one V-ball game (the next day was a November early season MB game) and she was the coach. It was in the West Pine Gym back in the very early 2000s or late 1990s. They played Cincy and as I recall they were good. What I can remember they won. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Prior to Kordes didn't they have another pretty good coach (forgot her name) that retired? She had a national reputation. I went to one V-ball game (the next day was a November early season MB game) and she was the coach. It was in the West Pine Gym back in the very early 2000s or late 1990s. They played Cincy and as I recall they were good. What I can remember they won. 

Marilyn Nolan. Great older coach, they held their own in a tough CUSA(better than A10 obviously) and they were a competitive squad year in and year out 
 

I’m not asking for a top 10 program but for gods sake you have to win this conference every few years it’s that fuoking bad. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

again, i admit i know nothing about the volleyball team.   i only suggest budget issues.   if i am wrong and you are right the coach is the only problem then why hasnt he been fired and replaced?  thanks in advance for your astute help in understanding this issue

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

again, i admit i know nothing about the volleyball team.   i only suggest budget issues.   if i am wrong and you are right the coach is the only problem then why hasnt he been fired and replaced?  thanks in advance for your astute help in understanding this issue

you’re welcome Roy. Also please don’t patronize me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

you’re welcome Roy. Also please don’t patronize me. 

you didnt answer the question.   i assume it is because miller has a contract and the athletic dept/ BoT doesnt want to be stuck with the contract which leads us back to financial issues.   i rest my case.   good bye.  and yes i was patronizing you.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

you didnt answer the question.   i assume it is because miller has a contract and the athletic dept/ BoT doesnt want to be stuck with the contract which leads us back to financial issues.   i rest my case.   good bye.  and yes i was patronizing you.  

So let me get this straight, you actually know nothing about volleyball, Kent Miller or his contract yet you continue to be confident in an assessment based on absolutely nothing but guesses and assumptions? I didn’t attend SLU Law but I’m confident that your case you just rested is fragile at best.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

So let me get this straight, you actually know nothing about volleyball, Kent Miller or his contract yet you continue to be confident in an assessment based on absolutely nothing but guesses and assumptions? I didn’t attend SLU Law but I’m confident that your case you just rested is fragile at best.

so why havent they fired him if it isnt because of the budget concern of paying two salaries?  you have told us most complete and eloquently how inept he is.   there is obviously some reason he is still the coach.   why?  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Roy, your guess was way off base. You admit you know nothing about the subject and you are correct. SLU's is at the top of the budget pecking order in the A-10. What you do know a lot about is SLU's apathy for non revenue sports. So I'm surprised that you question why Miller hasn't been fired?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DOC said:

Roy, your guess was way off base. You admit you know nothing about the subject and you are correct. SLU's is at the top of the budget pecking order in the A-10. What you do know a lot about is SLU's apathy for non revenue sports. So I'm surprised that you question why Miller hasn't been fired?

I appreciate this DOC

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DOC said:

Roy, your guess was way off base. You admit you know nothing about the subject and you are correct. SLU's is at the top of the budget pecking order in the A-10. What you do know a lot about is SLU's apathy for non revenue sports. So I'm surprised that you question why Miller hasn't been fired?

why do you have any credibility?   "doc" to me signals snow white and the seven dwarfs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

and again, if money is not the problem, then why wouldnt the coach already have been fired?  both you and o5 are very inconsistent in logic on this one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The opposing coach for that SLU match makes for an interesting example. How are other schools doing it?

Ryan Theis, Marquette's coach, played at UWM (University Wisconsin-Milwaukee) and then had brief assistant stops at Eastern Illinois, Indiana, Northwestern, Florida, before becoming the Head Coach at Ohio for six years. He then was hired at Marquette. He's done well. They were top 10 last year, lost five players and still have a top 25 team. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

and again, if money is not the problem, then why wouldnt the coach already have been fired?  both you and o5 are very inconsistent in logic on this one.

Apathy or lack of ambition towards anything other than soccer, baseball and basketball from the top the athletic department. another explanation is that he continues to finish 3rd in a 3 team conference behind VCU and Dayton. The overall record tends to look good because he plays even more @ss teams in the non-con. As of that start of this season Kent Miller has the 3rd worst winning % of any volleyball coach at SLU. I can’t tell you his contract situation and I don’t think it factors in to my point, yet you keep harping on it. The point remains that he should be fired after this year or when his contract his up, it really doesn’t matter. He’s had 10 years at SLU and hasn’t won the conference one time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My daughter is a high school Junior and select volleyball player who has the skills to play D1. She has reached her limit though, is backing off and no longer wishes to play competitive volleyball or college volleyball. With that said, DOC is absolutely correct. St. Louis is a huge hotbed for volleyball. A top 25 team could be reached every year with St. Louis girls alone. The better girls go to the Big Ten and SEC and are not interested in playing for SLU in the A10. Last year, though, we lost to SEMO which had landed a very good Libero from St Joseph Academy.  SEMO over SLU?

And 05 is also correct.  Kent Miller must go. What has he done?  Either assistant coach would be an improvement. Major failure by SLU and AD May.  Either Chris May is incompetent or his hands are financially tied.  I go with the latter.

With all that said, no one has answered Roy’s question. Why is Kent Miller still here? Third or fourth place in the A10 is good enough for SLU now? OK, we are in the top tier of volleyball budgets for the A10 - why is Roy wrong about the B of T not wanting to pay two salaries?  Can we not be in the top tier of the A10 and also refuse to pay two salaries?

Other than Dr C and Novelly, is there anyone else at SLU who gives a damn about SLU athletics? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason for why he hasn’t been fired can only be answered by one person, Chris May. If you have his ear maybe he’ll tell you, but to ask 05 why it hasn’t happened is silly. I never said he should be fired, Roy got upset, name called and made that part up. I think SLU is perfectly happy with a mediocre volleyball program and as I said they brought in a couple of asst. Coach’s who are focusing on local talent, and it will pay off. My guess is as long as a coach at SLU is in the top half of the conference and it’s players are good citizens and students the job is safe. The point 05 made and I supported was the Kent Miller has done a poor job. SLU should be a top 40 program every year and their not close.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

My daughter is a high school Junior and select volleyball player who has the skills to play D1. She has reached her limit though, is backing off and no longer wishes to play competitive volleyball or college volleyball. With that said, DOC is absolutely correct. St. Louis is a huge hotbed for volleyball. A top 25 team could be reached every year with St. Louis girls alone. The better girls go to the Big Ten and SEC and are not interested in playing for SLU in the A10. Last year, though, we lost to SEMO which had landed a very good Libero from St Joseph Academy.  SEMO over SLU?

And 05 is also correct.  Kent Miller must go. What has he done?  Either assistant coach would be an improvement. Major failure by SLU and AD May.  Either Chris May is incompetent or his hands are financially tied.  I go with the latter.

With all that said, no one has answered Roy’s question. Why is Kent Miller still here? Third or fourth place in the A10 is good enough for SLU now? OK, we are in the top tier of volleyball budgets for the A10 - why is Roy wrong about the B of T not wanting to pay two salaries?  Can we not be in the top tier of the A10 and also refuse to pay two salaries?

Other than Dr C and Novelly, is there anyone else at SLU who gives a damn about SLU athletics? 

 

IMO Roy didn’t ask the question in good faith. He asked it because he knew I couldn’t answer it and wanted to make me look bad. In my opinion I don’t think he should have been extended whenever that may have been. I don’t care if he’s gets bought out or SLU waits til his contract is up I just want some new blood. It’s been a decade with no NCAA’s. In this league(a bad one bid league) a school like SLU with an AD budget and AD aspirations like SLU at least pretends to have you should be able to win at least 2 conference championships in a decade in the A10.

I’m perfectly fine with year in year out dogfights with VCU and Dayton for 1/2/3 but the Billikens just haven’t been competitive against the those 2 while dominating the rest of the A10. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DOC said:

The reason for why he hasn’t been fired can only be answered by one person, Chris May. If you have his ear maybe he’ll tell you, but to ask 05 why it hasn’t happened is silly. I never said he should be fired, Roy got upset, name called and made that part up. I think SLU is perfectly happy with a mediocre volleyball program and as I said they brought in a couple of asst. Coach’s who are focusing on local talent, and it will pay off. My guess is as long as a coach at SLU is in the top half of the conference and it’s players are good citizens and students the job is safe. The point 05 made and I supported was the Kent Miller has done a poor job. SLU should be a top 40 program every year and their not close.  

Thats all i asked.   If you and 05 want to put it all on Chris May not caring, thats the answer.   My opinion. Based on a lot of over conservative athletic department financial budgeting and decision making is that is the problem.   Just dont understand why o5 wouldn't answer the question.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...