Official SLU News: VB PREVIEW: Billikens Travel to Milwaukee for Two

I agree. New blood is needed.  Somehow SLU hired Nolan and she made us a Top 10 program. She fell in our lap like Majerus did. Once in a lifetime. She was a HOF coach at the end of her career.   
Kordes made us us Top 25 and relevant and should be the model. With all the local talent, and hot spots in Kansas City and Indianapolis, we should be hiring young energetic coaches like Kordes and be a successful stepping stone for the same budget. AD May retaining him was a mistake. Then again, AD May has made alot of mistake and no repercussions. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not know much about volleyball until I started my current teaching job and saw how volleyball fever swept the small school. The high school I'm at is blessed with a tremendous HS coach, and the kids all play club in STL. There's a ton of talent in the small schools (not to mention the established powers) in our area, so it seems that a high-level recruiter in VB could do much the same thing as TFord did cleaning up the mess left by he who shalt not be named.

22 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Thats all i asked.   If you and 05 want to put it all on Chris May not caring, thats the answer.   My opinion. Based on a lot of over conservative athletic department financial budgeting and decision making is that is the problem.   Just dont understand why o5 wouldn't answer the question.

Roy, stop it. You know I don’t have an answer as to why he hasn’t been let go. Here’s the long and the short of it:

Chris May is at fault for hiring him

Chris May is at fault for extending him

Its Chris May’s fault if he does not let him go at the end of this contract.

It’s not Chris May’s fault SLU can’t or won’t afford to be able to fire Miller before his contract is up. 

Wether or not SLU/Chris May can afford to pay a coach more is not an issue. SLU/Chris May can find someone younger, better, hungrier and more charismatic than Kent Fuoking Miller at the same pay rate. That I’m sure of. 

BilliesBy40 likes this

SLU made a great hire and retention for baseball and recently for soccer with Kalisch. Before that Donegan and McGinty were both bad and should have been let go.  Neither were fired and both were extended.  Why??   Whose decision other than AD May is it to extend head coaches like them and Kent Miller?  What coach has AD May and SLU bought out?  SLU didn’t care about soccer anymore either?  Or SLU lacked the money and balls to rectify its mistakes? Thank God for soccer that Kalisch is the real deal. 
And if not for Dr C writing another check to Jim Crews, would the B of T stepped in and bought Crews out for the good of the basketball program?  
I say hell no. Even Crews would have finished his contract. 

7 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Roy, stop it. You know I don’t have an answer as to why he hasn’t been let go. Here’s the long and the short of it:

It’s not Chris May’s fault SLU can’t or won’t afford to be able to fire Miller before his contract is up. 

Wether or not SLU/Chris May can afford to pay a coach more is not an issue. SLU/Chris May can find someone younger, better, hungrier and more charismatic than Kent Fuoking Miller at the same pay rate. That I’m sure of. 

AD May makes mistakes like other Athletic directors. In fact, his track record of making mistakes may be greater than other athletic directors but he also lacks the funds to fix his mistakes. Making a bad hire is understandable. Making a bad extension is not. I would clean house and look for a new AD

billikenfan05 likes this

5 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

AD May makes mistakes like other Athletic directors. In fact, his track record of making mistakes may be greater than other athletic directors but he also lacks the funds to fix his mistakes. Making a bad hire is understandable. Making a bad extension is not. I would clean house and look for a new AD

May has been a fairly good AD and has put SLU as a whole in a better position than he found it IMO. Not a whole lot better but better. He’s been here awhile and I while I don’t think he should be fired at all I do think new blood at the top of the department would be a good thing. 

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

May has been a fairly good AD and has put SLU as a whole in a better position than he found it IMO. Not a whole lot better but better. He’s been here awhile and I while I don’t think he should be fired at all I do think new blood at the top of the department would be a good thing. 

After watching Donigan, what did Chris may see to make him want to extend his contract?  
Same question with McGinty and Kent Miller. I get hires which don’t turn out well but extensions after they work for you for years?  
Within 6 months, everyone saw what Bob Warming, Kordes, Majerus, Ford, Hendrickson, Kalisch did and was doing.    
And yes, no one knew Jim Crews better than AD May and I would have fired him for that hire alone. 

6 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

After watching Donigan, what did Chris may see to make him want to extend his contract?  
Same question with McGinty and Kent Miller. I get hires which don’t turn out well but extensions after they work for you for years?  
Within 6 months, everyone saw what Bob Warming, Kordes, Majerus, Ford, Hendrickson, Kalisch did and was doing.    
And yes, no one knew Jim Crews better than AD May and I would have fired him for that hire alone. 

Clock, I totally agree with you in that the crews hire was fire worthy. But in some respect I’m a little more forgiving with Jim Crews being named head coach. He would have been roasted by the media for sending Crews packing after his interim season, the media would have been wrong.

McGinty had some really good years and a couple NCAA apps, but I think he was probably held on to too long. McGinty shouldn’t be put anywhere near Miller IMO 

Postscript: Love McGinty, a great guy.

55 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Clock, I totally agree with you in that the crews hire was fire worthy. But in some respect I’m a little more forgiving with Jim Crews being named head coach. He would have been roasted by the media for sending Crews packing after his interim season, the media would have been wrong.

McGinty had some really good years and a couple NCAA apps, but I think he was probably held on to too long. McGinty shouldn’t be put anywhere near Miller IMO 

Postscript: Love McGinty, a great guy.

Good leaders lead and bad leaders get led or don’t lead at all. Often times they do nothing. That was the case with Chris May and Jim Crews. Waiting until Jim Crews won the national coach of the year was too late.  From the beginning, Chris may should have controlled the narrative, said he would not be hiring any of our assistant coaches, said our new coach would a younger coach.... None of our assistants were up to the job. AD May knew what he had: an out of touch fossil - who I would have taken in the 1980’s - but not following RM in 2010’s. The game passed him by. You don’t think the players liked him and related to him as an assistant coach and that things suddenly changed once he became the head coach do you?  And you know how he (and Jim Platt) were run out of Westpoint bc of his personality and how he treated even the most accepting of his old school discipline, right?  What indication did he show while on Frost campus that he was up for our head coaching job?  Hints could have been dropped the whole year.  A coach could have been indirectly and secretly contacted and all but hired behind the scenes.  

Roy you know I’m not the one coming off poorly here, right? 

how?   you came on here ranting about how terrible this miller guy is, i ask, "well why dont we fire him then?  is it money where we dont want two head coaching salaries out there?"  

you then take 3 days to not answer and finally today you do blame both may and the BoT.   i.e. you never answered.   if you are going to have a giant rant like you did, why not put it out there who is to blame?   

you are something.   what i dont know, but boy was slu ever lucky to get you hooked up as a fan.  

6 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

how?   you came on here ranting about how terrible this miller guy is, i ask, "well why dont we fire him then?  is it money where we dont want two head coaching salaries out there?"  

you then take 3 days to not answer and finally today you do blame both may and the BoT.   i.e. you never answered.   if you are going to have a giant rant like you did, why not put it out there who is to blame?   

you are something.   what i dont know, but boy was slu ever lucky to get you hooked up as a fan.  

You are coming off beautifully Roy, keep going.

9 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Good leaders lead and bad leaders get led or don’t lead at all. Often times they do nothing. That was the case with Chris May and Jim Crews. Waiting until Jim Crews won the national coach of the year was too late.  From the beginning, Chris may should have controlled the narrative, said he would not be hiring any of our assistant coaches, said our new coach would a younger coach.... None of our assistants were up to the job. AD May knew what he had: an out of touch fossil - who I would have taken in the 1980’s - but not following RM in 2010’s. The game passed him by. You don’t think the players liked him and related to him as an assistant coach and that things suddenly changed once he became the head coach do you?  And you know how he (and Jim Platt) were run out of Westpoint bc of his personality and how he treated even the most accepting of his old school discipline, right?  What indication did he show while on Frost campus that he was up for our head coaching job?  Hints could have been dropped the whole year.  A coach could have been indirectly and secretly contacted and all but hired behind the scenes.  

Well said, you are 100% correct in my mind.

20 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

You are coming off beautifully Roy, keep going.

I'll just wait till you actually answer the question.   I'm not holding my breath.

Did not intend for another Jim Crews discussion. Instead, I am curious to hear from the rest of you who truly do follow 1 or more of our non- revenue sports as to how long we stick with same coaches.  Paying the bills, keeping the lights on, offering scholarships, good GPAs and not bringing negative attention to the University are noble goals ... but shouldn’t SLU try to win as well??

2 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

You are a very good Monday morning quarterback. If you were saying all this back then I would like to see it. My memory was what’s taking May so long to name Crews.