The Seniors need help

CBFan

Looking over the stats and how the team has looked post COVID pause the seniors need their other team members to step up and score.

Last nights stats showed that the seniors did their part.  The seniors shot 19-42 .452 field goals and scored 53 of the 65 points.  The rest of the team shot 3-15 .200 field goals and scored 12 points.

It seems to me that opposing teams game plan to defend the 3 seniors and take their chances with the rest of the team which might explain the blow out in Dayton.

If the rest of the team shoots 33 percent I am not complaining about the officiating last night.

I thought after the LaSalle game that Fred Thatch had finally turned the corner, nope.  Fred has to hit at least one of those free throws last night.  Fred has to finish close shots.

When was the last time Jacobs hit a 3 point shot?  Jacobs also is rushing and missing layups, jam that ball in.

Yuri must try to score like he did against NC State to keep the defense honest.  Yuri must never have a 4 turnover game unless he has 8 or more assists.

When was the last time Jimerson hit 40 percent from the 3?

Since Hargrove only got a minute last night I have no complaints from last night but I would like to see more from him.

Linssen has done his part and I have no complaints.

Jimmy Bell has to do more when called on so he can get more minutes.

I hope our coach with the 3 available scholarships is looking for an experienced transfer or 2 to help out next season.

28 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Looking over the stats and how the team has looked post COVID pause the seniors need their other team members to step up and score.

Last nights stats showed that the seniors did their part.  The seniors shot 19-42 .452 field goals and scored 53 of the 65 points.  The rest of the team shot 3-15 .200 field goals and scored 12 points.

It seems to me that opposing teams game plan to defend the 3 seniors and take their chances with the rest of the team which might explain the blow out in Dayton.

If the rest of the team shoots 33 percent I am not complaining about the officiating last night.

I thought after the LaSalle game that Fred Thatch had finally turned the corner, nope.  Fred has to hit at least one of those free throws last night.  Fred has to finish close shots.

When was the last time Jacobs hit a 3 point shot?  Jacobs also is rushing and missing layups, jam that ball in.

Yuri must try to score like he did against NC State to keep the defense honest.  Yuri must never have a 4 turnover game unless he has 8 or more assists.

When was the last time Jimerson hit 40 percent from the 3?

Since Hargrove only got a minute last night I have no complaints from last night but I would like to see more from him.

Linssen has done his part and I have no complaints.

Jimmy Bell has to do more when called on so he can get more minutes.

I hope our coach with the 3 available scholarships is looking for an experienced transfer or 2 to help out next season.

-he launched a 3 and had a t/o under the basket while looking like a deer on ice

Just going off my observation of last night's game..it seems like the role players come in to perform one job and if they don't do it,  they get pulled.  I think at certain points of the game they should have ramped up the pressure.  VCU struggled with it against GM.  VCU was able to win last night with a freshman pg playing 40 minutes...another freshman playing 29 mins going 2-12 and another seldom used freshman playing 19mins.  Even Medley-Bacon got 6 mins.  VCU's defense and style of play allowed them to come in and contribute.  When I found out Hyland and Curry were out I thought SLU would win easily.  

billiken_roy likes this

2 hours ago, Coach314 said:

Just going off my observation of last night's game..it seems like the role players come in to perform one job and if they don't do it,  they get pulled.  I think at certain points of the game they should have ramped up the pressure.  VCU struggled with it against GM.  VCU was able to win last night with a freshman pg playing 40 minutes...another freshman playing 29 mins going 2-12 and another seldom used freshman playing 19mins.  Even Medley-Bacon got 6 mins.  VCU's defense and style of play allowed them to come in and contribute.  When I found out Hyland and Curry were out I thought SLU would win easily.  

You mean - COULD have ramped up pressure.  Maybe. Or maybe not if conditioning was still a problem, if Yuri’s ankle was not up to it, and if foul problems did not exist.  I believe all 3 were an issue last night. 

Jimerson will never be great off the dribble but he has shown that he's capable of taking a couple of dribbles to get by a defender.  We can't make a run with one of our best offensive players averaging 5 ppg, as he has over the last three.  We were all glad to get Fred back but let's be honest: the addition of Jimerson's offense is why we thought we were destined to be a top 25 team this year.

I understand that he's not getting the same quality of open looks since Yuri's not an effective penetrator right now, but Jimerson is capable of being more than Drew Diener.  If he's challenged too closely on the closeout, go by the guy.

slufanskip and CBFan like this

12 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Jimerson will never be great off the dribble but he has shown that he's capable of taking a couple of dribbles to get by a defender.  We can't make a run with one of our best offensive players averaging 5 ppg, as he has over the last three.  We were all glad to get Fred back but let's be honest: the addition of Jimerson's offense is why we thought we were destined to be a top 25 team this year.

I understand that he's not getting the same quality of open looks since Yuri's not an effective penetrator right now, but Jimerson is capable of being more than Drew Diener.  If he's challenged too closely on the closeout, go by the guy.

Also, our other guys need to get the ball to him.  It is especially noticeable when your are at the game and not watching on TV, but Jimerson is open a lot out at the three point line and waiting for the ball and our other guys, for whatever reason, don't get it to him.

slufan13 and willie like this

11 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Also, our other guys need to get the ball to him.  It is especially noticeable when your are at the game and not watching on TV, but Jimerson is open a lot out at the three point line and waiting for the ball and our other guys, for whatever reason, don't get it to him.

When a guy drives into the lane and defense collapses around him he has to be aware as he makes that move where Jimerson is.  A healthy Yuri excels at that, everybody else not so much.  Most people that drive are doing so with an intent to score.

If Jimerson either takes the shots that are available to him or drives on the closeout he will get eight to nine shots a game.  That's enough for him to get his 10 points a game regardless of what other guys are doing.  And it's totally within his skillset.

cgeldmacher likes this

4 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

When a guy drives into the lane and defense collapses around him he has to be aware as he makes that move where Jimerson is.  A healthy Yuri excels at that, everybody else not so much.  Most people that drive are doing so with an intent to score.

I've noticed Fred actually drives and dishes it out quite a bit, but the only issue is his passes are normally pretty bad so no shot can comes from it. 

Also iirc GJ was a strong finisher around the hoop and could drive when we recruited him.  Maybe he's asked to stay out of the paint? Not sure why.

I also feel like early in the season Jimerson used a pump-fake and side dribble leading to a made 3 pretty often. I'd like to at least see that if he isn't going to drive to the bucket. Instead I feel like he is taking a lot of contested 3's. We need to get him the ball more when he is open but he also passes up too many shots lately. He is slumping but I will still take 10 shots a game from him and take my chances that it leads to more 10+ points

26 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I've noticed Fred actually drives and dishes it out quite a bit, but the only issue is his passes are normally pretty bad so no shot can comes from it. 

Also iirc GJ was a strong finisher around the hoop and could drive when we recruited him.  Maybe he's asked to stay out of the paint? Not sure why.

This is one of the little things that Yuri does well. More often than not his pass hits the target in exactly the right place. For a catch and shoot guy it's frequently the difference between getting the shot or not getting the shot. 

2 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

This is one of the little things that Yuri does well. More often than not his pass hits the target in exactly the right place. For a catch and shoot guy it's frequently the difference between getting the shot or not getting the shot. 

i dont disagree, but skip there is an art of putting oneself in position to catch the ball ready as well.   it isnt all on the passer.   my view of jimmmerson is he doesnt do well getting himself in position to catch the ball imo.   

2 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I wish there was a stat out there that kept track of quality passes before and after covid.  Gotta be some correlation in there. 

4 minutes ago, NH said:

Gibson is getting pretty good shots in recent games. He’s 3 for his last 17 and shooting 34% from 3 in conference play. More than anything we just need him to make shots at his normal level.

Hes had more than a few in and outs as well.  Hes really only had 1 bad miss. 

57 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i dont disagree, but skip there is an art of putting oneself in position to catch the ball ready as well.   it isnt all on the passer.   my view of jimmmerson is he doesnt do well getting himself in position to catch the ball imo.   

I couldn’t disagree more. The main problem Jimerson has is a lot of his shots are rushed because he’s facing pressure. Often times he doesn’t even rise up on these shots.

willie likes this

by40 he's rushed because he has to take a half a second to get the ball in the right position to get the shot off.   he coulda moved to catch the ball in the right position in the first place.  watch tonight.

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

by40 he's rushed because he has to take a half a second to get the ball in the right position to get the shot off.   he coulda moved to catch the ball in the right position in the first place.  watch tonight.

I also disagree especially when he is set up in the corner. He is totally ready to shoot. 

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Roy I'm with Biliesby40 on this one. I think Jimerson is the most ready to shoot player we've had in a long time

Just now, willie said:

I also disagree especially when he is set up in the corner. He is totally ready to shoot. 

willie watch his hands and feet when he catches the ball.   if they dont move and it is an immediate shot, i agree with you.   that hasnt been the case.  

1 minute ago, slufan13 said:

Roy I'm with Biliesby40 on this one. I think Jimerson is the most ready to shoot player we've had in a long time

13, you should go ask rueter what i am talking about.   he is the biggest proponent of catching a pass completely ready i have ever heard.   you guys are not seeing the right thing i am telling you he has to adjust when he catches it and then releases.   he does it pretty quick, but it isnt without flaw.   

yes he is better than jacobs or goodwin at it, but that isnt perfect. and for a guy that will make his living shooting he needs to be perfect.   go watch jj reddick.   or go back in billiken time and watch claggett.   

I mentioned in another thread about point guards the name Larry Hughes. We all know Larry Hughes was not a point guard for the Billikens; however, I included him because when the game was on the line or when a point was needed at a crucial time of any game, and often even at a non-crucial time, Larry had the ball out top and in my opinion was the point guard. He was not looking to be a playmaker and was not a pass first guy but instead to shoot, drive and do whatever it took to score. If this included a pass to an open big or teammate -  he did it. 
Against VCU, French and Linssen had already fouled out and the ball was NOT in Yuri’s hands. The Seniors - JGood and Perkins - had the ball. Our best 2 players but they are not Michael Jordan and Reggie Miller. Often this is the case - the offense not being run.  I am sure the non-Seniors can and would get them the ball - but I see too much 1 against 5 and not enough running of the offense. And I will withhold judgment on why the offense is not being run even with Yuri in the game. If, as some indicate, it is solely because Yuri is injured (as he was last year and this year) as opposed to Covid, or game planning by the other side, or the need to be less predictable, then even more and so the need to bring in another quality PG next year. 

Just now, billiken_roy said:

13, you should go ask rueter what i am talking about.   he is the biggest proponent of catching a pass completely ready i have ever heard.   you guys are not seeing the right thing i am telling you he has to adjust when he catches it and then releases.   he does it pretty quick, but it isnt without flaw.   

yes he is better than jacobs or goodwin at it, but that isnt perfect. and for a guy that will make his living shooting he needs to be perfect.   go watch jj reddick.   or go back in billiken time and watch claggett.   

We’re seeing different things. At least once per game he catches the ball needing to shoot almost immediately and does so, often from the exact position he catches the ball. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen someone as able to do so, but I also think this had created a bad habit for him of rushing sometimes when he doesn’t need to.

brianstl likes this

17 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

We’re seeing different things. At least once per game he catches the ball needing to shoot almost immediately and does so, often from the exact position he catches the ball. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen someone as able to do so, but I also think this had created a bad habit for him of rushing sometimes when he doesn’t need to.

of course he has possessions where he receives the ball in position   particularly as some on here have pointed out when yuri is in the game.   i am not saying it happens every time the ball comes to him.   but you can almost bet on a miss he had to adjust and if he waits to do that until after he catches the pass he likely isnt going to make it.  

28 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I agree with B'roy on this. He's not catching the pass at the right time or in the right position. I don't think he's been pressured on a lot of his misses. Rather, I don't think he's getting the ball in the right flow and that affects his rhythm. In fact I've seen him catch it flat footed wide open and miss. The best example I can give of a shooter catching the ball on the move that gets him in rhythm is the 3 point shooting contests. The guy is moving to a new position and catches the ball in motion and releases. It's a lot different than just standing there motionless and tossing up a shot. 

billiken_roy likes this