Between Covid and Consternation and a Cavalcade of Horrific Consequences..............

This is not the Billiken team of the century or probably even the decade.......Were our expectations too high or has the Travis Ford "do less with more" curse continued.................

I'm ready to entertain the question for the first time ever............................................................

The latter. It was always the latter. To blame COVID is a cop out. Even in their NCAA year they had games like this and had to win 4 games in four days to get there. Yeah, recruiting wasn't their bread and butter but Majerus and Spoonhour are still talked about in this town because they accomplished more with less. To quote The Who, I won't get fooled again.

3 minutes ago, Bonner89 said:

The latter. It was always the latter. To blame COVID is a cop out. Even in their NCAA year they had games like this and had to win 4 games in four days to get there. Yeah, recruiting wasn't their bread and butter but Majerus and Spoonhour are still talked about in this town because they accomplished more with less. To quote The Who, I won't get fooled again.

You are the biggest loser.........but I can only hope you are wrong troll...................................

majerus mojo likes this

2 minutes ago, Bonner89 said:

Some of you never played competitive sports and it shows. Unfortunately there are things called bad games and even great players go through slumps. Things aren't always sunshine, rainbows, and undefeated seasons. But keep trolling I'm sure you don't have anything better to do.

2 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Some of you never played competitive sports and it shows. Unfortunately there are things called bad games and even great players go through slumps. Things aren't always sunshine, rainbows, and undefeated seasons. But keep trolling I'm sure you don't have anything better to do.

Not calling you out but do you have any confidence in the Billikens in ANY games going forward?  I don't know that I do...........

7 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

I’ve always found it interesting how in soccer everyone (coaches, fans, media, etc.) openly talks about whether or not a player is “in form”. You don’t hear the same level of open dialogue in other sports.

5 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Not calling you out but do you have any confidence in the Billikens in ANY games going forward?  I don't know that I do...........

I am actually very confident for the next two games. 

I’ll have to look at who we have in the tournament after those two.

My thoughts on them right now:

I still believe this team is hurting from Covid. They just don’t have that extra step anymore and won’t the rest of the year. Lingering effects are hurting certain players more than we will ever realize.

I also believe that I overrated this team pre-Covid. I bought into the hype but they weren’t as good as I thought. They have a lot of flaws that heart and determination covered. They are having a tough time finding that right now.

Finally, I still believe they can beat anybody in the A10 at Chaifetz. 

3 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

I don't know. But I do know the guys are going to go out there and play their hearts out and do everything in their power to get us the W and for that reason I will stand behind all of them win, lose, or draw.  Us mbms sit here and critique them when they turn the ball over or have a down game with only a sliver of an idea of what it's like to play at that level. Thinking 'oh why didn't coach just do this' or 'why didn't xyz just kick it out to the open shooter' when you know Ford and these kids want nothing more than to win.  I'll be the first to admit that Ive said dumb things in the spur of the moment in GDTs when things aren't going right but when everything settles down I'm not going to slam players or the coach and tell them to bench so and so cause he's had a tough few games. And if we do lose the next 2 games and God forbid get blown out at Has and Goodwins senior night you can bet your a$$ I'm gonna still go crazy when their names are called and give them the props they deserve for everything they have done for this program and our favorite team. 

Not putting you on blast just had enough of some so called fan's sh!t. Who knows if they are fans or trolls it's hard to tell. Ride or die Teamblue fuock all the haters. 

In a 31 game season you can afford a slump and still get an at-large.  We had one last year and turned it around late.  In an 18 game season, one slump and you're done.  It's win the A-10 tournament or bust. 

Hate that it comes down to that for Goodwin and French.  They've been through so much, from Situation 2 to last year's cancellation of the Dance, to French losing one of the most important people in his life shortly before the season.  Life isn't fair.

billikenbill and Littlebill like this

7 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Some of you have not had Covid, and it shows. (This isn't in direct response to you @RiseOfTheBillikens, but simply made me think of this

I came down with it in December as a 29 year-old healthy man. I had a relatively minor case (flu-like symptoms for about 4 days), but after I got out of isolation, I was winded doing normal things for weeks. I live in a third floor walk up and would be breathing hard just coming home. Now, obviously these players were in far better shape than I was prior to their diseases, but they also need to remain in much better shape to be competitive. In high-level basketball, even being a half-step slow makes a big difference.

1 hour ago, Deutschkind said:

Some of you have not had Covid, and it shows. (This isn't in direct response to you @RiseOfTheBillikens, but simply made me think of this

I came down with it in December as a 29 year-old healthy man. I had a relatively minor case (flu-like symptoms for about 4 days), but after I got out of isolation, I was winded doing normal things for weeks. I live in a third floor walk up and would be breathing hard just coming home. Now, obviously these players were in far better shape than I was prior to their diseases, but they also need to remain in much better shape to be competitive. In high-level basketball, even being a half-step slow makes a big difference.

Appreciate your insight. Good post. 

9 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

In a 31 game season you can afford a slump and still get an at-large.  We had one last year and turned it around late.  In an 18 game season, one slump and you're done.  It's win the A-10 tournament or bust. 

Hate that it comes down to that for Goodwin and French.  They've been through so much, from Situation 2 to last year's cancellation of the Dance, to French losing one of the most important people in his life shortly before the season.  Life isn't fair.

Very True. I think we have the best chance to win the A10 Tournament 

6 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Very True. I think we have the best chance to win the A10 Tournament 

The biggest issue with the A10 Tourney is the A10 changing the venues. Huge advantages were granted to VCU and Richmond. A big advantage goes to Dayton if the Flyers make the Championship, which though still doubtful, isn’t as beyond the realm of possibility as it earlier would have been. 

I’m not pleased with either change of venue, especially moving the A10 Tourney to Richmond, giving that home court advantage to 2 former Colonial Athletic Association teams, one of whom (VCU) which has been in the A10 less time than SLU. 

I know the reasons. They’re not enough for the move. 

Clock_Tower likes this

3 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Stop being idiots. Everyone on this boards needs to just admit that the A10 is better than they thought it was. We have been caught up comparing ourselves to Dayton last year, and truthfully, they wouldn’t go undefeated this year.

It's tough to win at Dayton and at VCU for sure and hopefully the re-emergence of Has is a turning point for us.  I'm sorry but the A10 is not exactly a murderer's row or gauntlet of tournament teams this year.  How bad would we have gotten blown out by Dayton if they had last year's lineup?  

2 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

It's tough to win at Dayton and at VCU for sure and hopefully the re-emergence of Has is a turning point for us.  I'm sorry but the A10 is not exactly a murderer's row or gauntlet of tournament teams this year.  How bad would we have gotten blown out by Dayton if they had last year's lineup?  

The Billikens from a talent stand point alone can and should win the A10 tournament.

11 hours ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Take away the 2 games after we returned from COVID and we are 11-3 with no losses outside Q1 and Q2. Not great but still tournament worthy. Those two Q3 losses killed us by giving us no room for error

I'm sorry.  Why would you take away the first Dayton game?  It was our post covid debut but it's not like we played them any better more recently. 

brianstl likes this

Just now, Billiken Rich said:

I'm sorry.  Why would you take away the first Dayton game?  It was our post covid debut but it's not like we played them any better more recently. 

And if we won either of our last two games there was a good chance the committee would have just discounted those two losses as nothing more than a COVID return hangover.  The reason why we are on the outside looking in for the tournament is the last two games and not what happened in our first two games back from the pause.

3 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Stop being idiots. Everyone on this boards needs to just admit that the A10 is better than they thought it was. We have been caught up comparing ourselves to Dayton last year, and truthfully, they wouldn’t go undefeated this year.

This conference is not that good. That said, I think the early play and the expectations built over having talent coming back led to heightened expectations...and the team fell on its face. 

Here’s what’s hard to figure. Last year we gave #3 ranked UD two of their toughest games. And then we blew out VCU by 20 or so. Now with supposedly the same team plus 2 key players back from injuries, we lose to both of them. First UD loss is understandable, 2nd loss is unexplainable given we got blasted. VCU, minus their all conference star, and we lose to them. We are supposed to be much better and deeper than last year, so why are we crumbling like a stale cookie? Something’s missing. I wish I knew what it is. 

14 hours ago, dlarry said:

I am actually very confident for the next two games. 

Wouldn't say I'm very confident, Id say we have a decent chance. 

What I am very confident in is the ability to make a run in the A10 tournament.  But first, Ford needs to do something that sparks the team. 

dlarry likes this