mrjoelabs

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, wgstl said:

So why is he playing? 

If it’s bc of PG play(at the time jgood could have slid in), Russell could have played. Other options were available, which leads me to believe he’s fine, but in a slump. Also if he was injured, I dont think he’d be so involved in fast breaks. 

I think he is playing because that’s what guys do at that level, try to play through injuries.
He’s also playing out of necessity. Collins still isn’t 100% and I don’t think Russell is anywhere close to being ready for VCU pressure. I get nervous every time he sees even token pressure.

Someone who can handle the ball needs to steal some minutes and he’s really the only option.

You might be right. He might be perfectly fine and just slumping. I don’t have any proof.

Im just going by what Ford said about guys being banged up, his minutes decreasing, and his play falling off.

Being hurt makes sense to me.

I agree that we should not have been in that situation.

You can’t let a team beat you when their best player is out.

You can’t have that many TO’s in the first 10 minutes of a game.

They need to play better.

I thought the Collins call was bad. Especially being called so late. When it looks like the official waits to see if it goes in to make the call....it just not good optics.

My biggest problem was the French call.

If French is still in the game does Baldwin even attempt that drive? 
If he still drives does French alter it enough to make him miss? 

9 hours ago, wgstl said:

I guess just consider me that guy, but too many plays happen in a game as to why I dont hassle refs.  Im not happy with the refs tonight, but our poor play is why we have 4 losses since coming back from play.  

It’s the integrity of the game that gets me upset either way with bad calls and it never improves so you would think for the benefit of my blood pressure I would not let the bad calls bother me.

The underclass men are not helping out the seniors at all.  When you check out the box score it really sticks out.  When the seniors struggle no underclass man shows up to fill the void.  I understand more than ever why the seniors panic and try to do too much.

9 hours ago, dlarry said:

I thought the Collins call was bad. Especially being called so late. When it looks like the official waits to see if it goes in to make the call....it just not good optics.

My biggest problem was the French call.

1. Re the Yuri Collins call, a former ref once explained to me that does happen, namely the ref waits to see if the shot goes in the hoop before calling the foul if the shot misses. However, a higher level ref, who reffed the Pac-12 and WCC denied this happens. I more believe the former. Last night with Ted Valentine’s delayed call was obvious. It appeared Valentine waited before blowing the whistle, as SLU was beginning what could have been a game winning fast break. 

1b. While the foul call on Yuri Collins was highly questionable, also bad was not putting 3 seconds back on the clock. 

2.  The foul out call on Hasahn French was a pure phantom. At best the ref saw something that didn’t happen. Earlier the call on French on the 3 point shot didn’t need to be made. Any contact was well after the shot. 

The taller grey-white haired ref was Brian O’Connell, who refs a lot of Big East games. We had 2 high level refs in O’Connell and Valentine. We might well have been better served with the usual A10 zebras, which is not an endorsement. 

8 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

Finally dive into the post-game GDT and it’s 50@wgstl posts that he knew we stunk the whole time. I think I will check back tomorrow. 

p.s. the refs were indeed atrocious 

Since covid, yes.  

12 hours ago, willie said:

I am with Billiken Roy on one thing. We need to play faster. We made our best runs pushing the ball. In other words our half court offense sucks. Speed up the game.

worst is our defense.   it should be our backbone.   we have the most athletic roster that slu has had in my lifetime, yet our arguably three best athletes, hargrove, strickland and thatch played a total of 14 minutes last night?

why not ditch the short rotation and rotate all the athletes in with our starters and push the tempo on defense big time.   as Wiz said in his recap, the turnover differential was the difference.   no way vcu should have been twice as less as us.  they are not better at the guard positions.   but we did not challenge them and once again they got all the scoring opportunites they wanted.    

2 more steals/turnovers resulting in layups and we win the game.  it would be different if we had 5 starters that could be confused with jj reddick and lew alcindor.  it's past time to  free hargrove, stickland and thatch.  

12 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

The three seniors stepped up and did what they were supposed to do.  That's a good sign.  It's your show, gentlemen.  Props to Has for showing doubters that he's still Hasahn M'Fin French.

i think french read this board since dayton.  last night we saw last season's french again.   welcome back has!  

11 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

Back to the recruiting board............Travis will be a Bllliken as long as faith is given

while i still think ford is a mediocre at best game coach and development coach, he is the best billiken recruiter head coach we have ever had.   his bringing in that level of quality talent will always put us in the discussion for the tourney.   how many years in the last 50 years have we known from day one of the season it was another "wait till next year".   

losing ford means we start over again.   and our track record of finding a rickma or even a ford isnt good.   i'll stay with ford and hope his recruiting continues at this high level and hope he learns and changes his tactics or the players overachieve and win and get us in the second weekend discussion on a regular basis.  

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

while i still think ford is a mediocre at best game coach and development coach, he is the best billiken recruiter head coach we have ever had.   his bringing in that level of quality talent will always put us in the discussion for the tourney.   how many years in the last 50 years have we known from day one of the season it was another "wait till next year".   

losing ford means we start over again.   and our track record of finding a rickma or even a ford isnt good.   i'll stay with ford and hope his recruiting continues at this high level and hope he learns and changes his tactics or the players overachieve and win and get us in the second weekend discussion on a regular basis.  

We saw how well the coaching change after Majerus went. 

The "talent" level is higher than it has been...which is what makes this season so disappointing. 

12 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

worst is our defense.   it should be our backbone.   we have the most athletic roster that slu has had in my lifetime, yet our arguably three best athletes, hargrove, strickland and thatch played a total of 14 minutes last night?

why not ditch the short rotation and rotate all the athletes in with our starters and push the tempo on defense big time.   as Wiz said in his recap, the turnover differential was the difference.   no way vcu should have been twice as less as us.  they are not better at the guard positions.   but we did not challenge them and once again they got all the scoring opportunites they wanted.    

2 more steals/turnovers resulting in layups and we win the game.  it would be different if we had 5 starters that could be confused with jj reddick and lew alcindor.  it's past time to  free hargrove, stickland and thatch.  

I am certainly agreeing that our defense mojo is gone.  As Ford stated last night, "We can't guard a soul."  It was the same in the Dayton game. 

At this point I'm not sure if playing more players is better than shortening the bench.  Past Ford teams have been primarily 8 deep.  Now Ford is attempting to play 10. The results in conference play haven't been there with any consistency to say, yes this is what we need to do.  One game the bench scores 28 points, and then follows up with 5.  Ford has not shown the inclination to press 94 feet for 40 minutes, so I wouldn't expect that change to happen now.  It's getting pretty late to make some drastic changes.

25 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I am certainly agreeing that our defense mojo is gone.  As Ford stated last night, "We can't guard a soul."  It was the same in the Dayton game. 

At this point I'm not sure if playing more players is better than shortening the bench.  Past Ford teams have been primarily 8 deep.  Now Ford is attempting to play 10. The results in conference play haven't been there with any consistency to say, yes this is what we need to do.  One game the bench scores 28 points, and then follows up with 5.  Ford has not shown the inclination to press 94 feet for 40 minutes, so I wouldn't expect that change to happen now.  It's getting pretty late to make some drastic changes.

we played our starters all 23+ minutes each with the seniors getting 27+ minutes and yuri getting 31.   only thatch and jacobs got double digit minutes beyond the starters.   he is not playing 10 guys.   you can make an argument he is playing 5 with a couple of cameo's

way too much athletes to be bench affixed imo.   and if the argument is athlete's dont necessarily = basketball players, thatch has been around 3 years now, hargrove 2 years, ok i get strickland maybe earning is time so there has been plenty of time to teach them to be basketball players.  (note, i dont agree they arent basketball savvy enough.   just countering the suspected comeback in advance) 

someone mentioned hargrove looked like deer in the headlights last night.  well considering the quick hook he gets, what does one think hargrove's confidence level is at these days?   he's likely terrified of getting yanked.   honestly as good of athletes as hargrove, stickland, jacobs, thatch, even bell's physicality.   wont surprise me if there are defections coming.   i hope i am wrong.  i love this roster.    

-JGood, JPerk, and Jacobs all fouled because they didn't cut off the baseline, and those are the plays I remember, could have been more, I'm betting Skip teaches that to his 4th grade girls

-we got called for more fouls than VCU, I doubt that happens often in their games

The last call on Collins was awful for its lateness and the phantom 5th on French was equally bad, but the worst call of the game was the charge on French where the guy was standing in the middle of the circle.  There's 2 points we didn't get back.  Add on French's ridiculous foul on the 3 where the guy then made all 3 FTs.  Stupid on French for getting that close, but also a total acting job by the shooter.  

Refs were about as bad as they come last night and they were definitely a factor in this one.

33 minutes ago, SShoe said:

but the worst call of the game was the charge on French where the guy was standing in the middle of the circle.

I was watching a game over the weekend with a friend where there was almost the exact same play with the same result. We were both surprised by the call since the defender was entirely within the circle, but the announcers credited the defender. If it is on a catch and turn does the circle not matter?

7 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I was watching a game over the weekend with a friend where there was almost the exact same play with the same result. We were both surprised by the call since the defender was entirely within the circle, but the announcers credited the defender. If it is on a catch and turn does the circle not matter?

My understanding is that if the offensive player initiates contact - in this case, French lowered his shoulder - it doesn't matter where the defender is.

slufanskip likes this

12 minutes ago, Pistol said:

My understanding is that if the offensive player initiates contact - in this case, French lowered his shoulder - it doesn't matter where the defender is.

I think your understanding has to be right which candidly does make sense. The offensive player catching and lowering his shoulder was what played out in the other game I was watching. In that one they showed a replay with the announcers crediting the defender without any mention of being squarely inside the circle, so I figured there had to be a distinction.

19 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Isn't that the definition of a charge, anywhere? Meaning a charge can only be called if the offensive player initiates contact? 

If that's the case, then why have a circle at all?