Well...There's Only One Thing Left To Do..

mrjoelabs

Right now I am seriously wondering if Travis is the answer, and highly concerned about Dayton dominating for years with their recruiting class.

However, this is about the players. They need to have heart.  At this point, all I want is us to end up seeded in the A10 tourney in a spot where we only can face Dayton in the final. And then I want to absolutely pound them in their stupid building to send them home for the season as they watch us punch our ticket.  That is really the only way to fix this stupid hex against this team. And the boys have to muscle up to do it. I know they CAN do it even in spite of their coach.

10 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

Right now I am seriously wondering if Travis is the answer, and highly concerned about Dayton dominating for years with their recruiting class.

However, this is about the players. They need to have heart.  At this point, all I want is us to end up seeded in the A10 tourney in a spot where we only can face Dayton in the final. And then I want to absolutely pound them in their stupid building to send them home for the season as they watch us punch our ticket.  That is really the only way to fix this stupid hex against this team. And the boys have to muscle up to do it. I know they CAN do it even in spite of their coach.

Some of you guys need to relax. Its times like these I can't tell what's serious and what's trolling. Minor setback for a major comeback. 

Littlebill, MattyMo213 and CBFan like this

5 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

Super Douchee labs needs to go away

When things go bad Rich it brings out the worst and the result is threads like this.

It’s easy to beat up on coach after a disappointing thrashing we saw last night.

What I have seen from coach Ford is really good recruiting.  Coach Ford’s recruiting has resulted in 4 straight winning seasons.

I still possess on my DVR the 4 game thrilling ride when Fords team won 4 straight in the A10 tournament there was some good coaching in that tournament.

Last season I watched SLU go into Rhode Island who had won 20 games and beat RI in a huge game and go on to finish the season winning 5 in a row with victories over VCU and St. Bonaventure.

Last night thrashing is puzzling but SLU is not out of it.

We need to ignore clowns like this because this is there moment to say see I am right even though the record is 11-4.

I am all in with Ford and his coaches and I will enthusiastically be back in my seats in Chaifetz next season.

6 hours ago, mrjoelabs said:

So you ignore my main point, of lets beat them in their building for the A10 tourney..

It was not Travis out there blowing lay ups and going 7-31 from 3.....

The one thing Travis does that I just don’t get is his penchant for pulling hot players in order to place one of the Big 2 back in the game.  Last night Hargrove and Linssen were rolling....and then they were gone.  A few games ago the same thing occurred with Jacobs.  One just does not pull hot players, I don’t care what sport one is playing...

4 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

It was not Travis out there blowing lay ups and going 7-31 from 3.....

The one thing Travis does that I just don’t get is his penchant for pulling hot players in order to place one of the Big 2 back in the game.  Last night Hargrove and Linssen were rolling....and then they were gone.  A few games ago the same thing occurred with Jacobs.  One just does not pull hot players, I don’t care what sport one is playing...

true, however it was likely his decision to try to slow the game down rather than go fast on both ends.   pressure defense might produce some layups.  amazing how those layups raise the shooting percentage.    pressure defense maybe stops some of the many open three attempts where we have now seen in two games dayton is pretty good at.   travis ford is the guy that plays yuri with a delicate ankle even though the team was down almost 30 points with less than 5 minutes to go.    

yes the players didnt do the job.   probably the worst game ever for all three seniors as a group.   but dont let ford off the hook.  he needs to accept some of the blame if not the lions share imo.   

Gremio14 likes this

When NC State had us completely boxed in, Yuri ran us back into the game.  That wasn't going to happen on that ankle.  And nobody else has the jets and court vision to pose the Flyers much of a problem in transition.

If a team has two 6'10 guys to clog the middle and they stay at home on Perkins and Jimerson, I don't see a counter.  There's no path to the rim and the nonshooters who are left open won't make enough jump shots to hurt you.  Usually a team is looking to take one strength away.  Grant has the personnel and now the defensive strategy to take both strengths away -- Bully Ball and our best shooters.

Goodwin got it right in the post-game.  They panicked when open shots didn't go down early and began forcing shots and turning the ball over.  But I understand the source of the panic.  Our core offensive philosophy got exposed.  Perkins and Goodwin shot 2-14 and 3-16 respectively.  That probably hasn't happened since middle school.

5 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Goodwin got it right in the post-game.  They panicked when open shots didn't go down early and began forcing shots and turning the ball over.

This is definitely accurate but Ford and the senior leaders should make sure this doesn't happen. Easier said than done but the leadership lacked in the 1st half last night 

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

When NC State had us completely boxed in, Yuri ran us back into the game.  That wasn't going to happen on that ankle.  And nobody else has the jets and court vision to pose the Flyers much of a problem in transition.

If a team has two 6'10 guys to clog the middle and they stay at home on Perkins and Jimerson, I don't see a counter.  There's no path to the rim and the nonshooters who are left open won't make enough jump shots to hurt you.  Usually a team is looking to take one strength away.  Grant has the personnel and now the defensive strategy to take both strengths away -- Bully Ball and our best shooters.

Goodwin got it right in the post-game.  They panicked when open shots didn't go down early and began forcing shots and turning the ball over.  But I understand the source of the panic.  Our core offensive philosophy got exposed.  Perkins and Goodwin shot 2-14 and 3-16 respectively.  That probably hasn't happened since middle school.

The first 10 minutes jimerson and Perkins were getting wide open shots and throwing up bricks, then we panicked and tried to force things. 

Littlebill likes this

Did Ford get out coached last night?  Absolutely (especially in the first half).  Why he pulled the players that were keeping us in the game I will never understand.

The players are just as accountable.  I’ve never seen so many open looks clank off the back of the rim.  Add that to zero offensive rebounds (at least it seemed that way), and you can see why we got blown out.

I’m not going to even start on the defensive effort.  It was pathetic.

billiken_roy likes this

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Count GJ and our 3 leading scorers went 7/37 (We make 17 (46%) 10 more buckets -4 (made 3's) so 6 more 2 pt'ers for 12 more points) for 19% and 2/17 from 3 for 12% ( we make 6 we're plus 12 in points ) If we shoot our average we also slow Dayton down. Dayton had a 25-3 difference in fast break points. You can probably cut that in half if we shoot our norms. 

For all dogging Has he played 18 min 6 pts (3/5) 6 boards, a steal and 4 t/o's but 3 assists. 4 fouls.  Obviously too many t/o's and foul trouble but not as bad a game as you might think he had reading this board. Has didn't play good but his performance wasn't a main reason we lost the game. 

Linnsen 15 min 6 points, 4 boards, 0 steals, 0 assists, 1 foul, 1 t/o. more minutes from him wouldn't have changed the game. 

The major reason (and by a large, large margin ) we lost this game was our inability to make the ball go through the basket. Our first 4 shots were all 3 pointers and we missed them all plus a 2 pointer before we scored our first basket. We closed it to 3 points then they scored to make it 5. Has turns it over twice making and the lead is 10. ( Not good but certainly didn't cause the loss ) We then missed our next 11 shots in a row. 2-3's and 4 in the paint. 

Dayton shot 50% from the field they shoot .476 on the year ( a difference of just over 1 basket)  They shoot 36% from 3, they shot 36% last night. 

We won the boards by 7 which is remarkable considering we had 25 defensive board opportunities and they had 51. We had 21 offensive rebounds and still only scored 18 pts in the paint. Hell we should have had more than that just off the 21 offensive boards. 

Dayton with 4 more assists and 3 less t/o's not game changing in either category. 

skip our lot of our shot missing imo can be contributed to a lot of standing around and watching the guy with the ball play one on one.  our motion offense doesnt have much motion.   at least not last night.   if you got one or two guys all over you forcing the shot (thinking goodwin and perkins mostly) isnt going to be conducive to shot making much.  

as to dayton's makes, we didnt guard very well so they were actually open to shoot.   

35 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

skip our lot of our shot missing imo can be contributed to a lot of standing around and watching the guy with the ball play one on one.  our motion offense doesnt have much motion.   at least not last night.   if you got one or two guys all over you forcing the shot (thinking goodwin and perkins mostly) isnt going to be conducive to shot making much.  

as to dayton's makes, we didnt guard very well so they were actually open to shoot.   

Maybe Dayton was open but they actually shot at about their norms. 

I watched the the 1st half on my phone at work and by the time I got home the game was almost over and I admittedly didn't watch the 2nd half as I knew the score and wanted to be able to fall asleep last night. I'll watch the entire game this weekend. Early in the 1st half though we just missed and I don't remember the 11 straight misses after we closed it to 3 points in the 1st half.  

12 hours ago, mrjoelabs said:

So you ignore my main point, of lets beat them in their building for the A10 tourney..

Yeah. I ignore that. Fixating on wanting to beat Dayton in their arena seems like pointless emotional beef that is a distraction from the main goal of getting to the tourney and getting the best seed possible. The "Only One Thing left To Do...." is too win out during the regular season. Wins against VCU, Richmond and UMass would have things back on track in terms of at-large. It's not the right time to worry about beating Dayton at Dayton (the time for that was two nights ago) and never the right time to worry about dreamt up hexes. 

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

7 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Count GJ and our 3 leading scorers went 7/37 (We make 17 (46%) 10 more buckets -4 (made 3's) so 6 more 2 pt'ers for 12 more points) for 19% and 2/17 from 3 for 12% ( we make 6 we're plus 12 in points ) If we shoot our average we also slow Dayton down. Dayton had a 25-3 difference in fast break points. You can probably cut that in half if we shoot our norms. 

For all dogging Has he played 18 min 6 pts (3/5) 6 boards, a steal and 4 t/o's but 3 assists. 4 fouls.  Obviously too many t/o's and foul trouble but not as bad a game as you might think he had reading this board. Has didn't play good but his performance wasn't a main reason we lost the game. 

Linnsen 15 min 6 points, 4 boards, 0 steals, 0 assists, 1 foul, 1 t/o. more minutes from him wouldn't have changed the game. 

The major reason (and by a large, large margin ) we lost this game was our inability to make the ball go through the basket. Our first 4 shots were all 3 pointers and we missed them all plus a 2 pointer before we scored our first basket. We closed it to 3 points then they scored to make it 5. Has turns it over twice making and the lead is 10. ( Not good but certainly didn't cause the loss ) We then missed our next 11 shots in a row. 2-3's and 4 in the paint. 

Dayton shot 50% from the field they shoot .476 on the year ( a difference of just over 1 basket)  They shoot 36% from 3, they shot 36% last night. 

We won the boards by 7 which is remarkable considering we had 25 defensive board opportunities and they had 51. We had 21 offensive rebounds and still only scored 18 pts in the paint. Hell we should have had more than that just off the 21 offensive boards. 

Dayton with 4 more assists and 3 less t/o's not game changing in either category. 

Not a bad game by Has?   He takes only 5 shots and ends the game with 6 points while playing only 18 minutes?   You do remember him carrying out team last year with 41 minutes in the OT loss to Dayton taking 16 shots (6 of 16) and going to FT line all night?  I do.  Here is the box score

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401170242

More time for Linssen would not have made a difference?  Yes it would. How about we play him 32 minutes and feed him the ball? How about we feed the ball inside inside to Bell too and make points that way, and if/when fouled, we shoot FTs?  Both Bell and Linssen can make their FTs.  We didn’t even look at the low post much less try to feed the low post. 
Anthony Grant, the guy who failed at Alabama, is now some genius of a coach who shuts down Bully Ball? an interior wall ? they shut down Perkins and Goodwin?  3Star.  Sorry. I didn’t see that either.  Goodwin and Perkins shut themselves down. I saw them miss shot after shot - not bc of UD and Anthony Grant. Except for some very bright spots here and there, Perkins has not played well since the team’s return from Covid. In fact he was brutal in the LaSalle game, wasn't good for large stretches in our other wins and I don’t remember anyone giving credit to LaSalle and the other coaches for being basketball geniuses. 
And yes, when our Center or only big does not get the ball and our PG not only does not score but does not draw a defense, then yes, shutting down two of our remaining three players is certainly an effective strategy. 
I have sure heard a lot of people being held responsible for last night’s loss, and yes there is a lot of blame to go around, but the one name I have not heard has been Fred Thatch. Wasn’t he projected by many on this Board to be our defense of stopper? Well, our defense didn’t stop anyone. Wasn’t he going to dominate? Wasn't he going to lead us to our win over Dayton?  I believe Fred played 13 minutes and had zero points. 

6 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Not a bad game by Has?   He takes only 5 shots and ends the game with 6 points while playing only 18 minutes?   You do remember him carrying out team last year with 41 minutes in the OT loss to Dayton taking 16 shots (6 of 16) and going to FT line all night?  I do.  Here is the box score

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401170242

More time for Linssen would not have made a difference?  Yes it would. How about we play him 32 minutes and feed him the ball? How about we feed the ball inside inside to Bell too and make points that way, and if/when fouled, we shoot FTs?  Both Bell and Linssen can make their FTs.  We didn’t even look at the low post much less try to feed the low post. 
Anthony Grant, the guy who failed at Alabama, is now some genius of a coach who shuts down Bully Ball? an interior wall ? they shut down Perkins and Goodwin?  3Star.  Sorry. I didn’t see that either.  Goodwin and Perkins shut themselves down. I saw them miss shot after shot - not bc of UD and Anthony Grant. Except for some very bright spots here and there, Perkins has not played well since the team’s return from Covid. In fact he was brutal in the LaSalle game, wasn't good for large stretches in our other wins and I don’t remember anyone giving credit to LaSalle and the other coaches for being basketball geniuses. 
And yes, when our Center or only big does not get the ball and our PG not only does not score but does not draw a defense, then yes, shutting down two of our remaining three players is certainly an effective strategy. 
I have sure heard a lot of people being held responsible for last night’s loss, and yes there is a lot of blame to go around, but the one name I have not heard has been Fred Thatch. Wasn’t he projected by many on this Board to be our defense of stopper? Well, our defense didn’t stop anyone. Wasn’t he going to dominate? Wasn't he going to lead us to our win over Dayton?  I believe Fred played 13 minutes and had zero points. 

I believe you have reading comprehension issues. 

I actually prefer not to debate with you. You have your opinion. Great

12 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I believe you have reading comprehension issues. 

I actually prefer not to debate with you. You have your opinion. Great

That’s fine. I know you said Has’ actual production numbers weren’t bad  (3 of 5) in response to his detractors.  My point, and sorry that it came across directly to you (not my intent) is what he didn’t do and what neither he nor the other bigs were given the chance to do. 

9 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

That’s fine. I know you said Has’ actual production numbers weren’t bad  (3 of 5) in response to his detractors.  My point, and sorry that it came across directly to you (not my intent) is what he didn’t do and what neither he nor the other bigs were given the chance to do. 

Appreciate your post. What I actually said was wasn’t AS BAD as some were making it out to be. He made good on the attempts he got 3/5.  6 boards in 18 min is very good as is 3 assists for a big. 4 turnovers and 4 fouls not good at all. 

As for Linssen. No, more minutes wouldn’t have made a difference. He had 2 shots in 15 min. We didn’t feed him at all as they were taking the inside away. What makes you think that would have changed? He’s not the defender or the passer or rebounder out of the post that Has is either. So again more minutes for Linssen wouldn’t have changed the game. Stating if we played him more and fed him more it would have changed the game is a different statement. However, let’s get real, we would have had to have fed him a whole lot more lol. We lost that game exactly for the reason I stated. We shot extremely poor. Whether that’s because we were closely guarded and the shots were highly contested as Roy states or as you state we missed a lot of open shots. That’s not a point I was making.

This is like the Yuri discussion. You said if we recruited a good pg he’d play. That clearly insinuates Yuri isn’t good or why would any good pg automatically play over him. Maybe what you meant was if we recruited a better pg than Yuri. Not what you said though. Then you went and named all these guys who are better than him, many of them you were clearly considering their play as Srs over Yuri as a Soph. You even tried to make your argument by claiming Larry Hughes was an ex Billiken Pg better than Yuri. You know Larry wasn’t a pg. second Larry was one of the best players in the country. Of course if we recruit a top 10 player he’s playing. 

In the end it simply boiled down to you feel Yuri needs to score more.