Slu adds umass to the schedule

wgstl

• wgstl changed the title to Slu adds umass to the schedule

UMass is currently on a campus-wide COVID pause.  There are no athletic practices or competitions per University rules.  I have no idea if / when that is expected to be lifted.  I hope / assume A10 knows something and UMass will for sure be able to play that game.  It would really suck if the Seniors do not get a proper send off.

This has potential do be the reverse of what SLU suffered against LaSalle & Dayton.  UMass last played 2/6 at Rhode Island.  As far as I know they haven't had any positives on the team and are just paused because of campus rules.  Either way not practicing for a few weeks and then maybe only have a few days of practice before a game is not ideal.  Additionally, Tre Mitchell last played 1/24 vs Davidson.  UMass won the 2 games he sat out with a shoulder injury (Fordham and at Rhody).  If he is missing or rusty that's a big blow for UMass as well.

First & foremost SLU needs to take care of business vs Dayton, VCU & Richmond.  However, this UMass game sets them up nicely to maintain a top 4 finish even if they drop one of those other 3 games.  It also potentially knocks UMass out of the top 4 which stinks for them sort of, but also the schedule they played during their 6 - 2 start to A10 play has been Charmin soft.  Therefore, I don't feel too bad that they aren't going to be allowed to sneak into the top 4 because of a timely COVID pause.

16 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Umass was/is on pause through 2:21 last I saw.

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I don’t have it in front of me but they are allowing practices for all teams pretty soon but no on campus competitions until mid March. 

I see now the A10 has UMass playing at Richmond on 2/23.  If UMass gets to return to practice on 2/21 for the 1st time since 2/6 and then fly to Richmond for a game on 2/23 that's really rough.  Sets up nicely for Richmond to get a blowout win over UMass that may boost their NET though.  Also stinks for SLU that UMass will get a tune up against Richmond before they play us, but we ought to have no trouble handling UMass at home either way.  If we do, then we've got bigger issues.

Not wanting a political discussion but who is making these decisions?  UMass President?   UMass is a public school so is their Governor involved?  Does the NCAA have their version of medical experts recommending a campus wide shutdown.  If similar numbers occurred at SLU, would this be a decision of Dr P and likely our Board of Trustees?

11 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Not wanting a political discussion but who is making these decisions?  UMass President?   UMass is a public school so is their Governor involved?  Does the NCAA have their version of medical experts recommending a campus wide shutdown.  If similar numbers occurred at SLU, would this be a decision of Dr P and likely our Board of Trustees?

Massachusetts the state has high Covid rates. I’m guessing the Governor is involved but I don’t know that for sure. 

Here is a complete list of the remaining schedule and changes announced by the Atlantic 10:

Tuesday, February 23
UMass @ Richmond – TBD
Saint Louis @ VCU – 6:00pm (CBSSN)

Wednesday, February 24
George Washington @ George Mason – TBD
Dayton @ Saint Joseph's – 7:00 pm
St. Bonaventure @ Davidson – TBD
Duquesne @ La Salle – TBD

Friday, February 26
Richmond @ Saint Louis 7:00pm (ET) ESPN
GW @ St. Bonaventure TBD

Saturday, February 27