Midtown Madness: Episode 2.5 Arch Baron Cup Crossover W/ Dan Sullivan of Talking out LOWD.

Podcast

In this very special ABC episode we crossover with Dan Sullivan and his Dayton Flyers podcast Talking Out LOWD. We look back at the first meeting of this season in the Arch Baron Cup rivalry. We talk about the directions both teams have headed since that game and we preview Round 2 of The Rivalry!

WARNING: Some adult language is used at various points of the episode!

View the full article

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I ask the hard question all Billiken fans are worried about: Will Jalen Crutcher return for a bonus year?

i say as usual, take the money and run.   never know when the career injury will happen.  if he can hook on dont stay.

I gave this  a listen last night.  Great listen overall and fun to have an opposing view on.  I was sort of appalled that when Sullivan said something like "Crutcher is going to be the best player on the floor during the game..." neither of you pushed back on that in favor of Jordan Goodwin.  I don't think it is too controversial to say Crutcher will be the best offensive player (though an efficiency based case could be made for Perkins), but overall I think it gets more fuzzy.  Stats wise - Evan Miya (https://evanmiya.com/) has Goodwin #46 ITN in his player ratings and Crutcher is #328, but T-Rank (https://barttorvik.com/playerstat.php?link=y&cvalue=A10&xvalue=undefined&year=2021&start=20201101&end=20210501) has Crutcher pretty easily #1 in the A10 and Goodwin at #18.  

Littlebill likes this

8 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I gave this  a listen last night.  Great listen overall and fun to have an opposing view on.  I was sort of appalled that when Sullivan said something like "Crutcher is going to be the best player on the floor during the game..." neither of you pushed back on that in favor of Jordan Goodwin.  I don't think it is too controversial to say Crutcher will be the best offensive player (though an efficiency based case could be made for Perkins), but overall I think it gets more fuzzy.  Stats wise - Evan Miya (https://evanmiya.com/) has Goodwin #46 ITN in his player ratings and Crutcher is #328, but T-Rank (https://barttorvik.com/playerstat.php?link=y&cvalue=A10&xvalue=undefined&year=2021&start=20201101&end=20210501) has Crutcher pretty easily #1 in the A10 and Goodwin at #18.  

Thank you for your support! If you watch the video pod on youtube, you can probably see me roll my eyes when he said it.

-Zac

RUBillsFan likes this

I won’t matter if Crutcher is the best player on the court Crutcher is one player and is not a better player by much.  The next 4 starters on Dayton’s team are not as good as our other 4 starters.

Our bench if Collins plays is Thatch, Hargrove, Linssen, Jacobs and Bell is better than Dayton’s.

It is time to take control of the A10 and be the team we were supposed to be.

54 minutes ago, Midtown Madness said:

Thank you for your support! If you watch the video pod on youtube, you can probably see me roll my eyes when he said it.

-Zac

In terms of metrics/monetization/benefit to you/etc., is it preferable to have people watch on YouTube or listen on Spotify?

6 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I won’t matter if Crutcher is the best player on the court Crutcher is one player and is not a better player by much.  The next 4 starters on Dayton’s team are not as good as our other 4 starters.

Our bench if Collins plays is Thatch, Hargrove, Linssen, Jacobs and Bell is better than Dayton’s.

It is time to take control of the A10 and be the team we were supposed to be.

this time of year, one player can truly be the difference.   time and time again in my lifetime i have seen a player step up and seemigly one handedly lead a team through the end of the season.   crutcher is the guy with the credentials and history to do this.  my gosh, last game vs dayton was textbook proof. 

that said we have plenty of down the stretch gamer candidates as well.   more than dayton does imo.   but that doesnt rule out crutcher's opportunity to play the role of jimmy chitwood.

dennis_w likes this

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

that said we have plenty of down the stretch gamer candidates as well.   more than dayton does imo.   but that doesnt rule out crutcher's opportunity to play the role of jimmy chitwood.

Crutcher is going to get his against us.  We can't let Watson go 4-6 from the 3 again.  

HoosierPal likes this

2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

So anyone who ever again quotes a rank by T-Rank should be dismissed. Any metric that has JGood as the 18th best player in the A10 is ridiculous. Edit 3 Star explained T Rank is just an efficiency rating. You may all now use T Rank as a source again

Crutcher is not better than JGood as an all around player. Yes Crutcher is a better and more efficient scorer than JGood. Crutcher has him beat by a small amount on assists but he is their primary pg. His assist numbers for a pg are just ok. JGood is just 1 apg lower despite having a teammate who averages 7 assists a game. J Good has double the steals at 1 more per game, but the real difference is that only one of them is truly elite in any category. I wouldn't trade Crutchers 3.8 ppg and 1 assist for JGood's 1 steal and 7 rebounds. 

BilliesBy40 likes this

2 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

So anyone who ever again quotes a rank by T-Rank should be dismissed. Any metric that has JGood as the 18th best player in the A10 is ridiculous. 

Crutcher is not better than JGood as an all around player. Yes Crutcher is a better and more efficient scorer than JGood. Crutcher has him beat by a small amount on assists but he is their primary pg. His assist numbers for a pg are just ok. JGood is just 1 apg lower despite having a teammate who averages 7 assists a game. J Good has double the steals at 1 more per game, but the real difference is that only one of them is truly elite in any category. I wouldn't trade Crutchers 3.8 ppg and 1 assist for JGood's 1 steal and 7 rebounds. 

I agree with you that I'd take J-Good's all around game over Crutcher.  I was just trying to point out that different stats sites disagree on who is better and I understand that an argument can be made about it.

FWIW I have no idea how T-Rank PRPG! player ratings work.  I suspect based on the A10 rankings that it skews heavily toward offense.  T-Rank has Goodwin 3rd in the A10 in box plus-minus behind Bones Hyland & Perkins and Crutcher is 20th.  That's another overall statistical measure that favors Goodwin.

slufanskip likes this

9 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Agree on Watson but I have a feeling tonight is the night they shut Crutcher down. 
I’m betting they hold him under 14.

I agree we can do that, but I hope that isn't the focus defensively. Watson and Weaver combining for 30 had more to do with why we lost than Crutcher dropping 27.

25 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

So anyone who ever again quotes a rank by T-Rank should be dismissed. Any metric that has JGood as the 18th best player in the A10 is ridiculous. 

The whole point of T-rank is to calculate offensive and defensive efficiency.  Scorers with high field goal percentages from two, three and  the free throw line are ranked high as long as they play decent defense.  It's an efficiency rating, nothing more.

slufanskip likes this

14 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The whole point of T-rank is to calculate offensive and defensive efficiency.  Scorers with high field goal percentages from two, three and  the free throw line are ranked high as long as they play decent defense.  It's an efficiency rating, nothing more.

That makes sense Thanks