Next Season

almaman

So food for thought. This is my reading of what we have after this season finishes.

2021-22

Freshman;

Strickland

Lorentsson

Russell

Jimerson

Commit

Commit?

Sophomore;

Collins

Hargrove

Bell

Thatch

Juniors;

Okoro

Linssen

Jacobs

Courtney

Seniors

none unless Hightower? or any of the 3 studs decide to stay.

53 minutes ago, almaman said:

Seniors

none unless Hightower? or any of the 3 studs decide to stay.

I hadn't previously thought about walk-ons getting the extra year of eligibility.  I suppose they do.  Would be nice to have experienced guys as practice bodies to help prepare for games.  However, I'd assume it is less likely walk-ons would use the year because they are paying their own way.  Hightower's case may be unique though because he is an accounting major.  If his plan is to get his CPA license he may need extra credit hours to get to the 150+ necessary to take the exam.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2021 at 10:58 PM, almaman said:

Great song that seems optimistic until you read the back story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Future's_So_Bright,_I_Gotta_Wear_Shades - Either way, I'm optimistic about the idea of Javonte lobbing three-point bombs at the opposition next year.

Contracts were amended or some torn up this crazy season, but here are what I have listed for next season's OOC

Mountain West Challenge

Auburn (home)

Boston College (home)

Minnesota (home)?

Memphis (away)

As far as the team makeup, all we know as of today is that Perkins says he will be back.  Who transfers out, who transfers in?  A big unknown today.

billiken_roy likes this

35 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Contracts were amended or some torn up this crazy season, but here are what I have listed for next season's OOC

Mountain West Challenge

Auburn (home)

Boston College (home)

Minnesota (home)?

Memphis (away)

As far as the team makeup, all we know as of today is that Perkins says he will be back.  Who transfers out, who transfers in?  A big unknown today.

"as of today"   everyone remember that.    while i am thrilled as a fan he is coming back, unless a scout is whispering in his ear, i really dont get it.   or maybe he just wants that master's degree, if that is the case i am extremely proud of him for that decision.   regardless if it holds, good for us fans!

28 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

"as of today"   everyone remember that.    while i am thrilled as a fan he is coming back, unless a scout is whispering in his ear, i really dont get it.   or maybe he just wants that master's degree, if that is the case i am extremely proud of him for that decision.   regardless if it holds, good for us fans!

With the fact that some version of NIL will be in effect in the next academic year, I don't think he is really giving up all that much if anything by not playing overseas next season.  SLU tuition, room and board, books and other items is over $60,000.  Lets say he gets a one year free lease of something like a Yukon Denali with insurance covered in a NIL deal, that is worth over $20,000.  He does some other NIL deals that get him a couple thousand a month, $24,000.  Plus he gets a $3,600 athletic stipend.  That comes out to over a $110,000 dollars worth of money and other benefits.  Plus, I think I am probably on the conservative side of what a hometown star could make from NIL deals at SLU when alumni get involved.

That is not a bad deal to avoid having to leave your girlfriend and family behind to go play ball overseas.

13 minutes ago, brianstl said:

With the fact that some version of NIL will be in effect in the next academic year, I don't think he is really giving up all that much if anything by not playing overseas next season.  SLU tuition, room and board, books and other items is over $60,000.  Lets say he gets a one year free lease of something like a Yukon Denali with insurance covered in a NIL deal, that is worth over $20,000.  He does some other NIL deals that get him a couple thousand a month, $24,000.  Plus he gets a $3,600 athletic stipend.  That comes out to over a $110,000 dollars worth of money and other benefits.  Plus, I think I am probably on the conservative side of what a hometown star could make from NIL deals at SLU when alumni get involved.

That is not a bad deal to avoid having to leave your girlfriend and family behind to go play ball overseas.

Plus FREE IMO’S FOR LIFE!!

brianstl likes this

32 minutes ago, brianstl said:

injury is what scares me for him personally.  career ending or at least altering injury and he never even gets his chance.   he's good enough right now to make a living at basketball.  is he an nba player?   probably not, but i do think he is good enough to get a free agent invite to the summer league and from there who knows.   every team as 2-3 of these guys on the team.   and if not there he can play in australia, or china, or russia or europe.   some of our guys aleady making a career out of foreign basketball are proof of that.  

11 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

injury is what scares me for him personally.  career ending or at least altering injury and he never even gets his chance.   he's good enough right now to make a living at basketball.  is he an nba player?   probably not, but i do think he is good enough to get a free agent invite to the summer league and from there who knows.   every team as 2-3 of these guys on the team.   and if not there he can play in australia, or china, or russia or europe.   some of our guys aleady making a career out of foreign basketball are proof of that.  

None of those places you are talking about are going to offer a multiple year, fully guaranteed contract. So, if he get's hurt there it's kind of the same as if he get's hurt at SLU next season.

RUBillsFan likes this

Just now, billiken_roy said:

But if he can make the equivalent or more with money and other benefits at SLU next season as he would playing overseas, why not stay another season at SLU?  NIL changes the math for a guy like Perkins when it comes to staying another season or not. He is most likely not going to make six figures overseas next season as the teams in Europe are really hurting financially from COVID.

5 minutes ago, brianstl said:

But if he can make the equivalent or more with money and other benefits at SLU next season as he would playing overseas, why not stay another season at SLU?  NIL changes the math for a guy like Perkins when it comes to staying another season or not. He is most likely not going to make six figures overseas next season as the teams in Europe are really hurting financially from COVID.

like i said, career ending or altering injury.   as to whether pros overseas are still making a living or not, i have no idea.   it appears there are games being played.   whether they had to take pay cuts or not i cant attest to that.  

13 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

like i said, career ending or altering injury.   as to whether pros overseas are still making a living or not, i have no idea.   it appears there are games being played.   whether they had to take pay cuts or not i cant attest to that.  

Jimmer Fredette played on the Greek League Champion and was a top 20 scorer in the EuroLeague who made 49% of three pointers.  The team not only voided his two year contract for financial reasons, it is the same reason that Pitino left the team as coach to take over Iona.

-scholarships are not taxable income, I am guessing that any NIL related dollars would be taxed, does anyone know? I would think Marge Imo would want to deduct the $$$ she pays so the offset is income somewhere

-or could the NIL money be 'donated' to the school who then provides to the player?

1 minute ago, Cowboy said:

-scholarships are not taxable income, I am guessing that any NIL related dollars would be taxed, does anyone know? I would think Marge Imo would want to deduct the $$$ she pays so the offset is income somewhere

-or could the NIL money be 'donated' to the school who then provides to the player?

NIL money will be taxable income.  This money will end up impacting the money that flows into the athletic department as sponsorships and donations.  Long term I think it is going to impact the salaries of college football and basketball coaches negatively.  It becomes a question for current boosters about where theirmoney has the biggest impact on the program.  Are they going to get the most bang for their buck by pouring all their donations to help pay the coach's salary or will signing players to NIL deals get the team better results on the court by getting talent while providing a positive PR impact for any businesses they operate.

Look at it this way,  is it a better business decision for Fieldhouse to be an official sponsor for Billiken athletics or to sign NIL deals with the top players to do meet and greets with fans after home games and other days along with using them in advertisements? Which is better for the basketball program?  It could very well be that doing both is in Fieldhouse's best interest or that just remaining an official sponsor of Billiken athletics is the best option.

The only thing I know for sure is that the whole game is about to completely change and SLU better be really planning for it.

BilliesBy40 likes this

The experience of playing overseas can vary widely depending on where you end up. You could be playing for good money and living comfortably in Australia, Germany, or Spain. You could also be wondering when you're going to be paid next while living in a shared apartment in a country whose government is roughly the same age as you. Most guys who go overseas after college experience both of these extremes and/or something between the two.

Isabell has been playing for under two years and gone from Belgium to Cyprus to Macedonia to Kosovo. He's already experienced team politics (getting booted from Antwerp because they're returning star saw him as a threat), teams not paying on time or at all, and the multitude of other challenges that go with the mercenary lifestyle of an American playing abroad.

Getting more attention in college before moving on to the G-League is a reasonable path for a late bloomer who needs to expand and polish his skill set.

A basketball player not a thug; who added 15-20 pounds this year who might be a little stronger next year. Why not be the returning leading scorer.  He should increase his brand value by staying.

As a retired CPA I used to know this but am not going there do any research.  A big chunk of $$ earned overseas is not taxed in the US.  I have no idea about income taxation in all the countries with pro hoops but it’s probable that these guys can come home post basketball with a nice nest egg.

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

the compelling reason for Perkins to return is to gain physical strength. That is his one glaring weakness. I think there is an argument to be made that he could accomplish that better/easier by staying in St Louis, with out the pressures of overseas living and an increased playing schedule.

dennis_w likes this