GDT: vs LaSalle

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Glorydayzedandconfused said:

I do not understand how people called me a troll. Martin has improved and French has declined rapidly. He is not at a pro level or even close. I believe Bell has more blocked shots than him. Blame covid or whatever but he has lost his right to start. When we see Okoro play next year with Martin, we will see how deficient French really is in PF skillsets. This is not the French we used to have and I don't want recency bias to have us lose in the tournament. I legitimately believe Martin on the floor has more + than French now

i appreciate what Martin brings to the team, and he definitely has an important role, that said, he is not remotely the defensive presence inside as French...i will agree with you about Okoro and what he could bring to the team next year...

10 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

i appreciate what Martin brings to the team, and he definitely has an important role, that said, he is not remotely the defensive presence inside as French...i will agree with you about Okoro and what he could bring to the team next year...

French's defense is good but he is no longer the wall he once was. At least I havent seen it recently. And add in all the missed FT attempts the past 3 years, its easy to push it aside when its a blowout win but close games against B10 or whomever we play in the tournament will bite us in the butt. 0/4 can turn to 1/8 quickly

1 minute ago, Glorydayzedandconfused said:

French's defense is good but he is no longer the wall he once was. At least I havent seen it recently. And add in all the missed FT attempts the past 3 years, its easy to push it aside when its a blowout win but close games against B10 or whomever we play in the tournament will bite us in the butt. 0/4 can turn to 1/8 quickly

Yes, you are a troll....

AGB91 and Billikenbooster like this

1 minute ago, Glorydayzedandconfused said:

What makes you say he’s no longer the wall he once was? His defensive analytics remain off the chart (whereas Linssen’s are not very good, btw). He leads our team in block % even though he no longer has the benefit of guarding the 4 (which freed him up for more weak side blocks). 

He’s having his most efficient offensive season despite the free throw woes. His FG% is higher than any prior season, and he turns the ball over less and assists more than he ever has.

Don’t like numbers and prefer eye test? He put up 12 points in limited minutes against Minnesota despite going up a big time shot blocker in Robbins. 16 points in his first game back against Dayton and Tchimanga. 13 rebounds going against Bates from NC State. Go back and watch the LSU game and see how easy it was for them to score in the paint against us and show me an example of that happening with Hasahn in the game.

RUBillsFan and Littlebill like this

6 minutes ago, NH said:

What makes you say he’s no longer the wall he once was? His defensive analytics remain off the chart (whereas Linssen’s are not very good, btw). He leads our team in block % even though he no longer has the benefit of guarding the 4 (which freed him up for more weak side blocks). 

He’s having his most efficient offensive season despite the free throw woes. His FG% is higher than any prior season, and he turns the ball over less and assists more than he ever has.

Don’t like numbers and prefer eye test? He put up 12 points in limited minutes against Minnesota despite going up a big time shot blocker in Robbins. 16 points in his first game back against Dayton and Tchimanga. 13 rebounds going against Bates from NC State. Go back and watch the LSU game and see how easy it was for them to score in the paint against us and show me an example of that happening with Hasahn in the game.

French may be the best interior defensive player i have ever seen in a Billiken uniform...his leaping ability and timing are amazing...it's extremely difficult to ever get him to leave his feet early...

SLU_Lax and rgbilliken like this

15 minutes ago, NH said:

I will say, French does seem to turn it up against tougher opponents. 

4 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

French may be the best interior defensive player i have ever seen in a Billiken uniform...his leaping ability and timing are amazing...it's extremely difficult to ever get him to leave his feet early...

And he can guard any player on the court. 

SLU_Lax likes this

3 minutes ago, slusam said:

And he can guard any player on the court. 

This is such a huge advantage for us defensively because we can switch every screen and not worry about having a lumbering big man on the perimeter trying to cover a a quick quicker / smaller guy.  It is basically what made the Warriors lineups with Draymond Green at center so effective on D.

When French is playing D on a guard on the perimeter, I'm not worried at all about the guy he is guarding scoring.  The concern is usually that there is a smaller guy matched against a big inside.  However, we have very strong big guards like Thatch & Goodwin who can play very effective post D and those guys are also excellent at helping / doubling in the post when a mismatch occurs.  It results in a lot of steals or rushed / missed shots by the opposing big man.  Occasionally there is pass out to an open shooter when the double comes, but most A10 bigs aren't great passers & our guards are quick to recover / contest.  Also that pass out of the post is coming very late in the shot clock, so there are not many options left but chuck it up.

rgbilliken likes this

I think most true Bills fans appreciate what Has gives us. He’s a force both on D and on O. I do feel the emergence of Perkins and Gibby as perimeter shooters has cut down on his scoring opportunities vs the past. All that said, there’s no denying he’s a real liability at the end of tight games because of his inability to hit the ocean from the beach on FTs. I don’t think anyone’s saying Marten or Jimmy Bell is more valuable just that they are capable backups. And necessary backups in tight games. 

Btw - anyone else run into the beer shortage right after halftime at the Fetz?  What the hell?  Losing out on revenue.  They need to realize that most of us bills fans are a bunch of boozers.

brianstl likes this

I was told a couple guys were thrown out of the game midway through the second half because they were yelling at LaSalle's coach.  I heard they weren't cussing but I don't know for sure.  Anyone there last night see or hear them?  I also wonder if it's because only 800 people are in there so its just more annoying now than it was with a normal crowd or they truly don't want fans yelling at the coach.

56 minutes ago, joe_davola said:

Btw - anyone else run into the beer shortage right after halftime at the Fetz?  What the hell?  Losing out on revenue.  They need to realize that most of us bills fans are a bunch of boozers.

800 fans means they should have maybe 5,600 beers ready to go.

joe_davola likes this

38 minutes ago, StlBills said:

I was told a couple guys were thrown out of the game midway through the second half because they were yelling at LaSalle's coach.  I heard they weren't cussing but I don't know for sure.  Anyone there last night see or hear them?  I also wonder if it's because only 800 people are in there so its just more annoying now than it was with a normal crowd or they truly don't want fans yelling at the coach.

Wait really?

A guy in my group was berating Schmidt from Bona and there wasn't anything said to us from anyone. As long as everything in this case was G-rated, I can't imagine what would be cause for ejection

RUBillsFan likes this

36 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Wait really?

A guy in my group was berating Schmidt from Bona and there wasn't anything said to us from anyone. As long as everything in this case was G-rated, I can't imagine what would be cause for ejection

IMO as long as you're not yelling anything inappropriate / vulgar, IMO coaches should be fair game for taunting by fans.  Total BS if paying fans were thrown out for yelling at the coach and they weren't cussing.  That's called home court advantage if the opposing coach allows fans yelling at him to get under his skin.

Look before people go off the deep end over this supposed fan ejection lets keep in mind that St. Bills is giving us hearsay information.  He admits he did not hear it - might this be an urban myth so to speak.  I doubt people were being ejected for just normal yelling.  One problem with some is that they immediately think the worse of our Athletic Department.  TI am pretty sure that there is more to this story.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Look before people go off the deep end over this supposed fan ejection lets keep in mind that St. Bills is giving us hearsay information.  He admits he did not hear it - might this be an urban myth so to speak.  I doubt people were being ejected for just normal yelling.  One problem with some is that they immediately think the worse of our Athletic Department.  TI am pretty sure that there is more to this story.

I sure didn’t see or hear any disturbance. 

There were 4 guys behing the Lasalle bench in the upper deck who were having a great time. They gave it to the refs and the Lasalle bench pretty good. Funny. No cursing. No reason to be ejected. They did leave early, but I didn't see anyone come for them. I attributed that to the beer running out at halftime. 

14 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

this isnt the same french from the previous 3 years.    he is still a very good player, but it seems he doesnt have the same level of enthusiasm.   we see spurts of the old french but he disappears far too often.  just give me a couple of those highlight reel blocks has please.   i also wonder if he has put on some unwanted weight.   i am not sure if linssen is better, i doubt it, but right now i see more activity and enthusiasm from linssen that i do from has.   we need the old french back.   

I think French did not have a good experience during his draft attempt last summer. This may be dampening his level of enthusiasm. Of course this is just speculation but, he certainly is not playing like last year.

French in my eye is the same hard nosed player that he has been for almost 4 years.

French handles the ball well, passes well, defends well, catches the ball in the post area really well, kicks the ball out to the open shooter and dominate the boards.  French is the immovable force defending the post a shot blocker.

Linssen is our solid fill in that when relieving the werewolf gives SLU solid minutes and is the game closing big that is only half the defender and rebounder that French is.

A10 teams know who French is and won’t miss him when he is gone.  A10 teams game plan for French.

Blue font, I think Linssen should start over French, LMAO.