Dayton Gets Another 4-Star

Taj79

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Greer's dad had a cup of coffee in the NBA with the Bucks after starring at Temple and playing overseas for a few years. His grandpa was drafted by the Suns after playing college ball at Virginia State. Greer himself is a solid 3-star who had some nice offers and said he chose Dayton over Washington, Washington State, Seton Hall, and San Diego. Unfortunately, @Taj79, I think the overall VC star aggregation system is flawed. There's something wrong with how it's programmed and they've never fixed it.

Dayton's roster right now is concentrated in the senior and freshman classes. Next year, assuming the seniors all go, they'll be very young but very talented. Amzil is a freshman who just joined in time for the A10 season. Nwokeji had 29 vs. URI the other night. Sissoko is another promising big. Their incoming class is currently rated just inside the top 25 nationally. So the future is bright and our rivalry will be competitive for the foreseeable future.

On 2/16/2021 at 11:36 PM, Clock_Tower said:

Skip.  Help me bc I am trying to figure out your point?  Yuri is high quality pg but we have had better.  I am not intending to dismiss all the good that Yuri brings to the team nor am I trying to dismiss former Billiken greats.  Maybe we agree to disagree about how much a lock Yuri has on the team until he scores.  This year, we have experienced scorers in Goodwin, Perkins to carry the scoring load but likely not next year.  Even this year, how much better would our team be if scoring came from all positions?  And unlike you, I would play Freshman KM over Yuri.  Maybe you don't remember the points scored by Kwamain as a Freshman (11.0 ppg) and Sophomore (15.9 ppg) while still running the offense, playing great defense and having very good assist to turnover stats vs. Yuri last year (5.4 ppg) and this year's 12 games only split by COVID and now injured (5.7 ppg)  

I consider Kwamain a combo guard and obviously a better scorer than Yuri at this point in their careers. I remember KM's scoring, however, it appears maybe you misremember some things as he did not have a good assist to t/o ratio his 1st 2 years and had mediocre assist totals for a pg all 4 years. It really comes down to what you're looking for in that position. We needed KM to score and he did. Unless a team is deficient in scoring from the other positions I'd prefer to have a Yuri pg than a KM combo type guard unless the assist totals are closer and the scoring margin is drastic. 

I think it just boils down to what the team needs and what you prefer from the position. On this team I'd rather have Yuri's 5.7 ppg with 77/21 assist to t/o ratio. In addition I believe Yuri is a better floor general, the team just runs better with him. Players know if they move without the ball and get open Yuri will get them the ball in the right position to score. That's not a knock on Kwamain he was a very good player, just not the same type of player as Yuri. Yuri makes everyone else a better player, KM did not. 

On KM's teams we needed the scoring and he provided us that. However could you have imagined Yuri passing to Willie Reed? 

Like some others here I think Yuri will score more if it's what the team needs. In the end we just judge Yuri differently. Imo at this stage of his career he's the best pg I've ever seen in a Billiken uniform. 30 years. BTW ... that statement does not dismiss Billiken greats. 

skip if you watched yuri in high school.   (i saw him a few times)  yuri became the scorer when he had to.   i think that is the way he is wired.   his first thought is a pass first point guard.   when he has to, he can get his shots.   now he isnt a shooter like perkins or jimmerson, but i see no reason that wont continue to improve as he matures and his role and leadership role changes.  

my point is, i would take yuri over mitchell based on the fact mitchell was never the quality of point guard as yuri.   yuri isnt the scorer mitchell was, but he hasnt had to be thus far either. 

A10Ref and slufanskip like this

Something to consider.  Next year will have a numbers crunch for roster spots.  There will be zero seniors and schools like Duke. North Carolina and Kentucky will be looking for some super seniors for reinforcements rather than go to the next 5 star kid.  I'm sure Kansas will be looking for the best PG transfer they can find.  Kids that would automatically be P7/ Dayton SLU players maybe left off.  Talent should trickle down to lower level A10 schools and so on.  Now would be the time to have a spare scholarship.

12 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

skip if you watched yuri in high school.   (i saw him a few times)  yuri became the scorer when he had to.   i think that is the way he is wired.   his first thought is a pass first point guard.   when he has to, he can get his shots.   now he isnt a shooter like perkins or jimmerson, but i see no reason that wont continue to improve as he matures and his role and leadership role changes.  

my point is, i would take yuri over mitchell based on the fact mitchell was never the quality of point guard as yuri.   yuri isnt the scorer mitchell was, but he hasnt had to be thus far either. 

We are in agreement. I think he could score more if needed. I hope it's not though. However if Yuri never reaches 10 ppg but continues to run the team and gather the assists with a t/o ratio over 3/1 I'll still take Yuri over any Billiken pg I've seen. 

@Pistol —- I am hearing Sissoko will be in the transfer portal at the end of this year.  Wiz listed him as injured.  Can you clarify?  Just curious if you have heard what I have.  Frankly Sissoko has shown me nothing more than Tshimsnga, which really isn’t much.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

@Pistol —- I am hearing Sissoko will be in the transfer portal at the end of this year.  Wiz listed him as injured.  Can you clarify?  Just curious if you have heard what I have.  Frankly Sissoko has shown me nothing more than Tshimsnga, which really isn’t much.

-you've no doubt seen SVU more than me, but 6.8 and 8.0 in 23mpg is not horrible

7 hours ago, Taj79 said:

We didn't get into the Sissoko stuff on the podcast but I can do some digging.

@Cowboy:  I went back and counted .... I have seen 13 Dayton games this year.  Man, I need to get a life!

Tshimanga, who I call Tishymanga, is a disappointment if you ask me.  A guy going 6'11" and weighing 278 pounds ought to have five rebounds by default each game.  So 8 rpg is not that impressive to me.  And he is Dayton's only big so he ought to control things on the defensive end when in there.  He never strays from the paint.  I have seen many of those 13 games where the early score is like Dayton 2, Opponent 6, Jordy 6.  It is weird; he scores early as if Dayton wants to establish him, and then is gone for the night.  He is also incredibly foul prone (which obviously eliminates him scoring going forward or down the stretch).  Teams attack him, as French should do so tonight.  And then he's gone.  Sissoko hasn't played in about a month so the replacement becomes Nwokeji who is a different, more mobile power forward that can shoot when left aslone.  Evidence his 29 against Rhode Island.  But I also blame that on Markhel Mitchell who never ventures oputside the foul lien and Nwokeji was hitting threes unguarded that second half.

Tishymanga actually would allow us to play Jimmy Bell more because both bigs are stationary lane-cloggers.  Mitchell (Rhode Island), Soriano (Fordham), Osunniyi (Bonaventure) and Moore (La Salle) are other similar players.  The rest, including Wilson *Mason) and Hughes (Duquesne) seem to have the desire (not necessarily the ability) to step out and launch a three or two per game.  Covering guys like this doesn't fit well into the Jimmy Bell resume.

@Cowboy:  A brilliant man had a sign on his office desk that read, "If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullsh*t.  When all else fails, use statistics."  That was my dad.

Not knocking you at all but Tshimanga's +13 came while delivering one block, one point and five fouls.  Yes he got 10 rebounds.  I'd settle for that again tonight and see just where the chips fall.  To me, you can't let Watsdon and Crutcher combine for 45 points or let Weaver get 12.  Plus we can't allow the ascent of Zimi Nwojeki either.  Frankly, to me, Tshimanga is not a game changer.  But that's me.

21 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@Cowboy:  A brilliant man had a sign on his office desk that read, "If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullsh*t.  When all else fails, use statistics."  That was my dad.

Not knocking you at all but Tshimanga's +13 came while delivering one block, one point and five fouls.  Yes he got 10 rebounds.  I'd settle for that again tonight and see just where the chips fall.  To me, you can't let Watsdon and Crutcher combine for 45 points or let Weaver get 12.  Plus we can't allow the ascent of Zimi Nwojeki either.  Frankly, to me, Tshimanga is not a game changer.  But that's me.

Honestly if the opposing team has offensive firepower elsewhere (like Dayton does with Crutcher & Watson), them having a big that only rebounds / negates our advantage on the boards while fouling French a lot ends up being pretty bad for us.

Tshimanga is a monster on the boards this season.  He's the only player in the A10 with a higher Dreb% than Goodwin.

I'm not necessarily worried about him scoring, but he can definitely impact the game.

Edit: Of course if you just make shots, you don't really need to worry about an opponent's defensive rebounding.

27 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Honestly if the opposing team has offensive firepower elsewhere (like Dayton does with Crutcher & Watson), them having a big that only rebounds / negates our advantage on the boards while fouling French a lot ends up being pretty bad for us.

Tshimanga is a monster on the boards this season.  He's the only player in the A10 with a higher Dreb% than Goodwin.

I'm not necessarily worried about him scoring, but he can definitely impact the game.

Edit: Of course if you just make shots, you don't really need to worry about an opponent's defensive rebounding.

RU.   Please don't use logic or point out stats which don't fit the agenda here.   10 rpg (rebounds per game), or even 8 rpg seems alot to me, a MBM, but I guess not to others.   And being tall and standing out there is not working for Bell who has only 1.8 rpg, Linsenn (2.1 rpg) and French (7.1 rpg).  And even though games are decided by who scores more than the other team, scoring is not expected from all of our players so surely this must be the case for other programs.

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2021 at 2:55 PM, billiken_roy said:

he was a leader.   liddell's wing man for the first state championship.   kid was tough.   but i think he is at the right level for his athleticism.  he is a decent enough athlete, but maybe a step slow for the A10 and above.   

Malachi Smith has entered his name into the NBA Draft.