Dayton Gets Another 4-Star

Taj79

4 hours ago, CBFan said:

Isn’t the NCAA allowing expanded roster scholarships if the seniors decide to stay or is it just everyone gets a another year and 13 scholarships?

I think you are right - the team can go up to 15 is what I believe I saw.  Someone else may have better info.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I think you are right - the team can go up to 15 is what I believe I saw.  Someone else may have better info.

it used to be 13, but maybe they changed it.   women's is more scholarships, but i dont recall their number.

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

You don't feel Yuri is high quality? They'd have to be pretty damn good to replace him 

If we landed a Jalen Crutcher level PG I’d have no problem playing him alongside Yuri. Maybe that’s what Clock is saying.

slufanskip likes this

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Thank you for the information 

24 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

it used to be 13, but maybe they changed it.   women's is more scholarships, but i dont recall their number.

I used the google chrome and on ncassports.org  says that seniors using the extra year of eligibility will not count against the teams scholarship limit for the 2021-22 season.

The answer is that coach Ford has 3 scholarships no matter who comes back.

cheeseman likes this

23 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I used the google chrome and on ncassports.org  says that seniors using the extra year of eligibility will not count against the teams scholarship limit for the 2021-22 season.

The answer is that coach Ford has 3 scholarships no matter who comes back.

Yes our max number of scholarship players next season is 16, if all 3 seniors return. If 2 return then our number is 15. If 1 it’s 14. If none it is 13. 

3 hours ago, slufanskip said:

You don't feel Yuri is high quality? They'd have to be pretty damn good to replace him 

Skip. The question was if we landed a a high-quality point guard ... Not my question... and I did not say Yuri was not high-quality. Yuri is a good player for us, is still young and hopefully will continue to improve and develop other parts of his game. 
With that said, is Yuri the best point guard in the A10?  Until he is, until he scores, until he plays a more all around game .... I am looking to upgrade.  I would take Crutcher and a healthy Fatts over Yuri. I would also take Kwamain, Josh Fisher, H Waldman, Marquee Perry, Jordair, Jett, Mike McCall and Larry Hughes and maybe others over Yuri.  

13 hours ago, CBFan said:

I think coach Grant is doing a good job with Dayton, what is your opinion of coach Grant?

Coach Grant is able to recruit and last season’s team was probably a 2 seed in the NCAA tournament.  I think coach Grant is getting the maximum out of this season’s team.

Think he's a good HC and IMO Dayton would have been a tough out if there had been a Big Dance last year.

3 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Skip. The question was if we landed a a high-quality point guard ... Not my question... and I did not say Yuri was not high-quality. Yuri is a good player for us, is still young and hopefully will continue to improve and develop other parts of his game. 
With that said, is Yuri the best point guard in the A10?  Until he is, until he scores, until he plays a more all around game .... I am looking to upgrade.  I would take Crutcher and a healthy Fatts over Yuri. I would also take Kwamain, Josh Fisher, H Waldman, Marquee Perry, Jordair, Jett, Mike McCall and Larry Hughes and maybe others over Yuri.  

Crutcher yes even as a soph. 

Are you comparing Sr Fatts and Soph Yuri? I'll take Soph Yuri over Soph Fatts all day. 

With the Bills you named and as a pg I don't take any of them in their Soph year over Yuri. 

Larry Hughes really he was a pg? 

Bills71 likes this

3 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

You should re read the post. He said he didn't think a high quality pg would want to come and sit behind Yuri. That's it. 

You followed with if a high quality pg comes he plays. That clearly insinuates Yuri is not a high quality pg as if we get one he plays 

51 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

You should re read the post. He said he didn't think a high quality pg would want to come and sit behind Yuri. That's it. 

You followed with if a high quality pg comes he plays. That clearly insinuates Yuri is not a high quality pg as if we get one he plays 

Skip.  Help me bc I am trying to figure out your point?  Yuri is high quality pg but we have had better.  I am not intending to dismiss all the good that Yuri brings to the team nor am I trying to dismiss former Billiken greats.  Maybe we agree to disagree about how much a lock Yuri has on the team until he scores.  This year, we have experienced scorers in Goodwin, Perkins to carry the scoring load but likely not next year.  Even this year, how much better would our team be if scoring came from all positions?  And unlike you, I would play Freshman KM over Yuri.  Maybe you don't remember the points scored by Kwamain as a Freshman (11.0 ppg) and Sophomore (15.9 ppg) while still running the offense, playing great defense and having very good assist to turnover stats vs. Yuri last year (5.4 ppg) and this year's 12 games only split by COVID and now injured (5.7 ppg)  

We need Yuri to develop his offensive game.  The true studs in this league have scored AND distributes.  Crutcher.  Lofton.  Grady.  Gibbs.  Adams.  Gilyard.  To date, Yuri hasn't shown the ability to score consistently.  But he doesn't have to not this year.  Next year will be a different story.

3 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

We need Yuri to develop his offensive game.  The true studs in this league have scored AND distributes.  Crutcher.  Lofton.  Grady.  Gibbs.  Adams.  Gilyard.  To date, Yuri hasn't shown the ability to score consistently.  But he doesn't have to not this year.  Next year will be a different story.

This is the same pattern that played out in high school.  Didn't score much as an underclassman, then attacked the basket more as an upperclassman because his team required his scoring. 

It depends on what the roster looks like next year.  If the team requires Yuri to average double figures to win games, he'll do it.  If we're the best team in the conference doing it the way he's been doing it, he'll do that.  

NoCoBillsFan likes this

i wasnt a big yuri fan when we signed him.   in fact i think i pretty much labeled it a mistake.   just sure he was too little and would be overmatched.   

he won me over and i now believe he will be a billiken hall of famer by the time he graduates.    he is our ernie digregorio in the making and i love watching him develop.   what he lacks in size he easily makes up in smarts and quickness and unselfishness.   

while goodwin has been very good these games in his place at the point, i think we would be far better off with goodwin back on the wing and filling in at point when yuri rests or is in foul trouble.   

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

i wasnt a big yuri fan when we signed him.   in fact i think i pretty much labeled it a mistake.   just sure he was too little and would be overmatched.   

he won me over and i now believe he will be a billiken hall of famer by the time he graduates.    he is our ernie digregorio in the making and i love watching him develop.   what he lacks in size he easily makes up in smarts and quickness and unselfishness.   

while goodwin has been very good these games in his place at the point, i think we would be far better off with goodwin back on the wing and filling in at point when yuri rests or is in foul trouble.   

Agree. He has been good.  Hope you’re right about him being an Billiken HOF’er.  And I hope 3Star is correct about his offensive abilities. Not sure exactly where his points came from his senior year in high school but High school is high school and it gets much harder to do that and be a scorer at the upper D1 college level against opponents who also are all D1 athletes, are taller...  Still early to tell.  Yuri gets a pass from me for his Freshman year.  And this year, with the other scoring options, senior leadership, month-long shut down due to Covid and now injury, unfair to determine at this time and possibly this year. 

3 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Would you not agree that Yuri a better passer than all of those guys you mentioned? I agree that Yuri needs to improve as a shooter in order to maximize his potential, but even if he never scores more than 8-10 points a game he can still be an all-conference level play. 

Yuri made the all-freshman team last year and has this season improved in every facet of his game this season except for 3-point shooting. It's hard to be anything but ecstatic about what he's done so far. 

The 1st half against NC State was a good example of how Yuri can score when needed. Our half court offense was really sluggish, so Yuri single-handedly kept is in the game in that half as he attacked the basket and prevented us from getting run off the court. The second half, Perkins, Jimmerson and Goodwin started to get it rolling and Yuri settled back into being  a playmaker for others.

brianstl likes this

At the end of the day, it's really just math.  We've got 8 guys with an effective field goal percentage of well over 50%.  Those guys take the vast majority of our shots.   We know two of those guys are leaving but with Okoro and a transfer to be named later, we'll still have 8 guys next year with an effective field goal percentage of well over 50%.  It doesn't make sense to take shots away from those guys to give them to Yuri.

Compare that to Goodwin's sophomore year, where Yuri's effective field goal percentage of .467 is actually higher than Goodwin's and roughly the same as Bess and Isabell's.  On that team, it would make sense for Yuri to take 8-9 shots a game.  But it doesn't for this one.  

RUBillsFan likes this

@NH:  I would agree that Yuri is miles ahead of all those guys with the exceptions being Gilyard and Lofton.  At worst, he is equal to both of those two.  And Gilyard doesn’t score much what with Francis, Golden and Burton already there.  

@ACE:  agree Yuri carried us that half.  So it appears he can do it.

@3-star:  agree.  We’ll see what next year brings.

@all:  I’m all in on keeping Yuri and letting home go.  Jett wasn’t Jett until his senior year for the most part.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

@NH:  I would agree that Yuri is miles ahead of all those guys with the exceptions being Gilyard and Lofton.  At worst, he is equal to both of those two.  And Gilyard doesn’t score much what with Francis, Golden and Burton already there.  

@ACE:  agree Yuri carried us that half.  So it appears he can do it.

@3-star:  agree.  We’ll see what next year brings.

@all:  I’m all in on keeping Yuri and letting home go.  Jett wasn’t Jett until his senior year for the most part.

Who was Jett before his senior year? 😀

billiken_roy likes this