Dayton Gets Another 4-Star

Taj79

25 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Forgive me but how many schollies will we have heading into the offseason? 4? Would be nice to snag McKissic. I assume we'll try and grab a few grad transfers and possibly a traditional transfer? Leave a spot open for a Frosh? I still have 4 years of eligibility left...

we can do better wing/guard wise imo.   ford will only take him imo if all other options are off the table already.  

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Phil Russell will get one of the 3. I was impressed by McKissick. He would be a solid transfer. Fletcher’s a wing and we seem set there right now with Gibby, TJ, Strickland, and the Swede. Of course that’s all subject to change given the shifting sands of college hoops these days. 
A big FR with potential and some patience might be a good addition, but we’re set there at least for the immediate future. Of course, if a gifted FR big were to drop from Heaven jump on it. 

19 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

There are some things that Dayton/Grant and SLU/Ford have going that I think each could stay a while:

1. Both Ford (at Ok St) and Grant (at Alabama) have already "failed" at he Power 5 level.  Much more likely to get a hired as by a Power 5 as a hotshot up & coming coach who might be the next Bill Self or Chris Beard than a guy who has already been fired by a different Power 5 school.  If you actually look at their records, I don't think they faired too poorly at the Power 5 level, but they still have the stain of being fired on them.
  2. Because they've already gotten a taste of Power 5 coaching & gotten fired.  Both may be hesitant to jump for that opportunity again rather than stay in a place that has much higher job security.
  3. SLU & Dayton both have considerable resources to retain them.  They may not be able to match Power 5 schools dollar or dollar, but Ford and Grant are already paid very well.  It is not a situation where either of them would be jumping to get that "set for life" money because they already have that from previous stops & their current pay.
  4. Grant is a Dayton alum, so they have that going for them as well.  Ford seems to really like St. Louis & his alma mater (Kentucky) is not likely to come calling unless he has an insane amount of success at SLU.

have you studied our BoT lately?   you can bet any "matching" of offers will have BoT input.   they have proven they arent necessarily sports program focused imo.   I believe a lot of the detours that we have experienced since father Biondi left can be directly attributed to our "wonderful" BoT.

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

we can do better wing/guard wise imo.   ford will only take him imo if all other options are off the table already.  

B’roy, I thought he played well against us, and isn’t he The Roos leading scorer? He seems to like playing D as well. 

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

I should have said Grant’s recruiting of high ranking FR doesn’t concern me too much next season. I doubt they are one and doners so going forward UD will be a force. Still, getting transfers seems to be a smarter way to go these days. If you can pick up a 3-4 star transfer with 1-2 years in a D1 program that is a big advantage over a 3-4 star FR. The transfer, even if he never got many minutes, has learned what it takes to compete at the D1 level. How important to play D becomes. How important weight room work is. How important playing within the system becomes. How much more intense practices are. How much more time and focus u must put into individual workouts. These lessons learned are invaluable to a coach and his team. They are all things most incoming FR must learn coming off their HS glory days. 

So your issue appears to be that Grant has not yet taken a D-1 transfer in the 2021 class.  Well, at this point in the 2019 recruiting calendar, our class was also filled with freshmen: Yuri, Hargrove, Jimerson, Bell, Diarra.  The only exception was Perkins, who had never played D-1 and was weak defensively. 

Tay Weaver was an extremely late add in July.  If Grant wants to take a transfer in the spring, Dayton still has a scholarship open.

There are teams like Texas Tech that are building their core roster based on transfers but that is the exception.  The vast majority of teams have large foundation classes filled with freshmen, which are later supplemented with transfers.

2 minutes ago, slu72 said:

B’roy, I thought he played well against us, and isn’t he The Roos leading scorer? He seems to like playing D as well. 

the roos have to have someone to score.    their team would be lower echelon of the A10.    he (like russell) reminds me of hines.   i am trying to forget the days of having to play hines.   

4 minutes ago, slu72 said:

He is averaging almost 18 a game to go along with 3 assists. 46% from beyond the arc. He wouldn't hit those numbers in the A10 next year but would be a solid pick up in my humble opinion.  I also believe that a lot of these STL kids crank it up to 11 when they're playing for their hometown team. I'd love McKissic's energy on this team.

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

the roos have to have someone to score.    their team would be lower echelon of the A10.    he (like russell) reminds me of hines.   i am trying to forget the days of having to play hines.   

Hines averaged 6 ppg in juco.  McKissick is averaging 18 ppg in D-1 on 53% shooting and is an all-conference defensive player.  He'll be one of the more sought after guards on the market if he chooses to transfer.  C'mon, Roy.

RUBillsFan likes this

23 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Hines averaged 6 ppg in juco.  McKissick is averaging 18 ppg in D-1 on 53% shooting and is an all-conference defensive player.  He'll be one of the more sought after guards on the market if he chooses to transfer.  C'mon, Roy.

Yes, experienced, productive guards like this get plenty of interest from P5 programs. If Aaron Cook can go from a crappy Methdale squad to in the rotation for the No. 1 team in the country, McKissic will have a lot of good options. He would be a good addition for us.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

There are some things that Dayton/Grant and SLU/Ford have going that I think each could stay a while:

1. Both Ford (at Ok St) and Grant (at Alabama) have already "failed" at he Power 5 level.  Much more likely to get a hired as by a Power 5 as a hotshot up & coming coach who might be the next Bill Self or Chris Beard than a guy who has already been fired by a different Power 5 school.  If you actually look at their records, I don't think they faired too poorly at the Power 5 level, but they still have the stain of being fired on them.
  2. Because they've already gotten a taste of Power 5 coaching & gotten fired.  Both may be hesitant to jump for that opportunity again rather than stay in a place that has much higher job security.
  3. SLU & Dayton both have considerable resources to retain them.  They may not be able to match Power 5 schools dollar or dollar, but Ford and Grant are already paid very well.  It is not a situation where either of them would be jumping to get that "set for life" money because they already have that from previous stops & their current pay.
  4. Grant is a Dayton alum, so they have that going for them as well.  Ford seems to really like St. Louis & his alma mater (Kentucky) is not likely to come calling unless he has an insane amount of success at SLU.

I have made points one and two before, so of course I'm going to agree. Good post!

44 minutes ago, slu72 said:

One of the reasons he may be getting minutes is to prove he deserves one. So far, in my humble opinion, the jury’s still out. 

Well obviously his minutes the last two games were driven by Collins being out. When Collins is back, and playing more or less at top strength, we will see how his minutes change.  I like Russell.  To me he may be trying too hard.  I have seen him over commit on defense and get burned in the process.  And it seems that when his sub is at the scorer's table, he will chuck up a three, be it a good shot or a bad shot.

I don't believe a high quality point guard would want to come to SLU next season and sit behind Collins, watching him play 30 mpg.  A combo guard, perhaps, but not a true point.  I think Russell has a spot moving forward.  Does Coach give him a schollie, that is up to Coach and Russell.

1 hour ago, BilliesBy40 said:

ha.  with a name like Malachi, who would think there would be two and both play college basketball at the same time.   

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

McKissick is a nice Summit Conference player, but he isn't even the best player on his middle of the pack Summit Conference team.

I get what you are saying, but results are results.  He has shown a touch for scoring and good all around play.  His numbers in the Summit are still valuable data to use even if it is coming from a lower level conference.

You could have argued that Perkins hadn't proved anything by what he did in JUCO, just look at the competition he was going against, but that's not the point.  He was doing it.  He was showing that he could, that he understood what it took to get the ball in the hoop.  Not saying that McKissick will be the next Perkins, but sometimes a guy goes and plays against lesser talent and figures out his game and doing so make him better overall.

I'd be happy to get McKissick for next season.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Well obviously his minutes the last two games were driven by Collins being out. When Collins is back, and playing more or less at top strength, we will see how his minutes change.  I like Russell.  To me he may be trying too hard.  I have seen him over commit on defense and get burned in the process.  And it seems that when his sub is at the scorer's table, he will chuck up a three, be it a good shot or a bad shot.

I don't believe a high quality point guard would want to come to SLU next season and sit behind Collins, watching him play 30 mpg.  A combo guard, perhaps, but not a true point.  I think Russell has a spot moving forward.  Does Coach give him a schollie, that is up to Coach and Russell.

Who is trying too hard?  Russell or Yuri?  I say both. 

If a high quality PG comes to SLU, he plays. End of story. 

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

The kid from West is having a hell of a season for the Mocs.

he was a leader.   liddell's wing man for the first state championship.   kid was tough.   but i think he is at the right level for his athleticism.  he is a decent enough athlete, but maybe a step slow for the A10 and above.   

brianstl likes this