Yuri

Billboy1

7 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I think the positive aspect is that he did come back in the game and looked decent. He was walking very gingerly to the locker room after the game. Felt more like Ford thought we could win without him so no need to push it. 

It would be nice to give him a rest against Fordham, as well, along with Jacobs and anyone else who might be banged up (Goodwin, Hargrove, Perkins). I'm not saying we should sit all of them, just limit their minutes and give guys a chance to heal up before some tougher games down the stretch.

billiken_roy likes this

21 minutes ago, Billboy1 said:

Sounds like a good idea but can't overlook Fordham.

I'm not suggesting that. Just that we beat a better team than Fordham with Collins on the bench and Jacobs mostly out or limited, and if things are going well against Fordham, give the healthier guys more run in this game.

The goal for a 300+ NET team like Fordham is to win by 10. We can do that and still give some guys more rest than usual. We need them healthy for the rest of the season. I don't want to see Goodwin aggravate his shoulder up 18 on Fordham.

CBFan likes this

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I'm not suggesting that. Just that we beat a better team than Fordham with Collins on the bench and Jacobs mostly out or limited, and if things are going well against Fordham, give the healthier guys more run in this game.

The goal for a 300+ NET team like Fordham is to win by 10. We can do that and still give some guys more rest than usual. We need them healthy for the rest of the season. I don't want to see Goodwin aggravate his shoulder up 18 on Fordham.

Sorry, but I must have missed and announcement on Jacobs being limited.  ???

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

He hurt his ankle.  Had ice on it and elevated during the second half of the game. 

I watched him walk off the floor at the end of the game. Pretty good limp. Just guessing but I would be surprised if he played Sat. Hopefully we won’t need him. 

35 minutes ago, bauman said:

Sorry, but I must have missed and announcement on Jacobs being limited.  ???

Jacobs injured foot or  ankle in Bonnies game. He played a little bit in RI, but was not very effective, seemed like he did not move that well, and perhaps hesitant,. Did not play in the second half at all.

I would be fine sitting Collins vs. Fordham, going with Goodwin-Thatch-Perkins-Jimerson-French as the starters, giving Goodwin and Perkins as much rest in the second half as possible, and keeping Jacobs on the bench. We beat URI by 10+ without those late spread-busting 3-pointers, and there's no reason we can't beat Fordham a lot worse with these roster limitations. We have La Salle again next week, and then road games at Dayton and VCU before a home tilt with Richmond. No need to delay recovery or jeopardize injury against Fordham.

Back when we were on top of the world we were half joking that our second five could beat most teams in the A-10.

Well, we certainly can play a game against FORDHAM without Yuri and Jacobs and still feel very comfortable that we will win. I'd rest both and probably wouldn't even bring them on the trip if I thought they'd heal better sitting on their couches at home. 

7 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Back when we were on top of the world we were half joking that our second five could beat most teams in the A-10.

Well, we certainly can play a game against FORDHAM without Yuri and Jacobs and still feel very comfortable that we will win. I'd rest both and probably wouldn't even bring them on the trip if I thought they'd heal better sitting on their couches at home. 

Yep. We looked fine last night  without Yuri.

If Yuri and Jacobs don't play, that's all the more reason to consider playing two bigs (HF, ML, JB) more often. I don't recall a combo of those two being on the floor at the same time last night. This is not a knock on Ford, who I respect as a better than average x's and o's coach, I would just be curious on his thought process on why we don't show this look, considering Bell and Has played together quite a bit last year. And this year, we add a really solid 3rd big with Linnsen, so foul trouble is not as much of a concern. I just think it's a potential advantage we're not using. I think it would free up Has to go against smaller opponents.

I thought Russell held his own in small doses and we're going to need him to give us more minutes. Also, an opportunity for Fred to take on a bigger role.

As for Jacobs, the announcers said prior to the game that he was nicked up. No mention of where the nick was. JGood did seem to be paying attention to his shoulder last night. When he knelt down at the end of the first half I think he was just gassed. Playing the point and hustling for boards and steals will do that to anyone. I hope he's ok. Russell is still a work in progress. If push came to shove against Fordham, I'd like to think we can take them with a 8 man rotation of Fred, Russell, TJ, Perkins, French, Jimerson, Bell and Linssen. That's assuming JGood has a shoulder issue. Problem would be at the point. Some on here have said Russell's not really a PG just a small 2. But he does seem to have good handles. 

Just now, slu72 said:

As for Jacobs, the announcers said prior to the game that he was nicked up. No mention of where the nick was. JGood did seem to be paying attention to his shoulder last night. When he knelt down at the end of the first half I think he was just gassed. Playing the point and hustling for boards and steals will do that to anyone. I hope he's ok. Russell is still a work in progress. If push came to shove against Fordham, I'd like to think we can take them with a 8 man rotation of Fred, Russell, TJ, Perkins, French, Jimerson, Bell and Linssen. That's assuming JGood has a shoulder issue. Problem would be at the point. Some on here have said Russell's not really a PG just a small 2. But he does seem to have good handles. 

I may be wrong but I think Has and Linssen played together for awhile against Lasalle. 

Sit the injured guards and play Russell, Hargrove, and Thatch more.  I would like to see Strickland in.

The bench is deep with players, play them this is why a deep bench is important.

Russell had 1 assist and 1 steal and no turnovers and is probably a better player than the Fordham point guard.

3 minutes ago, ACE said:

Fordham is obviously bad, but considering we've only played two road games and lost both, I'm nervous as hell about every road game until we actually win one.

I am not nervous at all about Fordham.  The only thing that gets me nervous is trying to rest players, and experimenting against Fordham.