Continue to Slip

Billboy1

6 minutes ago, Billboy1 said:

Guess if you win you slip in poll. St. B ahead of SLU.

We're currently not in any position to really care about the Poll. Need to put together a few wins before I even look at the poll.  Also, the Bonnies had more votes than us before that game too. 

almaman and CBFan like this

3 minutes ago, Billboy1 said:

So they lose to us and get more votes

You've must of looked at last weeks Ap poll. The one that dropped minutes ago has Slu with the most votes in the A10, followed by VCU.  Overall the loss to Lasalle dropped a lot of votes for us. 

Come on, people. Link to what you're referring to.

Others receiving votes: Colorado 41, San Diego State 38, Xavier 37, UCLA 35, Florida 29, Louisville 28, Belmont 25, Kansas 18, Drake 16, Minnesota 12, North Carolina 8, St. John's 7, Toledo 6, Clemson 6, Boise State 3, Arkansas 3, Saint Louis 2, VCU 1, BYU 1, UAB 1 - I'm also not seeing Bonaventure.

In an alternate universe, SLU is in the Valley. One season we start 18-0 and this board is losing its collective mind over the disrespect of being unranked until we notch the 18th win. Then we inexplicably get blown out by a team we just handled and go unranked the rest of the year, we get a tough draw in the NCAAT, and don't make it out of the first weekend.

I have a lot more respect for non-power conference teams that take care of everyone on their schedule than power conference teams that underperform and coast on reputation and SOS points.

I'm guessing Drake would've liked more and tougher non-conference games. They probably thought a season opening 10-point win over K-State would count for more. They probably thought burying a handful of Summit and MWC teams would count for more. They've only had a few close games this season.

I also want to underline that the format the Valley (and Summit, and a few other leagues) are doing with back-to-back conference games is really difficult. You might be playing back-to-back games in the most difficult road gym to play in. You might have been pretty well scouted by a team on night one and instead of escaping with a close win and facing them later in the year, you now have to deal with them the very next day. It's an unusual way to play, it's challenging, and it opens you up to more variability. It's not favorable to the top teams in your league.

And yet, there's Loyola in the top 25 this week and Drake just lost its perfect season. Those are good teams that deserve some respect.

If this was high school, the MVC would be Class 2.  It's one thing to have a couple of losses in Class 4 or 5 but another thing to lose to a bottom feeder in Class 2. Loyola at least showed they could hang with tournament-caliber teams in nonconference. 

The pollsters were looking for the first sign of weakness to kick them out of the club and Drake gave it to them.  They will have to do a lot of work to erase the memory of that loss just like we'll have to do after losing to La Salle.  But at least we can point to the COVID pause.  Drake has no excuse.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

In an alternate universe, SLU is in the Valley. One season we start 18-0 and this board is losing its collective mind over the disrespect of being unranked until we notch the 18th win. Then we inexplicably get blown out by a team we just handled and go unranked the rest of the year, we get a tough draw in the NCAAT, and don't make it out of the first weekend.

I have a lot more respect for non-power conference teams that take care of everyone on their schedule than power conference teams that underperform and coast on reputation and SOS points.

I'm guessing Drake would've liked more and tougher non-conference games. They probably thought a season opening 10-point win over K-State would count for more. They probably thought burying a handful of Summit and MWC teams would count for more. They've only had a few close games this season.

I also want to underline that the format the Valley (and Summit, and a few other leagues) are doing with back-to-back conference games is really difficult. You might be playing back-to-back games in the most difficult road gym to play in. You might have been pretty well scouted by a team on night one and instead of escaping with a close win and facing them later in the year, you now have to deal with them the very next day. It's an unusual way to play, it's challenging, and it opens you up to more variability. It's not favorable to the top teams in your league.

And yet, there's Loyola in the top 25 this week and Drake just lost its perfect season. Those are good teams that deserve some respect.

-yep and especially for me that ^ part, the objective is to win games 

Polls are immaterial now.  Just win bay-bee and we'll be fine.  As a matter of fact, we need to just win and forget all the rest.  Bonaventure was a nice result.  Don't get too hung up on it because its over and means nothing going forward right now.

Dont the pain that will trickle down to midmajors like the billikens because so many blue bloods are down.   The committee wont let them out.

22 hours ago, Pistol said:

It'd be great to see the MVC get two bids in the post-Creighton/Wichita State era. This year is shaping up to be its best chance yet. Maybe even better than 2017 when Illinois State (27-6) got snubbed. 

Hopefully Drake and Loyola both get to the MVC championship game and get some extra credit for the brutal schedule structure. 

24 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

Loyola doesn't have a quality win... nothing that even sniffs lsu or nc state... Would love to draw them in the tournament

NC State is a Q3 win for us.  Loyola has 4 Q3 wins and today is NET #13.  St. Bonnie continues as our highest quality NET win, better than LSU.

NET Team Sheet Loyola

0-1 Q1

3-2 Q2

4-0 Q3

8-0 Q4

NET Team Sheet Billikens

0-1 Q1

2-0 Q2

2-2 Q3

4-0 Q4

wgstl likes this