GDT: What the heck is a "Bonnie" anyway???

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

Guy sitting behind me was absolutely lambasting a ref named Mark.  Guess  everyone in the gym could hear him...

BTW, Linssen  was superb, but Bell also did well in the short time he played.  Nice to have three options in the post.

Crowd was as loud as 500 or so could be....

Please buy that gentleman a beer for me next game if he gets another call out from the PA

6 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Please buy that gentleman a beer for me next game if he gets another call out from the PA

Your comment got me to thinking. Will the same people get tickets to the next game or will they move down the list? I know they are going by the point system. Does anyone know how they are doing the men's tickets. I've seen two women's games but I know that's a different situation.

59 minutes ago, CBFan said:

With the frigid cold weather coming the wife and I had to get the place at Lake of the Ozarks prepared for the frigid cold the next 2 weeks so we had to listen on the KMOX app.

We got to listen to the entire second half coming home and what a wonderful hour and a half of Billiken Basketball.

Beating the bonnies by any means is a great victory because you beat the best coach in the A10.  Our down team pulled a rabbit out of their hat and beat the leading team in the A10.

From what I read in the GDT and heard on the radio app our team is far from being what they were before COVID so they will only improve.

Bring on RI and keep the party going.

Rammer  n  Earl  can keep you awake when driving close to 3 hours  with that app 

Bonaventure has seven wins in A10 play.  Short of beating Richmond on the road, their most impressive outing was the second half shutdown of VCU in Olean.  They have lost to us and URI.  They beat St. Joes, Fordham, Mason and Duquesne twice.  All I'm saying is that they were not as great a 7 and 1 team as some have suggested.  There is no LSU on their schedule.  No NCState.  No Minnesota.  They are a tough out for us no matter but look at it in its total perspective.  We needed this not because we are better (which we are by a long shot) but because we need our pre-COVID sea legs back.  Yes, we got some of that today.

We shut Osunniyi down.  He was sapped by the onslaught of French, Linssen and Bell.  Linssen especially.  We don't win that game without Martin.  Adaway had his usual nice, quiet game of double digits.  But he didn't hurt us when it counted.  Holmes  (formerly the player known as Jaren English) is not as good as his 38 point performance showed.  That was against St. Joes who basically plays matador defense.  Three fouls and little to show offensively.  I have said all along Welch is limited and just a three point jump shooter.  Three of three from deep; 0 of five elsewhere.  Lofton continued his failures from three missing both.  For once a point guard did not have a field day against us.  Their bench was non-existent as always .... four points in 20 minutes.  This game went as it should have went.

But not without perplexing weirdness on our side.  French .... shut out and foul prone.  Goodwin nowhere near a double-double and on the bench at crucial moments.  I forget what someone admonished me with with his halftime numbers but they stayed stagnant in the second half.  The second half was Collins driving, Perkins and Jacobs shooting, and Linssen defending.  Whne the ball is in French's or Goodwin's hands, they tend to hold it long.  This plays right into the defense's hands because we are best flying around and moving the ball.  We ran away from the Bonnies with that movement and yes, French was a part of it for a while.  A much needed win to say the least.

We now have a decent chance to recover well by this time next week.  We have URI at home on Wednesday.  They are as physical as we are but we have better skill players.  Should be a win to move us to 9 and 3.  Then on to Fordham.  Can't rest but that should move us to 10 and 3.  Then back for a revenge match with La Salle.  11 and 3.  That should have us rounded into regular shape for tough matches at Dayton and VCU.  Then close with Richmond and mason which should be wins at Chaifetz.  That's 13 and 3 pending the two road matches and whatever the A10 reschedules for us if any.  

I like Linssen and Jacobs and what they bring to the table.  Thatch also brings energy.  Not saying start them, but look to them fo rmor ehelp going forward.

And Free TJ Hargrove.

CBFan and GoBills73 like this

34 minutes ago, almaman said:

Rammer  n  Earl  can keep you awake when driving close to 3 hours  with that app 

Yes they do and they draw a perfect picture of what is going on during the game.

We have been making that drive for over 20 years and it just part of our life routine and it does not seem to be that long.

It was a tough choice stay home for Billikens basketball and risk frozen water pipes and dock damage because I needed to install the dock de-icer or go to the lake and not be stressed out about it.

What a game today I am still buzzing over the big win.

I just finished watching Indiana State beating UNI.  Indiana State is 11-7 and 8-5 in the MVC.  Keep winning Indiana State.

Found it:  dlarry asked me if i would sit the Goodwin who had 9 points, 5 rebounds, 1 assist and 2 steals at half while shooting 50%.  Goodwin finished with 9 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 steals while shooting 50% for the game.  So we got 1 rebound and 1 assist from Jordan the whole second half.  Wow.  Just WOW!

I think that speaks volumes to Goodwin's being affected by the virus.  He had nothing in the second half.  Just a thought.

dlarry likes this

Just now, billikenfan05 said:

A younger skip did feast on an empty gym(at women’s games). 

I don't remember being too loud at ladies games. When I came with my teams we'd all get loud together. Your voice could carry in West Pine. I remember sitting above Shimmy one game with a bunch of 8-13 year old girls. We had to move as Shimmy was a bit colorful. 

Remember the SIU game that arena was not that full and voices carried. We were up top and I know the refs heard us loud and clear

3 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Found it:  dlarry asked me if i would sit the Goodwin who had 9 points, 5 rebounds, 1 assist and 2 steals at half while shooting 50%.  Goodwin finished with 9 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 steals while shooting 50% for the game.  So we got 1 rebound and 1 assist from Jordan the whole second half.  Wow.  Just WOW!

I think that speaks volumes to Goodwin's being affected by the virus.  He had nothing in the second half.  Just a thought.

With Goodwin and French struggling at the free throw line I do not want them in when the opponent has to foul.  Our team is deep Linssen, Bell, Thatch, Jacobs and Hargrove are better in a free throw contest and are quite capable defending.

In my opinion coach Ford did a better job with the bench today.

Taj79 likes this

4 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

WHERE IS TJ?

I am assuming it’s a COVID-related issue. He may be having trouble getting back in shape or something like that. Hargrove played really well in the last game before shutdown, and we’ve played almost every other player besides him (including Russell) since, so it wouldn’t add up that he’s healthy and not playing.