Goodwin

drkelsey55

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Games like tonight remind all of us why Goodwin is a top 5 Billiken of all time. 17 points, 11 rebounds, 6 assists and 6 steals with some big shots when we needed them. Yes he makes some boneheaded mistakes, but he brings a lot more positives than negatives to the table. 

27 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

Games like tonight remind all of us why Goodwin is a top 5 Billiken of all time. 17 points, 11 rebounds, 6 assists and 6 steals with some big shots when we needed them. Yes he makes some boneheaded mistakes, but he brings a lot more positives than negatives to the table. 

The team had 4 total turnovers. Imagine saying that his freshmen year?

Littlebill likes this

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

The team had 4 total turnovers. Imagine saying that his freshmen year?

(Blue font) This feels like an unprovoked direct shot at Aaron Hines.🤣. (No disrespect to Aaron Hines, he actually played pretty well for the situation he was put in.)

It looked to me that Goodwin was a little banged up last night. Several times he was rotating his right shoulder with a minor grimace, and other times he remained bent over at the waist for several seconds after a play.  It's crunch time and Mr. Goodwin will indeed continue to give it his all for TeamBlue.

The box score lists Goodwin as having 0 turnovers.  Bob Wenzel made an interesting note last night on Goodwin's offensive boards.  He said opposing point guards are not used to covering as big a point as Goodwin and most never expect that point to crash the boards as Goodwin does.  Fatts couldn't stay with Goodwin because of his injury, that was obvious.  And I can recall at least two of Goodwin's three O boards coming in the first half.  The four total turnovers are not surprising ---- given what Durando reported on us wanting to stop them from running, coupled with Yuri being down and out, and with Goodwin as our primary point, we didn't run into any turnovers by frantic commission.  

Still, that was a bad Rhode Island team considering how good they have been over the last few years with Terrell, Mathews, Dowtin, Langevine and the rest.  Russell was obviously hurt but he really hasn't been good all this year.  As I noted in the Wiz's prediction thread, I think Fatts is much better as a sixth man, a supporting cast member.  He is not accustomed to being the man and go-to guy.  He'll have his days but not likely this year.  You still can;t be the team he eventually "finds" himself against.  You don't want him being Marcus Bartley in Brooklyn a few years ago when you play him again.

9 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

The four total turnovers are not surprising ---- given what Durando reported on us wanting to stop them from running, coupled with Yuri being down and out, and with Goodwin as our primary point, we didn't run into any turnovers by frantic commission.  

I actually think four total turnovers IS surprising, in that it’s the fewest we’ve ever had in a game with Ford as head coach and our previously low this season was 9. The low last season was 7.

Taking care of the ball was the biggest reason we won last nights game, IMO. Managing turnovers will perhaps be the biggest key to the rest of the season.

-JGood winced after contact under the basket with just under 8 minutes gone in the first half and he was moving the arm around the rest of the game, I would not be surprised to see him in a harness on Saturday

-we have to have last night's version of JGood

32 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

-it shouldn't need to be done if those that vote for A-A have a brain, but good for SLU -- JGood only enhancing worthiness with his recent play at pg

-I guess SLU would bombard All-America voters on social media? I guess this could be done, or how else?

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-it shouldn't need to be done if those that vote for A-A have a brain, but good for SLU -- JGood only enhancing worthiness with his recent play at pg

-I guess SLU would bombard All-America voters on social media? I guess this could be done, or how else?

I am sure the draft-niks have noticed or will notice JGoods PG play.

3 years ago, I never thought I would eventually call JGood my favorite Bill of all time. I've never liked the style he plays. In fact I disliked players who play like him. Ugly, tough, physical.  I've always tended to lean to pg's with a pretty game, but I've never seen a player who just gives you every ounce of himself like JGood does. Yuri goes down and JGood has a 19/3 assist to t/o ratio like he's been the pg all season long. It's amazing, but somehow I'm not surprised. 

He literally just does it all.