Goodwin

drkelsey55

First of all, excellent observations by Dr. Kelsey 

Second, I will not post in the game thread the day after the game in that all of us are Billiken fans and emotions get to the best of us but I ask the simple question: does coach Ford get any credit when good things happen or only blame when bad things happen?  We did win a huge, must win game yesterday after sitting out with COVID for so long  

Third, whether Doc is correct or not about a heart to heart conversation, the facts are the facts. Goodwin and French both sat for a long period of time when the game was on the line in the second half and others were given the opportunity to step up.
Fourth, if our Billikens needed time to get the rust knocked off after sitting for a month while UD and LaSalle kept practicing/playing, improved, came together and were playing in midseason form, why is Coach Ford a bad coach for sticking with his Seniors who have carried this team now for a long time? Sounds more like a discussion about how long you stick with your horses.  LaSalle game was brutal. But this game, Goodwin came out and had a great first half and carried our team again. Perkins did not but most likely we lose yesterday’s game without the play of Perkins in the second half with whom Coach Ford was patient as well as with French and Goodwin whom Coach Ford was not. 
Fifth, does Coach Ford deserve any credit for having a halftime talk with Goodwin which changed his behavior and for changing his lineups in the second half?  Seems to me Ford’s second half decisions worked  

Sixth, the momentum was all St. Bonaventure at the end of the first half and yet we made changes i. The second half and won by a comfortable margin without French and Goodwin leading the way. Is this proof that coach Ford was outcoached again yesterday?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Mr Goodwin also scored 40% of our initial points. Without his fire coming at the tip we don’t open up our big lead. 

Early on he posted up his defender and scored on short jumpers. The Bonnies played a lot of zone taking this away. 

2 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

First of all, excellent observations by Dr. Kelsey 

Second, I will not post in the game thread the day after the game in that all of us are Billiken fans and emotions get to the best of us but I ask the simple question: does coach Ford get any credit when good things happen or only blame when bad things happen?  We did win a huge, must win game yesterday after sitting out with COVID for so long  

Third, whether Doc is correct or not about a heart to heart conversation, the facts are the facts. Goodwin and French both sat for a long period of time when the game was on the line in the second half and others were given the opportunity to step up.
Fourth, if our Billikens needed time to get the rust knocked off after sitting for a month while UD and LaSalle kept practicing/playing, improved, came together and were playing in midseason form, why is Coach Ford a bad coach for sticking with his Seniors who have carried this team now for a long time? Sounds more like a discussion about how long you stick with your horses.  LaSalle game was brutal. But this game, Goodwin came out and had a great first half and carried our team again. Perkins did not but most likely we lose yesterday’s game without the play of Perkins in the second half with whom Coach Ford was patient as well as with French and Goodwin whom Coach Ford was not. 
Fifth, does Coach Ford deserve any credit for having a halftime talk with Goodwin which changed his behavior and for changing his lineups in the second half?  Seems to me Ford’s second half decisions worked  

Sixth, the momentum was all St. Bonaventure at the end of the first half and yet we made changes i. The second half and won by a comfortable margin without French and Goodwin leading the way. Is this proof that coach Ford was outcoached again yesterday?

Just FYI: @drkelsey55 is DRKelsey, not "Dr. Kelsey."  His initials are DRK.

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

What kills me is that my post provoked a "troll" reaction.  It's only what he himself told us on this board years ago, @BIG BILL FAN!

You are correct. Once again I am David R.(middle initial) Kelsey

1 hour ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Sorry your feelings were hurt, you’re the classic loser who can dish it out but can’t take it... 

My feelings weren't hurt; I just thought it was a strange response to such an innocuous post.  It suggests you just hate me just to hate me.

What, exactly, have I been "dishing"?  And how am I a loser?  Is it because what you presume to be my political ideology differs from yours?  You don't know me nearly as well as you think.

Like a QB, Ford gets too much blame when losing.  Unlike a QB, he gets no applause when winning.  I think Schmidt had his and our number for a while late first half early second.  Hoosier Pal gave us a fine scouting report on the Bonnies and I seconded every inch of it.  If teams are scouting us and know its 'Hac-A-Has' coming down the stretch, I believe we've got to know that teams like the Bonnies are offensively challenged, extremely bench weak, and want to engage in a slow down game to neutralize our athleticism.  I think Coach was searching for the right combo to combat that and finally found it when French picked up his third foul and went to the bench with Goodwin.

Crisp ball movement is the best bet to outmaneuvering a zone.  That and an entry pass into the middle of the 2/3 or 3/2 to make it collapse and gets you open jumpers from your wings.  I think our best player for that middle area is Perkins; he can shoot it or pass it.  I think our second best player for that role is Goodwin, provided he passes it more times than not.  French became effective in the second half down low when he went to passing more than looking for a shot.  Osunniyi will do that to you.  Double teams will stop coming at you if you do that quickly.  The problem I see is that there appears to be some indecision in both Goodwin and French to give up the ball.  Not in any selfish way, just thinking a little too much before executing.  Even when Collins is out of the game and Goodwin assumes the ball handling role, he will walk it up more times than not.  Again, he's not a true point guard.  The half-assed zone press Schmidt threw at us was not designed to steal the ball, rather it was designed to occupy the first ten seconds of our offense, force us into a half court game, and slow everything down.  Holding the ball plays into that defense quite well.  But not to rag on Goodwin, Jacobs too is not a true point either.  He walks it up as well.   There isn't a team in the A10 with half our bench, it's a shame COVID took some of our athletic advantage away.  At this point, the only team with a roster deep enough to possibly challenge us there is Umass.  And likely VCU (although they just lost Jimmy Clark who left the team for personal reasons).   

Some teams have eschewed defense for the most part in the A10.  Umass, VCU and Rhode Island all want to run because it frees up their offense more and makes them better.  With Mitchell, Umass can slow it down and go toe-to-toe in a half court game.  The other two don't have the multiple shooters to match that toe-to-toe stance.  Dayton, Duquesne, the Bonnies, Fordham, St. Joe's, Geedubya, Davidson and mason all go five or sic deep.  La Salle's multiple players are interchangeable ... just not that good (although they beat us).  If we impose our will and get out bench and athleticism involved, there really isn't a team in the A10 that can stay with us.

I would think the good scouts on our bench know all this.

TheA_Bomb likes this

skip:  agree.  What dumbfounds me is how Schmidt seems to do more with absolutely less.  And his sideline antics re a big 'no thank you' for me.  Yet, the guy is the winningest coach in an outpost known as Siberia.

billiken_roy likes this

12 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

The entire board would be going nuts wanting to fire Schmidt if he had 2 NCAA tourneys in 13 years here.  Ford > Schmidt by a considerable margin

True, tho very likely they'll make it this year and next. 

Its got to be near impossible to get kids to olean NY

23 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

The entire board would be going nuts wanting to fire Schmidt if he had 2 NCAA tourneys in 13 years here.  Ford > Schmidt by a considerable margin

Apples and oranges.  Schmidt is their Spoonhour.  Prior to him, the Bonnie's had 1 appearance in 31 years.  He is the best at what he does, winning without a full roster.  We've got an $80 million arena and a strong recruiting base a short drive away from a campus.  We require a different kind of coach.

7 minutes ago, wgstl said:

True, tho very likely they'll make it this year and next. 

Its got to be near impossible to get kids to olean NY

I'm sure it's not easy but there is also a lot of basketball around to recruit from within 5-6 hours. Buffalo is under 2 hours away, Cleveland about 3, Pittsburgh a little over 3. 

People go to Columbia Mo, Iowa and Iowa State, Lubbock Tx, Stillwater Ok, etc ... There are a lot of out of the way college towns and people still go. 

3 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Apples and oranges.  Schmidt is their Spoonhour.  Prior to him, the Bonnie's had 1 appearance in 31 years.  He is the best at what he does, winning without a full roster.  We've got an $80 million arena and a strong recruiting base a short drive away from a campus.  We require a different kind of coach.

I don't disagree, he's a good coach. I just get tired of hearing Ford get constantly criticized here and guys like him praised like he's the 2nd coming. 

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

I don't disagree, he's a good coach. I just get tired of hearing Ford get constantly criticized here and guys like him praised like he's the 2nd coming. 

Our coach has more exposure to our fans than coach Schmidt and it is all about higher expectations for our coach.

My criticism of coach Ford is about how he used his bench with the 2 conference losses however I would never ever trade Coach Ford for coach Schmidt even though I like coach Schmidt.

Coach Ford’s enthusiasm is intoxicating, he gets great recruits, I am sure the players love him, produced 2 20 win seasons back to back seasons, 4 straight winning seasons counting this season.

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

Our coach has more exposure to our fans than coach Schmidt and it is all about higher expectations for our coach.

My criticism of coach Ford is about how he used his bench with the 2 conference losses however I would never ever trade Coach Ford for coach Schmidt even though I like coach Schmidt.

Coach Ford’s enthusiasm is intoxicating, he gets great recruits, I am sure the players love him, produced 2 20 win seasons back to back seasons, 4 straight winning seasons counting this season.

My problem with some of the criticism ( not everyone ) is the assumption that what you're saying he should have done would actually have been better. Much easier to say he should have done this or that when you just assume it would have gotten better results. 

3star_recruit likes this

20 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

My problem with some of the criticism ( not everyone ) is the assumption that what you're saying he should have done would actually have been better. Much easier to say he should have done this or that when you just assume it would have gotten better results. 

Exactly.  Change 2 or 3 bad plays to good and it would be another gutsy win with only real ? being where's Hargrove?

Schmidt's roster of 13 guys shows 3 guys from NY ---- Buffalo, Queens and Rochester.  Of those 3, only Dom Welch (Buffalo) plays any significant minutes.  Lorton and Osunniyi we're prep school teammates in New Jersey.  Most of Schmidt's recruits seem to be transfers (Adaway, Poser, Mosley, etc.).  He seems to get one or two guys and then tries to maximize his limited roster into his style to make it work.  That was Charlie Spoonhourer all over.  It's not a bad concept ---- fit what you've got into what you know.

Next year, Bonnie fans will be raving as their suspect roster returns everyone.  That's the same five limited guys as this year with no one being developed on the bench.  None of the recruits rate over 2 stars and the only 3 star on the roster is Welch.  So it will be the same old same old in Olean next year.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Schmidt's roster of 13 guys shows 3 guys from NY ---- Buffalo, Queens and Rochester.  Of those 3, only Dom Welch (Buffalo) plays any significant minutes.  Lorton and Osunniyi we're prep school teammates in New Jersey.  Most of Schmidt's recruits seem to be transfers (Adaway, Poser, Mosley, etc.).  He seems to get one or two guys and then tries to maximize his limited roster into his style to make it work.  That was Charlie Spoonhourer all over.  It's not a bad concept ---- fit what you've got into what you know.

Next year, Bonnie fans will be raving as their suspect roster returns everyone.  That's the same five limited guys as this year with no one being developed on the bench.  None of the recruits rate over 2 stars and the only 3 star on the roster is Welch.  So it will be the same old same old in Olean next year.

-if they all return, and if they do, they have a year of experience, can't teach that, there is value to that experience