Goodwin

drkelsey55

Leads the team in turnovers. 33 so for this year. Goes with his 33 assists.

Needs a break during games to maintain his concentration.

Tends to turn it over at the worst times.

Jimmie Bell makes a basket and gets subbed out????

Thoughts. 

JMO 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, drkelsey55 said:

Leads the team in turnovers. 33 so for this year. Goes with his 33 assists.

Needs a break during games to maintain his concentration.

Tends to turn it over at the worst times.

Jimmie Bell makes a basket and gets subbed out????

Thoughts. 

JMO 

The guy with the ball always in his hands has the most turnovers?

You didn't express an opinion

42 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I'll say this about the whole team on offense; When Yurimania has only 2 assists something ain't right. 

Agree.

I noticed he only had 21 minutes against La Salle after playing 33 against Dayton.

I wonder if the Dayton games drained them more than we have thought. 
Is it possible they played to much and that sapped their energy a week later?

I know going all out after a months of vacation can take a toll on the body. I’m betting they were more tired in game 2 than they were in game 1.

4 hours ago, Littlebill said:

Team leader in turnovers:

VCU: Hyland

Richmond: Golden

Bonnies: Kyle Lofton

Notice a trend?

Best post of 2021 so far short on point well said.

Go Bills

Littlebill likes this

Goodwin went to the bench at 9:17 left in the game yesterday and got to watch the rest of the team

play better without him on the floor. I think it opened his eyes to the fact that he doesn't have to do

everything for this team to win. He returned with 2 minutes left in the game and let the team play as a team.

JMO

1 hour ago, drkelsey55 said:

Goodwin went to the bench at 9:17 left in the game yesterday and got to watch the rest of the team

play better without him on the floor. I think it opened his eyes to the fact that he doesn't have to do

everything for this team to win. He returned with 2 minutes left in the game and let the team play as a team.

JMO

Did this really happen? I thought he was on the court the last 10 min.

1 minute ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I noticed that there was a significant time when neither Goodwin nor French was on the court in the second half.  The box score says 32 minutes for Goodwin (Collins [33] and Perkins [36] played more) and just 16 for French.

11 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Watched the replay. Not only did he not re-enter until two min left but he

Barely touched the ball in that time.

For those watching the game, there were two instances where Goodwin fell/collided to/with the ground and was slow getting up.  He may have been hampered some by those meetings with the floor.  Don't know for sure, but Goodwin is the motor that makes the Bills run.  He does way more than what appears in the stat line.

He was indeed out for a big stretch of time where we took the lead and extended it.  What I noticed most,  though, was the fact he was on his feet waving a towel shouting instructions and encouragement the entirety of him being out.  We all know already,  but kid is an elite leader!  

8 minutes ago, crymdg2 said:

He was indeed out for a big stretch of time where we took the lead and extended it.  What I noticed most,  though, was the fact he was on his feet waving a towel shouting instructions and encouragement the entirety of him being out.  We all know already,  but kid is an elite leader!  

Yes Goodwin is the leader and has put to much on himself.  Watching the deep bench put this one away takes away the pressure from Goodwin feeling he has to do it all.  No surprise to see Goodwin cheering he is just that type of player, team leader and person.

Every time I get frustrated with Goodwin he normally does 5 great things after a bad play like a rebound and put back at a critical time, a steal or a big 3 point shot.

Goodwin is a star but he’s nowhere near a prototypical star. He’s a star like Dennis Rodman or Charles Barkley were stars for their team. Unfortunately he’s doing the things those forwards did at a guards size. It seems like the feedback he got from NBA scouts is they wanna see what he can do with his jumpshot and driving to the hoop. That really doesn’t seem to be in the best interest of the team unfortunately as he’s prone to turning over and taking ill advised shots. I’d love to see him get the ball on the block and try to back down his man, it could open up shots for Perkins, Gibby and Jacobs. 

48 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Goodwin is a star but he’s nowhere near a prototypical star. He’s a star like Dennis Rodman or Charles Barkley were stars for their team. Unfortunately he’s doing the things those forwards did at a guards size. It seems like the feedback he got from NBA scouts is they wanna see what he can do with his jumpshot and driving to the hoop. That really doesn’t seem to be in the best interest of the team unfortunately as he’s prone to turning over and taking ill advised shots. I’d love to see him get the ball on the block and try to back down his man, it could open up shots for Perkins, Gibby and Jacobs. 

Totally agree with this.

He seemed to do that early yesterday. He had 3 quick buckets in the lane and then they abandoned that for some reason. 

3 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Goodwin went to the bench with 9:17 left and came back with 2:37 so he sat a stretch of 6:40. We scored 11 points in that stretch. 2 inside by Linssen, and by Perkins a 3, a midrange jumper, and an inside basket. 

We scored 14 points in 8 min without JGood for 1.75 per minute and 56 in 32 min without JGood for 1.75 per minute. During that stretch in the 2nd half he sat we scored 11 points in 6:40 for 1.65 per minute. 

The idea that JGood sat and our offense immediately perked up is a myth. 

He played about the same minutes this game as he's averaged this year his turnovers were about the same with 3, he had 2 steals, he shot once every 4 minutes. On the season he's averaging 32 mpg a shot every 2:33 with 3 t/o and 2 steals. 

He was 4/8 from the field 0/3 from 3, so 4/5 from 2. The biggest difference in this game and the normal JGood wasn't his taking bad shots, playing hero ball, or turning it over too much. He actually shot less, 80% from 2 on 5 shots. He averages 3 - 3's a game but hit's about 1, yesterday he hit 0 so there's 3 points lost. Make the one and he's at 12 ppg. He averages 10 2 pt shots a game so he shot 5 less. Had he shot the other 5 with 2 makes plus made the 1 3 he's at 16 points. He actually shot 5 less total shots this game. What he didn't do as well is rebound. 

Tonka and billiken_roy like this

1 minute ago, slufanskip said:

Goodwin went to the bench with 9:17 left and came back with 2:37 so he sat a stretch of 6:40. We scored 11 points in that stretch. 2 inside by Linssen, and by Perkins a 3, a midrange jumper, and an inside basket. 

We scored 14 points in 8 min without JGood for 1.75 per minute and 57 in 32 min without JGood for 1.78 per minute. During that stretch in the 2nd half he sat we scored 11 points in 6:40 for 1.65 per minute. 

The idea that JGood sat and our offense immediately perked up is a myth. 

He played about the same minutes this game as he's averaged this year his turnovers were about the same with 3, he had 2 steals, he shot once every 4 minutes. On the season he's averaging 32 mpg a shot every 2:33 with 3 t/o and 2 steals. 

He was 4/8 from the field 0/3 from 3, so 4/5 from 2. The biggest difference in this game and the normal JGood wasn't his taking bad shots, playing hero ball, or turning it over too much. He actually shot less, 80% from 2 on 5 shots. He averages 3 - 3's a game but hit's about 1, yesterday he hit 0 so there's 3 points lost. Make the one and he's at 12 ppg. He averages 10 2 pt shots a game so he shot 5 less. Had he shot the other 5 with 2 makes plus made the 1 3 he's at 16 points. He actually shot 5 less total shots this game. What he didn't do as well is rebound. 

Mr Goodwin also scored 40% of our initial points. Without his fire coming at the tip we don’t open up our big lead. 

There was a change to his post covid approach after half time. Coach had a heart to heart with him in the intermission and he came out and didn't take a shot in the 1st 10 minutes of the 2nd half. He actually went overboard to let Coach know he got the message. Goodwin didn't learn squat on the bench, he was too busy cheering on his mates.  

12 minutes ago, DOC said:

There was a change to his post covid approach after half time. Coach had a heart to heart with him in the intermission and he came out and didn't take a shot in the 1st 10 minutes of the 2nd half. He actually went overboard to let Coach know he got the message. Goodwin didn't learn squat on the bench, he was too busy cheering on his mates.  

I’d like to expand on this and a note on TJ. The guy was awesome to watch on the bench with his energy leading cheers. 

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Goodwin's approach to the game is the same as it was since he was a sophomore in high school.  Dominant rebounder, whose offensive game becomes less potent the further he gets away from the basket.  He will turn the ball over and and take ill advised shots because he's a risk taker.  He committed 3.1 turnovers a game last year.   He's committing 3.3 turnovers a game this year with more possessions per game.  I don't see much difference.

Perkins, Gibby and Jacobs have been getting plenty of open three-point looks all year, even after the COVID pause.   Most of their makes were made yesterday with Goodwin on the floor.  The halfcourt offense will be fine.  We need to build on yesterday's defensive performance and get back to dominating the boards.  When that happens, the easy buckets will return and our Bills will truly be back.