GDT: A-10 revenge tour stop 1 - Explorers

A10Ref

1 minute ago, cgeldmacher said:

If you think about it, 3pt defense is all about speed and quickness in getting to a shooter.  Those are things that COVID might have sapped from our guys.

Was just saying this to someone. So much of our game is reliant on D and the turnovers/bad shots it creates. If we are 2-3-4 steps slow, that is a HUGE game changer.

cgeldmacher and Adman like this

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to believe the per possession compared to average box score  +/- numbers over at T-Rank the only players that had good or decent games last night were Thatch, Jimerson, Bell and Linssen.  The only one of those four who got over 20 minutes was Jimerson.  Linssen didn't get off the bench in the second half.  Everyone else was varying degrees of bad.

Goodwin was the worst player on the court for the Billikens.  Thatch was by far the best followed by Bell.  The worst defensively was Goodwin followed by Collins.  Jimerson and Jacobs were pretty much the same on the bad side defensively, but both were better than Collins and Goodwin. The only two players good defensively last night were Thatch and French.  Russell was our worst offensively followed by French and Goodwin.  Thatch, also, was by far the best player offensively followed by Linssen, Bell and then Jimerson.  Those four were all pretty good contributors offensively according to those metrics.  Every other player was a negative contributor offensively.

SLU_Lax likes this

I'm not sure if he started with the mask or not, but in the second half Goodwin played without it.  There was a shot of him on the lane when he for sure didn't have it on.   I always wonder how a mask effects shooting but he has had it on long enough that it shouldn't be a problem for him.

After taking time to digest last night, here are my thoughts:

1. This situation reminds me of the St. Louis Blues last season.  They were one of the best teams in the NHL and firing on all cylinders before the COVID break.  After the COVID break, they just weren't the same team.  The Blues didn't have a "we were weakened by COVID" excuse.  I think they just lost all of their momentum.  The same thing could be happening with the Bills.

2. I don't think all is lost.  If we come roaring back, I don't think we have to win all of our remaining games to make the tournament.  The Committee will, I believe, look at these past two losses in a lenient light if we return to form.  I also think that some of the national commentators will jump back on the bandwagon if we start playing well again.  The narrative will be that COVID gave us those two bad losses and that they should be, to a certain extent, forgiven.  Now, we just need to go out and win games.

Problem is that it's February 4.  We have 38 days until selection Sunday.   Only 9 games plus tournament to right this ship.  That's without anymore complications for COVID, weather, Godzilla attack etc.

They can turn it around but time keeps on ticking into the future.....

Jimmmerson had a career first in last night game...an entire half without a single field goal attempt but plenty of look offs by team mates.  Bills not utilizing his strength of catch and shoot or coming off screens for 1 or 2 dribble pull ups.  Too much hero ball by other team mates.  Waste of a roster spot don't be surprised if he puts his name in the transfer portal and ends up playing for a home town team next year or before seasons over.

14 minutes ago, ballchinnien said:

Jimmmerson had a career first in last night game...an entire half without a single field goal attempt but plenty of look offs by team mates.  Bills not utilizing his strength of catch and shoot or coming off screens for 1 or 2 dribble pull ups.  Too much hero ball by other team mates.  Waste of a roster spot don't be surprised if he puts his name in the transfer portal and ends up playing for a home town team next year or before seasons over.

10272016-clown.jpg

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Problem is that it's February 4.  We have 38 days until selection Sunday.   Only 9 games plus tournament to right this ship.  That's without anymore complications for COVID, weather, Godzilla attack etc.

They can turn it around but time keeps on ticking into the future.....

That Godzilla vs Kong movie looks pretty crazy. 

20 minutes ago, ballchinnien said:

If you are a family member or friend of his, I really hope he stays 

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

If you want to believe the per possession compared to average box score  +/- numbers over at T-Rank the only players that had good or decent games last night were Thatch, Jimerson, Bell and Linssen.  The only one of those four who got over 20 minutes was Jimerson.  Linssen didn't get off the bench in the second half.  Everyone else was varying degrees of bad.

Goodwin was the worst player on the court for the Billikens.  Thatch was by far the best followed by Bell.  The worst defensively was Goodwin followed by Collins.  Jimerson and Jacobs were pretty much the same on the bad side defensively, but both were better than Collins and Goodwin. The only two players good defensively last night were Thatch and French.  Russell was our worst offensively followed by French and Goodwin.  Thatch, also, was by far the best player offensively followed by Linssen, Bell and then Jimerson.  Those four were all pretty good contributors offensively according to those metrics.  Every other player was a negative contributor offensively.

Agree with just about everything you detail above.  Have to think two of the players who escaped Covid were Thatch and Jacobs.  They, along with Bell and Linssen, are the only four playing at or better than pre-lockdown level.

Also, as several posters have already stated, the most perplexing tactical move in a game of many dubious decisions was the removal of Jacobs at the exact moment he had taken over the game.  Bewildering......

Wouldn’t be surprised if Goodwin or French stay after this botched year. Honestly Bell is performing better than French. Can’t play defense without fouling and a liability on the ft line. No ball handling skills either. Honestly super disappointing. He hasn’t progressed from freshmen year on, no curve just flat. 

I honestly won’t be disappointed seeing them go since it seems like they’ve taken way more playing time than they deserve from hungrier players 

4 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if Goodwin or French stay after this botched year. Honestly Bell is performing better than French. Can’t play defense without fouling and a liability on the ft line. No ball handling skills either. Honestly super disappointing. He hasn’t progressed from freshmen year on, no curve just flat. 

I honestly won’t be disappointed seeing them go since it seems like they’ve taken way more playing time than they deserve from hungrier players 

Its hard to argue that this is not a disappointing year for French.........

This is my 2 cents worth to this discussion. Covid or no Covid, no one goes through 30 days of quarantine without becoming a bit "loopy" and yes, it is mental. Human beings are social beings, athletes are generally not introverts who are totally comfortable being by themselves reading books. Every one in the team also has personal worries that weigh in from relatives being infected to girlfriends they cannot see.

billiken_roy likes this

4 hours ago, Old guy said:

This is my 2 cents worth to this discussion. Covid or no Covid, no one goes through 30 days of quarantine without becoming a bit "loopy" and yes, it is mental. Human beings are social beings, athletes are generally not introverts who are totally comfortable being by themselves reading books. Every one in the team also has personal worries that weigh in from relatives being infected to girlfriends they cannot see.

I spent a week sequestered on a jury for a pretty horrific murder trial.  That was just one week and I was bonkers by the end of it......

billiken_roy likes this

4 hours ago, Old guy said:

Jacobs was playing a lot of NBA 2K while in quarantine, so his shot should be ok.