Jump to content

A10 Tourney Rumblings - Major Changes Announced


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I'm taking the opposite side.  This team is banged up today, and likely won't get totally healthy until the off season.  From my viewpoint, the fewer the games, the more time to heal, and the fewer chances to get more injuries.

Valid point.  The only part of what I said that probably is accurate would be more games played, better for the committee. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting approach is being utilized by the WCC to seed its post-season tournament:

https://wccsports.com/news/2021/2/17/mens-basketball-faraudo-pomeroy-analyzes-kenpom-seedings.aspx

https://wccsports.com/news/2021/2/16/west-coast-conference-adopts-innovative-model-to-seed-the-2021-university-credit-union-mens-and-womens-basketball-tournament.aspx

The WCC also faces this major issue:

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2021/2/16/22285637/could-byu-cougars-basketball-gonzaga-opt-out-of-wcc-basketball-tournament-ncaa

Comment:  The retention of Ken Pomeroy and his algorithm addresses the disparity in games played vis-a-vis tourney seeding.

Re the opt out, Gonzaga presses the envelope with the WCC.  BYU is likely IN, but is no shoo-in.  If Gonzaga and BYU opt out, the NCAA cannot permit that to give a 3rd undeserving WCC team a bid.  Otherwise, every conference could do this.  For instance, Michigan, Ohio State, Illinois could opt out of the Big Ten Tourney.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Interesting approach is being utilized by the WCC to seed its post-season tournament:

https://wccsports.com/news/2021/2/17/mens-basketball-faraudo-pomeroy-analyzes-kenpom-seedings.aspx

https://wccsports.com/news/2021/2/16/west-coast-conference-adopts-innovative-model-to-seed-the-2021-university-credit-union-mens-and-womens-basketball-tournament.aspx

The WCC also faces this major issue:

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2021/2/16/22285637/could-byu-cougars-basketball-gonzaga-opt-out-of-wcc-basketball-tournament-ncaa

Comment:  The retention of Ken Pomeroy and his algorithm addresses the disparity in games played vis-a-vis tourney seeding.

Re the opt out, Gonzaga presses the envelope with the WCC.  BYU is likely IN, but is no shoo-in.  If Gonzaga and BYU opt out, the NCAA cannot permit that to give a 3rd undeserving WCC team a bid.  Otherwise, every conference could do this.  For instance, Michigan, Ohio State, Illinois could opt out of the Big Ten Tourney.

The Big 10 is expected to get as many as 9 teams in and if that is true it is likely one of those 6 remaining teams would probably win the tourney so it wouldn't create a situation where they would get 10 teams.  I would also thing one of the 6 would be dropped if another team caught lightning in a bottle in their conference tourney.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

The Big 10 is expected to get as many as 9 teams in and if that is true it is likely one of those 6 remaining teams would probably win the tourney so it wouldn't create a situation where they would get 10 teams.  I would also thing one of the 6 would be dropped if another team caught lightning in a bottle in their conference tourney.

An opt out in the Big Ten could resurrect Minnesota (NET 57).  A better example would be the ACC, where Syracuse (51), North Carolina (53), Duke (61) and Georgia Tech (62) would all be OUT per the NET.

My main point is what happens to the WCC's Automatic Bid if this potential opt out of Gonzaga (1) and BYU (29) actually happens?  How can that auto bid be given to an undeserving 3rd WCC team?  I say it cannot.  It would be one thing for a St. Mary's or USF, for example, to win the WCC Tourney with Gonzaga and BYU in it, but quite another to win it without them in it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

An opt out in the Big Ten could resurrect Minnesota (NET 57).  A better example would be the ACC, where Syracuse (51), North Carolina (53), Duke (61) and Georgia Tech (62) would all be OUT per the NET.

My main point is what happens to the WCC's Automatic Bid if this potential opt out of Gonzaga (1) and BYU (29) actually happens?  How can that auto bid be given to an undeserving 3rd WCC team?  I say it cannot.  It would be one thing for a St. Mary's or USF, for example, to win the WCC Tourney with Gonzaga and BYU in it, but quite another to win it without them in it.

The NCAA has said that conferences need to state by the end of this month who gets their auto bid, the league champ or the tourney champ.  That could influence what some teams decide to do.  And BTW, Jim Boehim has an eternal Auto Bid as long as he is coach at Syracuse.  They simply have to show up for their game.

Link to post
Share on other sites

With nine league games, SLU will be in the group rated by NET.

And here is an important sentence from the article  Additionally, teams below the 60 percent threshold will not be eligible for the regular season title. 

So no A10 Regular Season Title for the Billikens.  [60% of 18 = 10.8 league games.  Billikens will have 9.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • HoosierPal changed the title to A10 Tourney Rumblings - Major Changes Announced

 

I’m so confused as to how this makes sense. I get moving it up(sorta) but then why wait to play the championship game. Is Dayton hosting it so it’s close to Indy? 
 

and this will make it very hard to finish with a double bye. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

 

 

I’m so confused as to how this makes sense. I get moving it up(sorta) but then why wait to play the championship game. Is Dayton hosting it so it’s close to Indy? 
 

and this will make it very hard to finish with a double bye. 

Championship game on CBS national TV . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, wgstl said:

 

 

I’m so confused as to how this makes sense. I get moving it up(sorta) but then why wait to play the championship game. Is Dayton hosting it so it’s close to Indy? 
 

and this will make it very hard to finish with a double bye. 

The one piece of the puzzle that may be a factor is that teams need seven days of negative tests before they play in Indy. So those final two can start their testing after they leave RIchmond and not have all the other teams around as possible contacts. Yeah I am reaching, you can test anywhere.

Pushing the tourney up a week, perhaps lets teams into the now 10/7 day quarantine that the CDC recommends for close contact (but does St. Louis City?)  I could see our team NOT returning to St. Louis, but going straight to Dayton.

And yes they can easily bus to Indy. But don’t most A10 teams use charter planes?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Nvm I guess this means we’re the #2 seed due to net 

It is interesting that they didn't describe how the two will be melded.  The 60% break is 10.8 games and those are by winning %. We will be NET.  How do you insert a NET ranking into a winning % table.  If VCU has a better winning % than us, but our NET is better, who wins that coin flip?

It's a shame we are not eligible for the League title now.  So the At Large bid surely goes to the tourney winner.  That wasn't mentioned in the article.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

With nine league games, SLU will be in the group rated by NET.

And here is an important sentence from the article  Additionally, teams below the 60 percent threshold will not be eligible for the regular season title. 

So no A10 Regular Season Title for the Billikens.  [60% of 18 = 10.8 league games.  Billikens will have 9.

60% of the median number of conference games played by all teams. The median number wouldn't be 18. Will anyone play all 18 games? What's the least amount of games a team has played? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

It is interesting that they didn't describe how the two will be melded.  The 60% break is 10.8 games and those are by winning %. We will be NET.  How do you insert a NET ranking into a winning % table.  If VCU has a better winning % than us, but our NET is better, who wins that coin flip?

It's a shame we are not eligible for the League title now.  So the At Large bid surely goes to the tourney winner.  That wasn't mentioned in the article.

Not the at large bid, but the automatic bid, no?

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

60% of the median number of conference games played by all teams. The median number wouldn't be 18. Will anyone play all 18 games? What's the least amount of games a team has played? 

Your right, median.  Rhody and LaSalle have 15 and should/could get in 18.  We won't know the median until it is all over.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

It is interesting that they didn't describe how the two will be melded.  The 60% break is 10.8 games and those are by winning %. We will be NET.  How do you insert a NET ranking into a winning % table.  If VCU has a better winning % than us, but our NET is better, who wins that coin flip?

This is my confusion as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, wgstl said:

 

So St. Bonnie gets hosed in this seeding.  Third to 5th, and have to play that extra game.  Top 4 is obviously where you want to be.  Just shake them up after that.  With the tourney up a week, will Fordham show up?  I thought I saw they were out until the 28th.  

Can you assume that when our NET tops VCU's then we get the top seed?  Today they are 31 and 32.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I posted this in the A-10 thread.  Here is my attempt at the math involved.

Taking the current number of games of each team and adding 4 games to each, except where the total would be more than 18, the total games that may be played by league teams is 198.  Some teams have less than 4 remaining games, so the median could actually be lower.  Using this number of games, the median of the possible games played is 15.  60% of 15 is 9.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...