A10 Tourney Final Seedings

HoosierPal

A-10 nears seeding resolution for teams that will not play same number of league games (from Richmond Times-Dispatch, 2/1/2021)

With about a month left in the A-10 regular season, the league is close to determining how its tournament seeding will be handled with the 14 teams not finishing with the same number of conference games.

Because of COVID-related pauses and contact tracing, as of Monday, Saint Louis had played one A-10 game, Rhode Island had played 11, and the other 12 teams were between those numbers. The conference tournament will be held at the University of Richmond’s Robins Center and VCU’s Siegel Center on March 10-14.

According to A-10 commissioner Bernadette McGlade, the league schools’ athletics directors have been meeting weekly to discuss a seeding resolution and may announce a formula later this week. She said members of the A-10 office are “benchmarking a lot of the percentage-type statistical comparisons that can be implemented to be able to make any final decisions as far as where a team would be seeded.”

McGlade added that the league at this time intends to bring all 14 teams to the tournament, though it’s possible that wouldn’t happen. If a team can’t reach the NCAA’s 13-game threshold (12 against Division I opposition during the regular season and one league tournament game), and did not receive an NCAA waiver, it would not compete in the A-10 tournament because it would be ineligible for the NCAA tournament.

“At the end of the day, we certainly want our teams positioned not only to have success in the conference tournament, but to get the most teams we can to the NCAA tournament with our [automatic qualifier] and at-larges,” said Ed McLaughlin, VCU’s vice president and director of athletics.

“We’ve had a lot of discussions on [how to determine seedings] so far. We’ve had a lot of good discussions. If it was an easy answer, I think someone would have it by now. But we’re hopeful that within a short period of time here that we can make the right decision and move on with it.”

Said John Hardt, Richmond’s vice president and director of athletics: “Coaches and administrators, we aren’t used to this. No one’s used to this. The pandemic has forced that uncertainty on us. Those teams that are able to be flexible and able to be responsive are showing resiliency and success. Some other programs have struggled throughout the country with that.”

McGlade said league teams that reach early March confident of an NCAA bid would be prohibited by conference bylaws from opting out of the A-10 tournament.

“All of our members are committed and obligated to play not only their conference regular season but any conference-sponsored postseason championship, should they be eligible,” she said.

The A-10 currently is planning for a maximum of 250 fans, the Virginia limit for an indoor sporting event, at each tournament game at the Robins Center and Siegel Center. The A-10 tournament was originally scheduled to be played at New York’s Barclays Center, but the pandemic made that impractical.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, JettFlight5 said:

Thanks for the update. 

Does anyone know the enforcement mechanism within the conference if a team doesn't play the conference tournament? I guess I see the part about committed and obligated to compete to be a pretty empty threat from the A-10. 

This a WAG... but I could see withholding of tourny $$$. Of course, lawyers would likely get involved if that happened. Conference bylaws are mentioned but I have no idea what they say. There could well be monetary or other sanctions listed there.

McGlade said league teams that reach early March confident of an NCAA bid would be prohibited by conference bylaws from opting out of the A-10 tournament.

JettFlight5 likes this

14 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

A-10 nears seeding resolution for teams that will not play same number of league games (from Richmond Times-Dispatch, 2/1/2021)

With about a month left in the A-10 regular season, the league is close to determining how its tournament seeding will be handled with the 14 teams not finishing with the same number of conference games.

Because of COVID-related pauses and contact tracing, as of Monday, Saint Louis had played one A-10 game, Rhode Island had played 11, and the other 12 teams were between those numbers. The conference tournament will be held at the University of Richmond’s Robins Center and VCU’s Siegel Center on March 10-14.

According to A-10 commissioner Bernadette McGlade, the league schools’ athletics directors have been meeting weekly to discuss a seeding resolution and may announce a formula later this week. She said members of the A-10 office are “benchmarking a lot of the percentage-type statistical comparisons that can be implemented to be able to make any final decisions as far as where a team would be seeded.”

McGlade added that the league at this time intends to bring all 14 teams to the tournament, though it’s possible that wouldn’t happen. If a team can’t reach the NCAA’s 13-game threshold (12 against Division I opposition during the regular season and one league tournament game), and did not receive an NCAA waiver, it would not compete in the A-10 tournament because it would be ineligible for the NCAA tournament.

“At the end of the day, we certainly want our teams positioned not only to have success in the conference tournament, but to get the most teams we can to the NCAA tournament with our [automatic qualifier] and at-larges,” said Ed McLaughlin, VCU’s vice president and director of athletics.

“We’ve had a lot of discussions on [how to determine seedings] so far. We’ve had a lot of good discussions. If it was an easy answer, I think someone would have it by now. But we’re hopeful that within a short period of time here that we can make the right decision and move on with it.”

Said John Hardt, Richmond’s vice president and director of athletics: “Coaches and administrators, we aren’t used to this. No one’s used to this. The pandemic has forced that uncertainty on us. Those teams that are able to be flexible and able to be responsive are showing resiliency and success. Some other programs have struggled throughout the country with that.”

“All of our members are committed and obligated to play not only their conference regular season but any conference-sponsored postseason championship, should they be eligible,” she said.

The A-10 currently is planning for a maximum of 250 fans, the Virginia limit for an indoor sporting event, at each tournament game at the Robins Center and Siegel Center. The A-10 tournament was originally scheduled to be played at New York’s Barclays Center, but the pandemic made that impractical.

It really seems like they are needlessly complicating things.  They just need to use winning % to determine seeding & go with regular tie breakers after that.

I realize that is flawed because there could be large differences in strength of schedule depending upon who played whom.  However, those differences albeit on a smaller scale always exist because A10 never plays a true round robin during the regular season. 

Nothing else they choose would be definitively better than winning %, would be more complicated, and would be more susceptible to criticism.

bauman and brianstl like this

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

It really seems like they are needlessly complicating things.  They just need to use winning % to determine seeding & go with regular tie breakers after that.

I realize that is flawed because there could be large differences in strength of schedule depending upon who played whom.  However, those differences albeit on a smaller scale always exist because A10 never plays a true round robin during the regular season. 

Nothing else they choose would be definitively better than winning %, would be more complicated, and would be more susceptible to criticism.

On the surface, I agree with you on using winning %.  Really, for the Top 4, it isn't all that important....yeah, yeah I know..second round matchups, but where it might get sticky is slot 4 v slot 5 and slots 10 v 11. 

Today, Dayton is 4th in the A10 standings at 6-3, with a 0.667%.  Richmond and UMass are tied for 5th at 4-2, for a 0.667%.  Oops.  So if today was the end of the season, Dayton gets 4th and the Spiders and Rams are out of the bye, simply because of fewer games?  So what do you do?  Reward a team for the most games.  Not going there.    Go to head to head games?  What if Team A hasn't played Team B or C at all and B and C have split?  It makes my head hurt.  Today LaSalle is 10th at 4-6, 0.400% and GW is 11th at 2-3, 0.400%.  Who gets the PIG?

This mess needs some guidelines before it is tourney time.

10 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

On the surface, I agree with you on using winning %.  Really, for the Top 4, it isn't all that important....yeah, yeah I know..second round matchups, but where it might get sticky is slot 4 v slot 5 and slots 10 v 11. 

Today, Dayton is 4th in the A10 standings at 6-3, with a 0.667%.  Richmond and UMass are tied for 5th at 4-2, for a 0.667%.  Oops.  So if today was the end of the season, Dayton gets 4th and the Spiders and Rams are out of the bye, simply because of fewer games?  So what do you do?  Reward a team for the most games.  Not going there.    Go to head to head games?  What if Team A hasn't played Team B or C at all and B and C have split?  It makes my head hurt.  Today LaSalle is 10th at 4-6, 0.400% and GW is 11th at 2-3, 0.400%.  Who gets the PIG?

This mess needs some guidelines before it is tourney time.

I would say you definitely reward the team who has played more games.

Playing more games takes a bigger toll on the body and it involves more travel. I know the number of games  played is out of the teams hands but I have no problem rewarding a team who played more.

brianstl and An A-10 fan like this

17 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I would say you definitely reward the team who has played more games.

Playing more games takes a bigger toll on the body and it involves more travel. I know the number of games  played is out of the teams hands but I have no problem rewarding a team who played more.

So you would be for screwing (uh, make that penalize) the Billikens due to the Covid pause booting a bunch of our games?  I'm not saying your idea is good or bad, just want to know your position.

11 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I know it won't happen this way, but just seed the teams using their present NET ranking.

I think you have just circled why this all needs to be discussed and finalized before too much longer.  That is another solid option you listed.

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

So you would be for screwing (uh, make that penalize) the Billikens due to the Covid pause booting a bunch of our games?  I'm not saying your idea is good or bad, just want to know your position.

It’s unfortunate but I think that’s all you can do.

I would say go by winning percentage with the advantage going to the team who played more.

I have a hard time rewarding teams who haven’t played as much.

It might not be fair but nothing about this year has been fair. 

33 minutes ago, dlarry said:

It’s unfortunate but I think that’s all you can do.

I would say go by winning percentage with the advantage going to the team who played more.

I have a hard time rewarding teams who haven’t played as much.

It might not be fair but nothing about this year has been fair. 

Thank you.  You explained your point.  I don't agree with it, but that isn't relative.  It is your position.  We are free to agree and disagree.

12 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Thank you.  You explained your point.  I don't agree with it, but that isn't relative.  It is your position.  We are free to agree and disagree.

I may be reading waaaaaaaaaay too much into this, but I get the feeling that you are suggesting teams would be less likely to follow protocols if GP was more of a factor?

(PS I think that myself and may just be projecting). 

21 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I know it’s not the best way to go and I’m open to different ideas, I don’t think there is a great answer.

HoosierPal likes this

I would like to know what happens if a team is in quarantine, immediately before the tourney where they could not participate.  Let's say it is one of the top tier teams, SLU, St. Bonnie, VCU or Richmond.  Would the A10 award one (SLU) the bid without playing?  Or are they SOL?  The NCAA shrug it's shoulders and say too bad?  Today, SLU and St. B are consensus picks for the NCAA Tourney, and VCU and Richmond on the bubble, or within sight of the bubble.

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

Found this on the A10 forum.  Kind of humbling currently being in the PIG.

Through games on 2/3
TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE
Wednesday, March 10 at Richmond/VCU

Game 1: 12. Fordham 1-9 vs 13. Saint Louis 0-2 1:00 PM ESPN+
Game 2: 11. George Washington (2-3) vs 14. Saint Joseph’s 0-9 3:30 PM ESPN+

Thursday, March 11 at Richmond/VCU
Game 3: 8. Rhode Island 6-6 vs 9. La Salle 5-6 12:00 PM NBC Sports Network
Game 4: 5. Richmond 4-2 vs Game 1 Winner 2:30 PM NBC Sports Network
Game 5: 7. Duquesne 6-5 vs 10. George Mason (4-5) 6:00 PM NBC Sports Network
Game 6: 6. Dayton 6-4 vs Game 2 Winner 8:30 PM NBC Sports Network

Friday, March 12 at Richmond/VCU
Game 7: 1. St. Bonaventure 7-1 vs Game 3 Winner 12:00 PM NBC Sports Network
Game 8: 4. Massachusetts 5-2 vs Game 4 Winner 2:30 PM NBC Sports Network
Game 9: 2. VCU 6-2 vs Game 5 Winner 6:00 PM NBC Sports Network
Game 10: 3. Davidson 6-2 vs Game 6 Winner 8:30 PM NBC Sports Network

Saturday, March 13 at Richmond/VCU
Game 11: Game 7 Winner vs Game 8 Winner 1:00 PM CBS Sports Network
Game 12: Game 9 Winner vs Game 10 Winner 3:30 PM CBS Sports Network

Sunday, March 14 at Richmond/VCU
Game 13: Championship Game 1:00 PM CBS

SEEDS
1. St. Bonaventure 7-1
2. VCU 6-2*
3. Davidson 6-2*
4. Massachusetts 5-2
5. Richmond 4-2
6. Dayton 6-4
7. Duquesne 6-5
8. Rhode Island 6-6
9. La Salle 5-6
10. George Mason 4-5
11. George Washington 2-3
12. Fordham 1-9
13. Saint Louis 0-2
14. Saint Joseph’s 0-9

* No head to head, Dayton highest common opponent, VCU- W Davidson - L

44 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

And we know what that one with 13 is, don't we.

That one team without any positives is incredibly lucky so far and should consider themselves fortunate.  On the other hand, if I was the coach of said team I'd be losing sleep over keeping my players from getting COVID right before the NCAA tournament and either missing it, having to play without key players, or play coming off a long COVID pause.

Through games on 2/16
TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE
Wednesday, March 10 at Richmond/VCU

Game 1: 12. La Salle 5-9 vs 13. Fordham 2-11 1:00 PM ESPN+
Game 2: 11. George Washington (2-3) vs 14. Saint Joseph’s 0-9 3:30 PM ESPN+

Thursday, March 11 at Richmond/VCU
Game 3: 8. Dayton 7-6 vs 9. Rhode Island 7-8 12:00 PM NBC Sports Network
Game 4: 5. Saint Louis 4-2 vs Game 1 Winner 2:30 PM NBC Sports Network
Game 5: 7. Duquesne 6-5 vs 10. George Mason (5-6) 6:00 PM NBC Sports Network
Game 6: 6. Richmond 4-2 vs Game 2 Winner 8:30 PM NBC Sports Network

Friday, March 12 at Richmond/VCU
Game 7: 1. VCU 8-2 vs Game 3 Winner 12:00 PM NBC Sports Network
Game 8: 4. St. Bonaventure 8-3 vs Game 4 Winner 2:30 PM NBC Sports Network
Game 9: 2. Davidson 6-2 vs Game 5 Winner 6:00 PM NBC Sports Network
Game 10: 3. Massachusetts 6-2 vs Game 6 Winner 8:30 PM NBC Sports Network

Saturday, March 13 at Richmond/VCU
Game 11: Game 7 Winner vs Game 8 Winner 1:00 PM CBS Sports Network
Game 12: Game 9 Winner vs Game 10 Winner 3:30 PM CBS Sports Network

Sunday, March 14 at Richmond/VCU
Game 13: Championship Game 1:00 PM CBS

SEEDS
1. VCU 8-2
2. Davidson 6-2*
3. Massachusetts 6-2*
4.St. Bonaventure 8-3
5. Saint Louis 4-2**
6. Richmond 4-2**
7. Duquesne 6-5
8. Dayton 7-6
9. Rhode Island 7-8
10. George Mason 5-6
11. George Washington 2-3
12. La Salle 5-9
13. Fordham 2-10
14. Saint Joseph’s 0-9

* Davidson beat UMass
** No head to head. St Bona is highest common opponent SLU won and Richmond lost

UMASS has played 11 games not enough yet to qualify for the A10 Tourney.

DOC likes this

One could make an argument about SLU not getting the double bye as a good thing.  Getting an extra game, especially a very winnable game, could help with amount of games played and an extra game to still get back into old form.   

And while I know this is where things stand now, Im betting Davidson will get the 5th spot.

21 minutes ago, wgstl said:

One could make an argument about SLU not getting the double bye as a good thing.  Getting an extra game, especially a very winnable game, could help with amount of games played and an extra game to still get back into old form.   

And while I know this is where things stand now, Im betting Davidson will get the 5th spot.

I'm taking the opposite side.  This team is banged up today, and likely won't get totally healthy until the off season.  From my viewpoint, the fewer the games, the more time to heal, and the fewer chances to get more injuries.