Trouble in Richmond VA?

mrjoelabs

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Makes you wonder if some of the schools with super strict protocols, like slu and Fordham, are upset about the tourney being placed in Richmond and are doing this to force the A10s hand in some way.

I’ve been wondering what is going to happen with the tournament.

The protocols aren’t changing in Richmond and if the Bills don’t think they are safe today why would they think they are safe next month?

13 hours ago, mrjoelabs said:

Now Fordham won't go to VCU. .......VCU just played today.

Are they sure about that A10 tourney? Fordham statement almost as vague as ours.

https://fordhamsports.com/news/2021/1/30/mens-basketball-game-at-vcu-postponed.aspx

As far as I know, VCU is fine. Just played yesterday and traveling to Rhody on Wednesday. Please don't lump VCU's protocol system with the University of Richmond's apparent poor controls. 

25 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

When I called this two days ago, the big tip-off was the Richmond's AD's statement that they had followed all "appropriate" protocols in his Twitter hissy fit.  This is a weasel word.  He was not denying that Richmond was in violation of a protocol, merely that it was a minor violation and didn't really matter anyway. But there was a reason the A-10 commissioner sided with us in that meeting.  She thought, as we did, that Richmond was playing with fire. 

Hopefully everyone involved with the Richmond program is fine and they’re back on the court soon. Glad our staff was able to identify a problem ahead of time and avoid risking anyone getting sick or the team getting put back in shutdown.

If anything, this event has just re-enforced to me that no school or conference seems to be on the same page with regards to protocols and the like, all information we get around these shutdowns should be taken with a massive grain of salt, and it’s a giant bummer that we all have to deal with this BS version of a season, especially given how good our team is. 

22 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

When I called this two days ago, the big tip-off was the Richmond's AD's statement that they had followed all "appropriate" protocols in his Twitter hissy fit.  This is a weasel word.  He was not denying that Richmond was in violation of a protocol, merely that it was a minor violation and didn't really matter anyway. But there was a reason the A-10 commissioner sided with us in that meeting.  She thought, as we did, that Richmond was playing with fire. 

Good call. I think I said this on Friday, but the timing of his statement made it pretty clear to me that he was trying to get out in front of the story before they got buried underneath it. The statement was made within a half hour of the story breaking online. The fact that it came so quickly told me that they already had this statement prepared in advance because they already knew a s—tstorm was on the way. Media statements like that, on issues like Covid, usually require approval. You don’t say things like that publicly off the cuff. It was all prepared, in advance, to spin a narrative.

This is pretty funny, off of the Spider forum. 

More likely that SLU’s concerns were legit and inconclusive tests or whatever have since been confirmed. SLU never set foot in the RC.
Plydogg said:  This doesn’t fit our narrative so I refuse to believe it!!

image.gif

Is anyone else a little pissed at Richmond and the A-10? Thank the Lord our medical staff made the right call and our guys weren’t out there with them, but why were we the ones having to postpone the game when a few days later they are now shut back down. Big time appreciation to the medical staff, but really disappointing that they were put in that position. Happy that we are vindicated now.

billikenbill likes this

I haven't been this happy to be wrong in a long time. I thought SLU looked like they were ducking at first (whoever mentioned the idea of us flying to a game we were ducking made a lot of sense in hindsight), but now we know there were legitimate concerns involved. 

Kudos to all at SLU that made much better decisions than I would have. Extra shout-out to Chris May for playing it closer to the vest and allowing Richmond's AD to make a donkey of himself. 

3 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

Good call. I think I said this on Friday, but the timing of his statement made it pretty clear to me that he was trying to get out in front of the story before they got buried underneath it. The statement was made within a half hour of the story breaking online. The fact that it came so quickly told me that they already had this statement prepared in advance because they already knew a s—tstorm was on the way. Media statements like that, on issues like Covid, usually require approval. You don’t say things like that publicly off the cuff. It was all prepared, in advance, to spin a narrative.

Except they are now saying that the current pause is because of a test on Sunday and they were cleared to play on Friday. Dont know what is true 

19 minutes ago, slusam said:

Except they are now saying that the current pause is because of a test on Sunday and they were cleared to play on Friday. Dont know what is true 

That seems awfully convenient, doesn’t it? They claimed that SLU had a problem with Richmond’s contact tracing, they come out with a BS statement Friday afternoon as soon we board our flights home claiming there was no communication about why we left, May comes out a contradicts that statement later that night, and they get a positive test on Sunday and none of those things are connected? Yeah, fat chance. They can say whatever they want to to cover their own asses, but there’s just no way that’s true.

TheChosenOne likes this

12 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

That seems awfully convenient, doesn’t it? They claimed that SLU had a problem with Richmond’s contact tracing, they come out with a BS statement Friday afternoon as soon we board our flights home claiming there was no communication about why we left, May comes out a contradicts that statement later that night, and they get a positive test on Sunday and none of those things are connected? Yeah, fat chance. They can say whatever they want to to cover their own asses, but there’s just no way that’s true.

I’m guessing one of the tests on Friday was inconclusive.

That was probably enough to be cleared to play for Richmond but the Bills said no way. 
Then that inconclusive test was retested and found positive today.

Just a guess on my part.

Reinert310 and TheChosenOne like this