SLU Women's Soccer Thread

11 minutes ago, SLUBALLS said:

Will be there with my daughter tonight.....hoping she gets a bit inspired watching the ladies after she gets her obligatory face painting, balloon and wears herself out in the inflatables.🙂

as i move into my senior years i look back and realize the above is the best of times.   i am so happy you are using your time so well.   thanks for sharing your moment with your daughter.   

rgbilliken likes this

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A good article in the P-D today talking about the impact of 3 players who played little or none last year, Lawler, Larson and Groak..  If those three can make it without losing playing time this year this will be a heck of a team.  None of them were included in the A 10 preseason 1st team all conference list, but if healthy, they would all be of that quality.

courtside likes this

Selfishly, after having coached club soccer for 20+ years, I can tell my daughter has natural talent for soccer so would love her to be inspired by the SLU Women.  But, at 9 she's still exploring what she wants to do.....gymnastics, volleyball, basketball, cheer, youtube influencer, etc.....as she should.

slufanskip and billiken_roy like this

5 hours ago, SLUBALLS said:

Will be there with my daughter tonight.....hoping she gets a bit inspired watching the ladies after she gets her obligatory face painting, balloon and wears herself out in the inflatables.🙂

Glad you decided to give it a go. Your daughter will have a great time. 

6 hours ago, SLUBALLS said:

Hope to see you there. Haven’t seen you in quite a while. Which side are you going to sit on?

Good 1st half for the Bills 1-0 SLU at halftime. 

Arkansas looked like they were going to take it to the Bills early with a few dangerous services in the air ( Arkansas is tall up top ) but after the 1st 8-10 minutes SLU clearly had the better of play. 

SLU ( Gaebe ) scored off of a short corner served in from the left. I couldn’t see what happened but it appeared to be a loose ball that got knocked in. 

The player that stood out to me was Lindsey Heckel. She just dominates that back line. Very vocal, you can see her giving instructions and pointing to where people need to go. Bri Halverson was also very good looking like her usual self. Feisty, and disruptive on D 

BuiltFordBills likes this

SLU missed on a couple nice opportunities and scored on a garbage scrum in front of the net. Go figure.

Arkansas may have just gotten away with a handball in the box as I type this. Not 100% sure and no replays, though.

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

SLU missed on a couple nice opportunities and scored on a garbage scrum in front of the net. Go figure.

Arkansas may have just gotten away with a handball in the box as I type this. Not 100% sure and no replays, though.

It was right in front of me. It appeared to be a hand ball

Despite having to play against both Arkansas and the Refs, SLU gets the victory.  Arkansas didn’t get a shot all first half, and I don’t think they are used to that at all. SLU’s defense was outstanding, and they hung on for the win. Goal by Emily Gaebe.

Usually the quality of the refs is higher than that in all honesty.  Was that an A10 crew, or did they get a SEC crew for the game?  Oh well, they won, looked like no injuries on SLU.  Lyndsey Heckel was down for a bit, but she got back up and looked good after that. Felt sorry for the Arkansas player who had to be helped off.

26 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Despite having to play against both Arkansas and the Refs, SLU gets the victory.  Arkansas didn’t get a shot all first half, and I don’t think they are used to that at all. SLU’s defense was outstanding, and they hung on for the win. Goal by Emily Gaebe.

Usually the quality of the refs is higher than that in all honesty.  Was that an A10 crew, or did they get a SEC crew for the game?  Oh well, they won, looked like no injuries on SLU.  Lyndsey Heckel was down for a bit, but she got back up and looked good after that. Felt sorry for the Arkansas player who had to be helped off.

I don’t think you can ever say the refs favored the away team in soccer the way you can in basketball. Most of the refs that work SLU games are local. Perhaps you could say they overcompensate but never favor out of some sort of overt respect. It’s not like basketball where they are brought in. 

5 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I don’t think you can ever say the refs favored the away team in soccer the way you can in basketball. Most of the refs that work SLU games are local. Perhaps you could say they overcompensate but never favor out of some sort of overt respect. It’s not like basketball where they are brought in. 

It was more the calls they didnt make.  Oh well, water under the bridge at this point

3 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

It was more the calls they didnt make.  Oh well, water under the bridge at this point

I thought the way he called the game allowed Ark to be very physical and use their hands a lot to get space and many, many times to hold SLU up or even down on headers. However, I thought that was the same both ways. Just that allowing that type of game favored Ark a bit. The linesman on the south side SLU side was terrible. Always behind the play and missed two extremely obvious calls. One SLU was off and no call and the other he called SLU off and she wasn’t really even close but he was 15 yards behind the play. I’m interested in watching the game on ESPN+ to see the hand ball. It was so fast and it looked obvious to me, but often when I see it again, I end up agreeing with the no call 

Boom. Big result for SLU in a variety of ways. Good atmosphere and crowd. Hope to see an even better one next week vs Notre Dame, who is also very good.

Overall, it was a very solid game for SLU, who played well, but, who are just getting started. They can and they will get better as the season progresses.

Plenty of good things and, some things to work on as the season progresses. 

4-2-3-1 (same formation and personnel as expected. Simon was not available for the game. She’s a good player.)

Arkansas was in a 3-4-3. (Both local players started and played often) The corners in space, diagonal balls can be effective attacking that. 

………………….

SLU did well adjusting to the pace and physicality of the game, which is a jolt in the first few minutes against a team like Arkansas. 

There were a few (5) fouls in SLU’s defensive half in the first half, that gave presented Arkansas free kicks. (Van Fitch took all of them) All were well defended. SLU cleaned that up a lot as the half progresses and in the 2nd half. SLU had 3 pf their own, having Houck take all of them

Larson was flying up and down the right wing with two way play in the first half. (she started to tire a little more in the 2nd) And SLU had a few strong early chances. Bryana Hunter used all of her 5’10 size and length on the right side of the Razorback defense to help keep SLU off of the board early. She’s 1st team all SEC for a reason. Here is one of them, Larson in space to Kelly who finished just wide far post:

https://twitter.com/sluwsoccer/status/1560421023169871873?s=21&t=hm70RrXcFJsJsPLyBnfZYQ

…………………………….

Then Hunter unfortunately went out with an injury for Arkansas the rest of the game, and the Razorbacks had to shift a few defenders over.

Gaebe had a strong game for SLU. She does many little things well that casual observers sometimes don’t notice. Physical player that can play as a target but also deceptively quick in space. And as she does, she won several corners in both halves for SLU.

She was a handful all game for Arkansas. Here Gaebe had a good chance, wide far post finish in the 30th minute:

https://twitter.com/sluwsoccer/status/1560426877495517185?s=21&t=hm70RrXcFJsJsPLyBnfZYQ

……………………..

SLU’s goal came on a short corner m, Larson to Walsh, who served a direct aerial ball, near post, in front of the goal. Gaebe positioned herself well, in front of the defender and keeper, and she flicks it over both and taps it into the corner. (I’ve seen her score goals like this before.):

https://twitter.com/sluwsoccer/status/1560428151204888576?s=21&t=hm70RrXcFJsJsPLyBnfZYQ

……………………

Nice minutes from newcomers Hannah Smith (speed and decision making wide) on both wings, as well as Clare Nicholas albeit brief for her (good distribution and passing) at wing back. Good experience for both. 

………………….

Good substitutions for SLU. Nice recognition to leave Gaebe in the game and sub in Kelly at the wing for fresh legs, before moving Kelly back up top. Karsen Kohl also provided some pace in the defensive midfield. And later in the half, SLU went to 3 defensive midfielders instead of 2. That would have been 1 if they meed a goal, and 2 if playing straight up. 

…………………..

Rock solid on defense throughout for SLU on the back line with Houck, Stram, Heckel, Halverson, as well as in the defensive midfield ball winning and short interior passing from Lawler, Miller, Kohl. Bri Halverson not only defended well, but she took the space when needed and provided SLU with several attacking opportunities, mostly by cutting inside instead of just playing up the wing. Groark and Walsh also played deeper often and also defended well.

There were a few diagonal balls left side for Podojil. She was eventually going to get a chance or two and she did. But she didn’t get many. This was her big chance here on a weak side counter:

https://twitter.com/razorbacksoccer/status/1560436457822507009?s=21&t=hm70RrXcFJsJsPLyBnfZYQ

…………………

Gaebe missed a chance to put SLU up two early in the 2nd, and later another good chance had Gaebe doing a lot of work winning a ball making a run to Larson on the right side to Groark who just missed a header finish that she’d like back. Great chance there. Groark had another shot off target as well.

If SLU could have gone up by more than one goal, the game would have opened up a little more. 

………………

There was a hand ball in the box by Arkansas that was a good no call. Nothing to see there. Hand at her side and the ball was blasted at her hand. PK’s are for blatant things. Rule of thumb is to not call one unless necessary, unless it prevents a goal. (I’m aware that some chase PK calls.)

A foul was called on Gaebe in space which could have been an excellent SLU chance later in the 2nd. SLU was looking for a call the other way. But I didn’t see anything close to one sided officiating. 

If you want to play Power 5 teams, especially the SEC and Big 10, you will need to be physical with their team or you will get pushed around. SLU did a nice job of that and, avoiding fouls doing so. Good composure and decision making. (ACC and Pac 12 are a bit more finesse skill leagues.)

The result is big for SLU. I can think of at least a few big head to head recruiting battles SLU has right now with Arkansas, Tennessee, South Carolina and a few other SEC schools, not to mention other Power 5 leagues. Now SLU can root for Arkansas this season, as well as every other team on SLU’s schedule. 

You are only as good as your next game. Drake is the biggest game on the schedule right now. 

………………

Local note: Both Ava Tankersley and Izzy Luebbert started for Arkansas and played a combined 150 or so minutes. Both played club ball at SLSG. SLU has 10 players from the same club. And SLU currently has 4 commits from there. And they are recruiting several players from this Summer’s 06 SLSG ECNL National Championship team. 

……………….

As previously mentioned, SLU recruits mostly against Power 5 schools. (some more than others). Power 5 likes to sell Power 5 to recruits as a reason to attend their school instead of SLU. I’m sure many here are aware of the SEC league slogan, “It just means more.” Well, SLU had a little fun with that slogan after the win last night:

https://twitter.com/kshields12/status/1560469642711293958?s=21&t=WBbo5JAsWrFiJzasuZhBEw

……………………

Game highlights:

https://twitter.com/sluwsoccer/status/1560616140920877057?s=21&t=WBbo5JAsWrFiJzasuZhBEw

Can we get off the refs?  Let's talk about the game and the girls.....we sound like typical CYC parents b-tching after a local CYC game.  

On that note.....very physical game on both sides which was great to see.  SLU absorbed early pressure in the first half before establishing a better presence in the the middle third and offensive third.  Goal was a bit garbage off  direct kick but when I saw the goalie lose sight of the ball in the middle of a bunch of players in the six yard box, it was rugby time....meaning do what ever you need to to get the ball across the line and SLU did.  As noted, no shots by Arkansas in first half.  They also lost one of their better players in the tall, long, big center back......she was really good in the time she was out there.  Second half, Arkansas came out pounding on SLU trying to the the tying goal but SLU held and eventually the push subsided and SLU again establishing themselves upfield.  The handball.....from my angle the Ark girls hand was close to the body and given the closeness of the shot, probably seen as unintentional.  To be sure, it would have been nice to grab a second.  Anyway, Ark pressed hard in the last 7 minutes to grab something.....the long, tall left mid was the one I was concerned about but she didn't get much of an opportunity to do anything  SLU did well to thwart the attacks....I will say it was disappointing to see the SLU girls lofting the ball to no one or to Ark at the 5 minute mark instead of trying to string together some level of possession to see the game out.

Courtside will have better color on individuals.....Graebe is a beast.  That one middie was super fast and dangerous.  Groark held down the middle.  

Great time out there last night as well.  

28 minutes ago, courtside said:

Boom. Big result for SLU in a variety of ways. Good atmosphere and crowd. Hope to see an even better one next week vs Notre Dame, who is also very good.

Overall, it was a very solid game for SLU, who played well, but, who are just getting started. They can and they will get better as the season progresses.

Plenty of good things and, some things to work on as the season progresses. 

4-2-3-1 (same formation and personnel as expected. Simon was not available for the game. She’s a good player.)

Arkansas was in a 3-4-3. (Both local players started and played often) The corners in space, diagonal balls can be effective attacking that. 

………………….

SLU did well adjusting to the pace and physicality of the game, which is a jolt in the first few minutes against a team like Arkansas. 

There were a few (5) fouls in SLU’s defensive half in the first half, that gave presented Arkansas free kicks. (Van Fitch took all of them) All were well defended. SLU cleaned that up a lot as the half progresses and in the 2nd half. SLU had 3 pf their own, having Houck take all of them

Larson was flying up and down the right wing with two way play in the first half. (she started to tire a little more in the 2nd) And SLU had a few strong early chances. Bryana Hunter used all of her 5’10 size and length on the right side of the Razorback defense to help keep SLU off of the board early. She’s 1st team all SEC for a reason. Here is one of them, Larson in space to Kelly who finished just wide far post:

https://twitter.com/sluwsoccer/status/1560421023169871873?s=21&t=hm70RrXcFJsJsPLyBnfZYQ

…………………………….

Then Hunter unfortunately went out with an injury for Arkansas the rest of the game, and the Razorbacks had to shift a few defenders over.

Gaebe had a strong game for SLU. She does many little things well that casual observers sometimes don’t notice. Physical player that can play as a target but also deceptively quick in space. And as she does, she won several corners in both halves for SLU.

She was a handful all game for Arkansas. Here Gaebe had a good chance, wide far post finish in the 30th minute:

https://twitter.com/sluwsoccer/status/1560426877495517185?s=21&t=hm70RrXcFJsJsPLyBnfZYQ

……………………..

SLU’s goal came on a short corner m, Larson to Walsh, who served a direct aerial ball, near post, in front of the goal. Gaebe positioned herself well, in front of the defender and keeper, and she flicks it over both and taps it into the corner. (I’ve seen her score goals like this before.):

https://twitter.com/sluwsoccer/status/1560428151204888576?s=21&t=hm70RrXcFJsJsPLyBnfZYQ

……………………

Nice minutes from newcomers Hannah Smith (speed and decision making wide) on both wings, as well as Clare Nicholas albeit brief for her (good distribution and passing) at wing back. Good experience for both. 

………………….

Good substitutions for SLU. Nice recognition to leave Gaebe in the game and sub in Kelly at the wing for fresh legs, before moving Kelly back up top. Karsen Kohl also provided some pace in the defensive midfield. And later in the half, SLU went to 3 defensive midfielders instead of 2. That would have been 1 if they meed a goal, and 2 if playing straight up. 

…………………..

Rock solid on defense throughout for SLU on the back line with Houck, Stram, Heckel, Halverson, as well as in the defensive midfield ball winning and short interior passing from Lawler, Miller, Kohl. Bri Halverson not only defended well, but she took the space when needed and provided SLU with several attacking opportunities, mostly by cutting inside instead of just playing up the wing. Groark and Walsh also played deeper often and also defended well.

There were a few diagonal balls left side for Podojil. She was eventually going to get a chance or two and she did. But she didn’t get many. This was her big chance here on a weak side counter:

https://twitter.com/razorbacksoccer/status/1560436457822507009?s=21&t=hm70RrXcFJsJsPLyBnfZYQ

…………………

Gaebe missed a chance to put SLU up two early in the 2nd, and later another good chance had Gaebe doing a lot of work winning a ball making a run to Larson on the right side to Groark who just missed a header finish that she’d like back. Great chance there. Groark had another shot off target as well.

If SLU could have gone up by more than one goal, the game would have opened up a little more. 

………………

There was a hand ball in the box by Arkansas that was a good no call. Nothing to see there. Hand at her side and the ball was blasted at her hand. PK’s are for blatant things. Rule of thumb is to not call one unless necessary, unless it prevents a goal. (I’m aware that some chase PK calls.)

A foul was called on Gaebe in space which could have been an excellent SLU chance later in the 2nd. SLU was looking for a call the other way. But I didn’t see anything close to one sided officiating. 

If you want to play Power 5 teams, especially the SEC and Big 10, you will need to be physical with their team or you will get pushed around. SLU did a nice job of that and, avoiding fouls doing so. Good composure and decision making. (ACC and Pac 12 are a bit more finesse skill leagues.)

The result is big for SLU. I can think of at least a few big head to head recruiting battles SLU has right now with Arkansas, Tennessee, South Carolina and a few other SEC schools, not to mention other Power 5 leagues. Now SLU can root for Arkansas this season, as well as every other team on SLU’s schedule. 

You are only as good as your next game. Drake is the biggest game on the schedule right now. 

………………

Local note: Both Ava Tankersley and Izzy Luebbert started for Arkansas and played a combined 150 or so minutes. Both played club ball at SLSG. SLU has 10 players from the same club. And SLU currently has 4 commits from there. And they are recruiting several players from this Summer’s 06 SLSG ECNL National Championship team. 

……………….

As previously mentioned, SLU recruits mostly against Power 5 schools. (some more than others). Power 5 likes to sell Power 5 to recruits as a reason to attend their school instead of SLU. I’m sure many here are aware of the SEC league slogan, “It just means more.” Well, SLU had a little fun with that slogan after the win last night:

https://twitter.com/kshields12/status/1560469642711293958?s=21&t=WBbo5JAsWrFiJzasuZhBEw

……………………

Game highlights:

https://twitter.com/sluwsoccer/status/1560616140920877057?s=21&t=WBbo5JAsWrFiJzasuZhBEw

Larson is that rare player…every time she receives the ball one anticipates something positive is going to happen.  Kind of like Parker was for the Men’s team last year.  Fun to watch.

courtside and Pistol like this

Courtside thanks for the report and video clips.  On the second clip, where Gaebe missed the shot to the left of the far corner post, she passed up an easy SLU goal if she had just passed the ball to the wide open teammate to her left.  Maybe a teaching point for Katie.

What a great start to the year.  On to Drake and lets pack the place for ND.

courtside likes this

52 minutes ago, SLUBALLS said:

Can we get off the refs?  Let's talk about the game and the girls.....we sound like typical CYC parents b-tching after a local CYC game.  

On that note.....very physical game on both sides which was great to see.  SLU absorbed early pressure in the first half before establishing a better presence in the the middle third and offensive third.  Goal was a bit garbage off  direct kick but when I saw the goalie lose sight of the ball in the middle of a bunch of players in the six yard box, it was rugby time....meaning do what ever you need to to get the ball across the line and SLU did.  As noted, no shots by Arkansas in first half.  They also lost one of their better players in the tall, long, big center back......she was really good in the time she was out there.  Second half, Arkansas came out pounding on SLU trying to the the tying goal but SLU held and eventually the push subsided and SLU again establishing themselves upfield.  The handball.....from my angle the Ark girls hand was close to the body and given the closeness of the shot, probably seen as unintentional.  To be sure, it would have been nice to grab a second.  Anyway, Ark pressed hard in the last 7 minutes to grab something.....the long, tall left mid was the one I was concerned about but she didn't get much of an opportunity to do anything  SLU did well to thwart the attacks....I will say it was disappointing to see the SLU girls lofting the ball to no one or to Ark at the 5 minute mark instead of trying to string together some level of possession to see the game out.

Courtside will have better color on individuals.....Graebe is a beast.  That one middie was super fast and dangerous.  Groark held down the middle.  

Great time out there last night as well.  

-I wondered about that

-keep it going Ladies

It was great to see the stands so full. SLU tried to make it a family friendly environment and they succeeded. Let’s pack the stands again for ND, but first we have to play Drake. Drake was picked 4th in the MVC, and won their first game against Kansas City 3-1. Game is on ESPN+

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

It was great to see the stands so full. SLU tried to make it a family friendly environment and they succeeded. Let’s pack the stands again for ND, but first we have to play Drake. Drake was picked 4th in the MVC, and won their first game against Kansas City 3-1. Game is on ESPN+

Drake beating KC, 3-1 is not much to talk about.  KC tied Lindenwood 0-0.  That's the same Lindenwood that we beat 9-0.  I know comparative scores can be misleading, but assuming the KC-LU tie means they are somewhat comparable  then Drake's 3-1 win pales compared to our 9-0 win.

I will be shocked if Drake scores a goal against our defense.

Go Lady Bills

9 minutes ago, bauman said:

Drake beating KC, 3-1 is not much to talk about.  KC tied Lindenwood 0-0.  That's the same Lindenwood that we beat 9-0.  I know comparative scores can be misleading, but assuming the KC-LU tie means they are somewhat comparable  then Drake's 3-1 win pales compared to our 9-0 win.

I will be shocked if Drake scores a goal against our defense.

Go Lady Bills

True, but sometimes you get 30 shots on goal and your opponent gets 1, and you end up losing 1-0. For a round ball, that soccer ball sometimes takes weird bounces…

That said, if we play the way we can, I agree we should win. Roll Bills!

bauman likes this