SLU Women's Soccer Thread (2020 - 2021)

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Yes it is. I elaborated a bit about it several posts back. Some may not know or realize how challenging it is to get Arkansas and Notre Dame at home, among other highlights. Many high profile recruits will be at those games. Both of those programs are potential Final Four teams, playing, and recruiting, and high levels. SLU has an impressive non-conference schedule annually.

Once again SLU has done well to schedule a strong game in a wide variety of power leagues, ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big East. (They also frequently schedule the Big 12) It’s more challenging logistically to schedule the Big 12. Xavier and Nebraska will be helpful in the Big East and Big 10.

Some of the more local/regional games are good ones too for different reasons. Playing at UMKC gives SLU a KC market game. (Jess Smith, a friend of the program is also coaching Katelyn Brinkman in Summer Ball this Summer). SLU has players, commits, and recruiting targets from more than four different KC club teams. Missouri State, SIUE will be competitive.

I’m also encouraged with the first non-conference A10 schedule of Loyola Chicago. They did a nice job, and will be playing games against Wisconsin, Xavier, DePaul, and Illinois. (Loyola has already recruited the Stl market in the past, and now they are already ramping it up even more as they transition to the A10. 

I was a little bit disappointed initially with Dayton’s Fall non-conference schedule. I was hoping for a little bit more with them. They also lost a key recruiting assistant coach. But they return the likes of Huber and Gemelli, and they will be competitive. (They are also adding a few future solid players from Stl and KC)

The A10 as a league still needs to do a better job of allowing teams to schedule a more challenging non-conference game or two later in the season instead of early only. This makes a difference. And some of the league’s teams are better than others with their non-conference scheduling. (VCU, Rhode Island among the better ones) 

slufanskip likes this

9 hours ago, courtside said:Yes it is. I elaborated a bit about it several posts back. Some may not know or realize how challenging it is to get Arkansas and Notre Dame at home, among other highlights. Many high profile recruits will be at those games. Both of those programs are potential Final Four teams, playing, and recruiting, and high levels. SLU has an impressive non-conference schedule annually.

The A10 as a league still needs to do a better job of allowing teams to schedule a more challenging non-conference game or two later in the season instead of early only. This makes a difference. And some of the league’s teams are better than others with their non-conference scheduling. (VCU, Rhode Island among the better ones) 

So the Men’s schedule just dropped, and I remembered the last paragraph in this post. The Women play 10 A10 league games, and none not in conference after the conference schedule starts. The Men play only 8 A10 league games, and after playing 2 A10 games they play Marquette from the Big East, then 4 more A10 league games, then IUPUI from the Horizon, then 2 more A10 games. 

I really can’t figure out why they are different. 10 games in a 14-15 team league seems more appropriate than only 8, and the men can schedule non-conference games later in the year during the conference schedule.  Anyone have any insight on why the difference in the Men and Women’s scheduling and number of league games?

SLU has a 2024 commit from Ashley Miller, a Central Attacking Midfielder, from Fort Zumwalt South High School, and JB Marine.

While playing for her dad, Ashley’s club team will soon compete in the USYS President’s Cup National Finals in Colorado, Her team recently won the President’s Cup Midwest Regionals. Ashley has also been a Missouri Olympic Development Program, Inter Regional player.

Honorable Mention All State as a Sophomore, the creative, skilled, pass first Miller, led the area in assists with 29, while also chipping in 12 goals, for the Back to Back Missouri Class 3 State Champions. 

slufanskip and Bearcat like this