SLU Women's Soccer Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Coaching carousel. 

Maryland hired Meghan Ryan Nemzer today as its new head coach. (She’s from Annapolis). It’s a big hire for Maryland.

She played at Rutgers. She’s been a long time assistant at Rutgers under Mike O’Neill. SLU of course played Rutgers in the NCAA Rd of 32. Meghan has been both a head coach and assistant with various PDA ECNL club teams where Mike O’Neill has been her assistant at times.

Also, UCLA has a vacancy to go with previously mentioned USC. (McAlipne went to Georgia). Amanda Cromwell is the new NWSL Orlando coach. It’s big for NWSL to land a coach such as Cromwell. She was at UCLA 9 seasons. The past few years they have had some of the best teams I have seen in Women’s college soccer. She won a national title their her first season. 

Samar Azem from Campbell is a good hire for Villanova. 

Locally/regionally Kirk Nelson was recently hired at Missouri St. He was a long time assistant there and a non surprise hire. He coaches Missouri and Midwest ODP. He is a leading coaching license instructor. And he is a USWNT scout. 

On 12/9/2021 at 2:02 PM, bauman said:

Skip, I like your thought about enlarging the goal.  Another suggestion would be to take the hockey approach.  Play 1 15 minute OT period with 9 players, and a 2nd with 8 players.  That would really open up the field for up to 30 minutes, and I think would normally produce a golden goal.

Still tied, then go to sudden death PK's.

That's a big field to play with 9 or less players. I don't think it would open the game up, I think teams would draw in and defend looking for a counter. I know they do it in hockey, but the rink is much smaller than a soccer field. 

41 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

why? 

I honestly think it would make it more exciting. I’m not talking a massive change in field size but Hermann’s pitch is MASSIVE and I think it bogs down the game. IMO Smaller field would eliminate a lot of the kick and run, while promoting more pass and move. Women’s basketball uses a slightly smaller ball, why not at least give it a try in soccer. 

• 3 weeks later...

Six SLU Women’s Soccer commits (and other SLU recruiting targets) are playing this weekend in the ECNL National Showcase in Florida. (Wolterman, Nichols, Lutz, Jackson, Gary, Schwartz) Lakewood Ranch, near Sarasota. As always, message me if you need game times, field numbers, and players to watch. 3 games, one game per day, Jan 8-10. SLU staff will be there recruiting.

On the local front, 2022 SLU soccer commit Ellie Paloucek has helped lead her Webster Groves basketball team to the top ranked spot in Stl girls large schools rankings, with several 20 plus point games, and, several double digit assist games. (She had 29 in the state semifinals last Spring vs Kickapoo) They have a nice mix of D-1 hooper commits, K-State, Eastern Michigan, and younger players.

slufanskip likes this

That name "Paloucek" rang a bell and then I realized I coached her oldest sister, Annie, for years at MetroStrikers/Lou Fusz.  Time has certainly flown though as last time I saw Ellie she was just a little kid.  Doesn't surprise me that she is doing that well at soccer and basketball and glad to see her make her way to SLU.  Her sister was a natural athlete with really great instincts.

1 hour ago, SLUBALLS said:

That name "Paloucek" rang a bell and then I realized I coached her oldest sister, Annie, for years at MetroStrikers/Lou Fusz.  Time has certainly flown though as last time I saw Ellie she was just a little kid.  Doesn't surprise me that she is doing that well at soccer and basketball and glad to see her make her way to SLU.  Her sister was a natural athlete with really great instincts.

Annie played at UMSL. (She’s a nurse.) She played high school ball for SLU Women’s Soccer assistant Chris Allen. Shields recruited Allen to coach at SLU after getting to know him better during Maddie Pokorny’s recruitment.

Ellie Paloucek previously played for Lou Fusz (both USYS and Girls Academy) club ball with current SLU players Emily Gaebe, Madelyn Smith, Xavier’s Chloe Netzel. Some of them won the U16 USYS National Title a few years back. 

Some of the players graduated this past year, and, some, including Ellie switched to Sporting Stl, (Girls Academy). Several of their teams had a nice showing at the recent big California Winter Showcase. 

Lou Fusz is strong in the younger teams right now, U15 and U14 in particular. Former SLU assistant Bry McCarthy is one of their coaches. They made the National Finals and National semis last season in Girls Academy. Sporting has a local U12 player that won all 4 games for USA Futsal in Madrid, Spain over the recent holiday.

Ellie Paloucek is a very good pickup for SLU’s Women’s Soccer team. She’s a multi sport baller. She’ll play high school soccer for Webster after the basketball season. Her soccer club team at Sporting Stl finished in first place in the Texas heavy Frontier Conference with a 10-0-3 record this past fall in U19. (2023 SLU commit Nina Preusser plays on her club team)

1 hour ago, courtside said:

Annie played at UMSL. (She’s a nurse.) She played high school ball for SLU Women’s Soccer assistant Chris Allen. Shields recruited Allen to coach at SLU after getting to know him better during Maddie Pokorny’s recruitment.

Ellie Paloucek previously played for Lou Fusz (both USYS and Girls Academy) club ball with current SLU players Emily Gaebe, Madelyn Smith, Xavier’s Chloe Netzel. Some of them won the U16 USYS National Title a few years back. 

Some of the players graduated this past year, and, some, including Ellie switched to Sporting Stl, (Girls Academy). Several of their teams had a nice showing at the recent big California Winter Showcase. 

Lou Fusz is strong in the younger teams right now, U15 and U14 in particular. Former SLU assistant Bry McCarthy is one of their coaches. They made the National Finals and National semis last season in Girls Academy. Sporting has a local U12 player that won all 4 games for USA Futsal in Madrid, Spain over the recent holiday.

Ellie Paloucek is a very good pickup for SLU’s Women’s Soccer team. She’s a multi sport baller. She’ll play high school soccer for Webster after the basketball season. Her soccer club team at Sporting Stl finished in first place in the Texas heavy Frontier Conference with a 10-0-3 record this past fall in U19. (2023 SLU commit Nina Preusser plays on her club team)

Besides Ellie and Nina, that Sporting STL (which has always played as the Red Devils) team is loaded with D 1 signees, As best I know, they have at least 1 each on D 1 scholarships to Mich, Iowa, Nebraska (Omaha), Col of Charleston and Bellarmine with some of their rising Juniors (in addition to Nina) being heavily recruited by some big D 1 programs.  I think that team has won 4 straight Missouri Cups.

• 3 weeks later...

Good luck this weekend to 2022 SLU commit Hannah Smith, and 2023 SLU commit Autumn Jackson, who were selected to play in this weekend’s first ECNL Super Cup National Selection Program. They were selected amongst a pool of five different age groups.

Smith is one of two 2022 SLSG players selected, and Jackson is one three 2023 SLSG players selected to play in this weekend in Indianapolis in the inaugural event, with and against some of the best teams and players across the Midwest and Upper Midwest. (including some SLU recruiting targets)

Smith is a right wing/forward, First Team All State as a high school Junior last year. She’s been an ECNL Conference Selection Player. Jackson is an outside back/wingback. ICC Futures Player. 2nd Team All Conference ECNL. IMG Top 150 player. U17 USWNT Virtual Camp in 2021. 

Bearcat likes this

2 hours ago, courtside said:

Good luck this weekend to 2022 SLU commit Hannah Smith, and 2023 SLU commit Autumn Jackson, who were selected to play in this weekend’s first ECNL Super Cup National Selection Program. They were selected amongst a pool of five different age groups.

Smith is one of two 2022 SLSG players selected, and Jackson is one three 2023 SLSG players selected to play in this weekend in Indianapolis in the inaugural event, with and against some of the best teams and players across the Midwest and Upper Midwest. (including some SLU recruiting targets)

Smith is a right wing/forward, First Team All State as a high school Junior last year. She’s been an ECNL Conference Selection Player. Jackson is an outside back/wingback. ICC Futures Player. 2nd Team All Conference ECNL. IMG Top 150 player. U17 USWNT Virtual Camp in 2021. 

-do you expect Smith to get time in the Fall? if so, who would be out?

bauman likes this

18 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

-do you expect Smith to get time in the Fall? if so, who would be out?

The short answer to your question, is yes, I expect her to compete for playing time at wing and forward next season.

The longer answer:

SLU will have a deeper team next season, with healthy competition for playing time. 

H Smith is a very experienced player in her class who has played with and against some of the best players, locally, regionally, and nationally. She has a knack for getting behind the defense and scoring big goals from a wing position, and, she is good at organizing an attack. She has also played up top for her club and high school. But I expect her to begin on the wing in college.

Smith made the national quarterfinals a few years back with her club team. And they make the highest tier of the ECNL playoffs annually. This season her club team went 10-3 in Midwest league play. Half of her team played on the U18/19 last year that made the National Quarterfinals of ECNL. She gets to practice/train with players headed to South Carolina, North Carolina, Wisconsin, Arkansas, Mizzou, Mississippi St, Memphis, SMU,  Missouri St., Grand Canyon, SIUE. on a regular basis. And that’s just the U18/19’s. She and her team picked up a win over FC Dallas and a draw vs SoCal Blues.!Last season they picked up a win over Dallas Solar, one of the better teams in the age group. So she’s certainly battle tested for her age. 

Every new player at SLU has a varied time adjustment period to the pace, physicality, technical, and cerebral components of a next level of competition. We see that all the time. We saw it this past season. Emily Gaebe became the A-10 Rookie of the Year. Mattyn Summers was the MVP of the Conference Tourney, and so on. Even some veteran players needed some time to overcome injuries to later make significant impacts, Friedrich, Halverson, etc..

H Smith will be joined by fellow Freshmen attacking third players, Taylor Krueger, Ellie Paloucek, Claire Nicholas.

SLU returns several attacking third players as well: Friedrich, Groark, Walsh, Larson, Kelly, Preusser, Gaebe, Sawyer, Summers, M Smith. (Hiatt is a defensive midfielder and outside back, and Wolterman is a keeper)

A hypothetically healthy and ready to go SLU team has Groark, Larson, Friedrich, along with Kelly, Gaebe, etc..in its attack. So, we’ll see. As Katie has said, the increases depth is a good problem to have and sort out.

Some will move around a bit on the field based on how best they can help the team. (Moving Kelly to a wing, Friedrich to a center midfielder at times last year) Some players will deal with injuries. Some will share time. And so on. Practice/training will be high quality and intensity.

slufanskip likes this

1 hour ago, courtside said:

The short answer to your question, is yes, I expect her to compete for playing time at wing and forward next season.

The longer answer:

SLU will have a deeper team next season, with healthy competition for playing time. 

H Smith is a very experienced player in her class who has played with and against some of the best players, locally, regionally, and nationally. She has a knack for getting behind the defense and scoring big goals from a wing position, and, she is good at organizing an attack. She has also played up top for her club and high school. But I expect her to begin on the wing in college.

Smith made the national quarterfinals a few years back with her club team. And they make the highest tier of the ECNL playoffs annually. This season her club team went 10-3 in Midwest league play. Half of her team played on the U18/19 last year that made the National Quarterfinals of ECNL. She gets to practice/train with players headed to South Carolina, North Carolina, Wisconsin, Arkansas, Mizzou, Mississippi St, Memphis, SMU,  Missouri St., Grand Canyon, SIUE. on a regular basis. And that’s just the U18/19’s. She and her team picked up a win over FC Dallas and a draw vs SoCal Blues.!Last season they picked up a win over Dallas Solar, one of the better teams in the age group. So she’s certainly battle tested for her age. 

Every new player at SLU has a varied time adjustment period to the pace, physicality, technical, and cerebral components of a next level of competition. We see that all the time. We saw it this past season. Emily Gaebe became the A-10 Rookie of the Year. Mattyn Summers was the MVP of the Conference Tourney, and so on. Even some veteran players needed some time to overcome injuries to later make significant impacts, Friedrich, Halverson, etc..

H Smith will be joined by fellow Freshmen attacking third players, Taylor Krueger, Ellie Paloucek, Claire Nicholas.

SLU returns several attacking third players as well: Friedrich, Groark, Walsh, Larson, Kelly, Preusser, Gaebe, Sawyer, Summers, M Smith. (Hiatt is a defensive midfielder and outside back, and Wolterman is a keeper)

A hypothetically healthy and ready to go SLU team has Groark, Larson, Friedrich, along with Kelly, Gaebe, etc..in its attack. So, we’ll see. As Katie has said, the increases depth is a good problem to have and sort out.

Some will move around a bit on the field based on how best they can help the team. (Moving Kelly to a wing, Friedrich to a center midfielder at times last year) Some players will deal with injuries. Some will share time. And so on. Practice/training will be high quality and intensity.

-thanks, hope the Ladies have great success

courtside likes this

• 3 weeks later...

SLU hosted a successful Winter ID Camp this past weekend despite several local players traveling for friendlies, as well as ID selections. SLSG U17, U16, U15 U were in Louisville playing Ohio Elite and Racing Louisville in some friendlies. Many local Girls Academy players were selected to play at Frontier Conference ID Showcase in Dallas. (over 50 across 4 age groups) Good opportunity to take a look at some players across different parts of the country, and, locally.

Some of SLU’s upcoming Spring Games:

March 26th vs SIUC

April 2          vs Kansas State

April 9          vs Illinois State

April 23 vs Missouri State/SIUE

April 30        at Illinois

Next weekend, 7 SLU commits (and national recruiting targets) will be playing in Houston at two separate events for ECNL National Showcase and GA. (6 teams playing key league games) It would have been 10 SLU commits, but a few clubs are not taking their U19 teams and one player is injured. 

• 3 weeks later...

SLU Women’s Soccer has received a 2023 commitment from Alyssa Bockius. 

Alyssa is a two way central midfielder for U17 SLSG Navy. She is an IMG top 150 ranked player who was also selected to the initial SLSG SuperCup roster. 

She began work on her coaching license at age 16, and she coaches younger SLSG players. (SLU’s Bri Halverson is currently working on hers through SLSG.)

Alyssa is the 4th member of the current U17 SLSG Navy team (top 10 ranked team nationally) that has committed to SLU. 

Originally from the Houston, TX area pre high school, Bockius attends Lindbergh High School. 

https://twitter.com/alyssabockius/status/1501985777504464902?s=21

slufanskip likes this

SLU has added a home Spring Game vs Central Missouri, Tuesday, April 19th, 7pm.

Central Missouri is a D-2 soccer power. They have advanced to the NCAA D-2 Quarterfinals 6 times since 2014. And, they won the 2017 NCAA Division 2 National Title.

It’s a nice schedule addition. Central Missouri recruits heavily in the KC/Stl/MO and plains states region. They play good soccer. 

SLU’s March 26th Spring game vs SIUC has been canceled.

HoosierPal and slufanskip like this

• 2 weeks later...

The game was fine. The score (1-0 K-State) 

SLU played 19 players. 5 unavailable. 2 longer term) 1 didn’t enter the game. 

Larson will be unlimited full contact, no restrictions, in two weeks. Groark is targeting beginning of the Fall season or early into it. Stureman still has some discomfort. The other few are short term. 

Shots were 17-3 for SLU, although I had SLU at more than 20, not including some other close chances/near misses. Corners were 17 to zero for SLU. The 2nd half in particular was extremely one sided.

4-2-3-1 formation, changed to 4-1-3-2 later in the game when SLU went down a goal. 

It could have been a several goal win for SLU with regards to run of play and close scoring chances. Mildly similar to the Missouri State game or Rhode Island game a bit  in the conference tourney. Lots of near misses wide of either post or just over the bar in a a variety of ways.

First Spring game. SLU was able to play a lot of players and get some work in and get better as the game progressed. They did several things well from an effort, passing, shape, 1v1 standpoint. They can tweak a few things strategically earlier in the game, and, from an execution stand point. Good effort.

Houck, Brinkman, Heckel, Stram all had time at center back. Houck was very good. Halverson, Beach, English all had time at outside back. Halverson was good. Lawler, Miller, Kohl all had time in the defensive midfield. Lawler stood out. Friedrich, Summers, Sawyer, all had time on the wing. Smith, Walsh, Preusser all had time in the middle. Madelyn Smith stood out. She was very good. Gaebe, Kelly played alone and together up top. Gaebe stood out. Puricelli was the only available keeper.