SLU Women's Soccer Thread

54 minutes ago, courtside said:

NCAA Women’s Division 1 Final Four in Santa Clara, CA:

Florida St. vs Rutgers

Santa Clara vs South Carolina or BYU

The Rutgers/Arkansas game was everything people hoped for and expected. Super fast paced game. A plethora of chances.

Arkansas hit the post in the first 15 seconds of the game on a through ball. And, Rutgers took the lead two minutes later on a Riley Tiernan goal that looked pretty similar to her SLU goals.

Shots were 23 to 22 at the end of regulation. 30-26 for the game for Rutgers. 9-4 corners for Arkansas.2-2 2OT. Rutgers wins it 4-2 in PK’s. 

So many games go to PK's. It's just a sad and unfair way to decide a game. I find it hard to believe no one can come up with a better system

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

So many games go to PK's. It's just a sad and unfair way to decide a game. I find it hard to believe no one can come up with a better system

Yep. It’s a tough way to lose a game. 

There could have been many more goals in the Rutgers game. FSU avoided PK’s with a 2OT winner vs Michigan. Santa Clara had 2 early goals and made it stand up 2-1 at Duke. 

slufanskip likes this

Women's College Cup Final Four:

Florida St. vs Rutgers

Santa Clara vs BYU

BYU makes its first Final Four after 27 seasons. 22 NCAA Tourneys. 4 Elite 8's.

Rutgers is in its 2nd Final Four, seeking its first NCAA Title.

Florida St. and Santa Clara are seeking their 3rd National Title.

85 combined years at their current schools for the Final Four head coaches. 

If you find yourself in Nashville, TN this weekend, several SLU Women’s Soccer commits (and recruiting targets) will be playing in a National ECNL Showcase Event. (Each team gets 3 games, Dec 3-5)

2022 SLU commits:

Taylor Krueger (Northwest Elite FC)

Lauren Hiatt (Tennessee Soccer Club)

Clare Nicholas (Internationals SC)

Becca Wolterman (Ohio Elite)

2023 SLU commits:

Ashley Koch (KC Athletics) 

There are no Stl teams playing this event. It’s a good opportunity to see some SLU commits and targets from different parts of the country.

On 11/29/2021 at 8:15 AM, courtside said:

If you find yourself in Nashville, TN this weekend, several SLU Women’s Soccer commits (and recruiting targets) will be playing in a National ECNL Showcase Event. (Each team gets 3 games, Dec 3-5)

2022 SLU commits:

Taylor Krueger (Northwest Elite FC)

Lauren Hiatt (Tennessee Soccer Club)

Clare Nicholas (Internationals SC)

Becca Wolterman (Ohio Elite)

2023 SLU commits:

Ashley Koch (KC Athletics) 

There are no Stl teams playing this event. It’s a good opportunity to see some SLU commits and targets from different parts of the country.

For those that reached out, or anyone else, just send me a message for game times and locations today through Sunday. Big recruiting weekend. 

Ahead of tonight’s Women’s College Soccer College Cup Final Four, at Stevens Stadium at Santa Clara:

United Soccer Coaches named their Women’s All Americans today. 5 players who were SLU opponents this season were named Division 1 All Americans today. (Orkus from Ole Miss, Provenzano, Tagliaferri, Ali, from Rutgers, and Griffith from Purdue)

Besides the four above, tonight’s Women’s Final Four will feature an additional 7 All Americans. (former SLU opponent Parker Goins was also selected for Arkansas)

(The Men’s All Region and All American Teams will be announced next week. The SLU coaching staff was already named Southeast Region Coaching Staff of the Year this week)

There have also been 30 off season Women’s coaching changes. The biggest has been Keidane McAlpine who has left USC where he has been very successful, (he’s been popular and successful everywhere he’s been) for Georgia, to be closer to home. McAlpine recently won the National Championship at USC, and they have a few All Americans this year as well. (SLU crosses over with both occasionally in recruiting, more often w/Georgia)

Bill Reno recently named SLU’s Emily Puricelli the 9th best USWNT GK prospect U24. Bill is a respected Goalkeeper guru, and, he was a volunteer assistant at Connecticut for the Men’s team this season, Ray Reid’s final season. (same coach in which SLU’s Kris Bertsch previously worked)

slufanskip likes this

17 hours ago, courtside said:

Ahead of tonight’s Women’s College Soccer College Cup Final Four, at Stevens Stadium at Santa Clara:

United Soccer Coaches named their Women’s All Americans today. 5 players who were SLU opponents this season were named Division 1 All Americans today. (Orkus from Ole Miss, Provenzano, Tagliaferri, Ali, from Rutgers, and Griffith from Purdue)

Besides the four above, tonight’s Women’s Final Four will feature an additional 7 All Americans. (former SLU opponent Parker Goins was also selected for Arkansas)

(The Men’s All Region and All American Teams will be announced next week. The SLU coaching staff was already named Southeast Region Coaching Staff of the Year this week)

There have also been 30 off season Women’s coaching changes. The biggest has been Keidane McAlpine who has left USC where he has been very successful, (he’s been popular and successful everywhere he’s been) for Georgia, to be closer to home. McAlpine recently won the National Championship at USC, and they have a few All Americans this year as well. (SLU crosses over with both occasionally in recruiting, more often w/Georgia)

Bill Reno recently named SLU’s Emily Puricelli the 9th best USWNT GK prospect U24. Bill is a respected Goalkeeper guru, and, he was a volunteer assistant at Connecticut for the Men’s team this season, Ray Reid’s final season. (same coach in which SLU’s Kris Bertsch previously worked)

The 24 Best U24 American Goalkeepers — Everybody Soccer

There is no one ranked above her younger than Emily and in the top 24, only 2 are younger. Very nice

courtside likes this

4 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

The 24 Best U24 American Goalkeepers — Everybody Soccer

There is no one ranked above her younger than Emily and in the top 24, only 2 are younger. Very nice

Yep. Positive recognition is always welcomed. (Top Drawer Soccer has had a few SLU Men pro prospect write ups recently for Keller, Becher etc as well)

SLU Women have a really good keeper in Emily. (so do the Men with Patrick) Emily is one of the best Nationally. Natalie Phelps has played in many big club games and was good enough to be recruited by the Big Ten in Illinois. And, SLU has a few more good keepers coming soon in 2022 and 2023. Long history of very good keepers continues for SLU Soccer.

2022 SLU commit Becca Wolterman was 1st Team All State for her high school team in Ohio D-2 this Fall. SLU staff is in Nashville this weekend watching her, as well as several other SLU commits, as well as some possible future SLU commits. It’s an ECNL National Showcase. 200 teams. 3 age groups. 3 games. 3 days.  5 SLU commits playing in Nashville this weekend. 

Girls Academy has a big national event next weekend in Norco, CA. (A couple of local clubs with SLU commits are playing) MLS Next has a big event there this weekend for the guys. Kevin was out at SLSG Academy recently recruiting. Both SLSG and Stl CITY have teams playing. 

slufanskip likes this

Women’s College Cup Final tonight. BYU vs Florida St. BYU doesn’t play on Sundays, Game moved to Monday.

BYU advanced past conference rival and defending National Champion Santa Clara in PK’s. Two teams that know each other well, and who played like it. Lots of action and chances for two lower scoring even games. Florida St. edged Rutgers 1-0. BYU advanced 0-0 (3-2 PK’s) 

Rutgers had an effective 4-4-2 v FSU tweaking their 4-3-3 at times. it will possibly be the FSU possession vs BYU more direct N/S counters.

BYU had the most explosive offensive team in the country this year, especially at home. Mikayla Colohan in the central attacking midfield, and Cameron Tucker up top. They’ll try to work the width of the field and get service into the 18. They can be vulnerable to counters up the middle. Usually 4-4-2.

Florida St. is an East West methodical possession team that can wear opponents down. Excellent defense led by Emily Madril in back and Jaelin Howell in the defensive midfield. Roque made some great saves vs Rutgers. Howell scored the game winner vs Rutgers on a set piece corner rebound. Usually 4-3-3. Deep experienced roster.

Lots of Utah players for BYU with some other mixed in from the West. FSU recruits coast to coast FL, CA,  CO, etc…with more of an International mix added, than some other programs.

BYU is seeking its first Women’s Soccer National Title. Florida St. is seeking its 3rd, and, FSU has been there frequently lately.

Bearcat likes this

NCAA Soccer and SLU recruiting:

Florida St 0 BYU 0 (Florida St. wins National Title in PK’s)

Another highly entertaining, low scoring, physical game with lots of pace, and, with several near misses. BYU had a nice combination play transition goal called back for offsides. (I wouldn’t have called it)

It’s Florida St.’s 3rd National Title. Madril and Roque had strong Final Fours. (Stanford also has 3 in a similar recent time frame.) This year, about a dozen teams could have won it. And any of the College Cup Final Four teams could have won it. I think a healthy SLU is in that top 16 seed range as they were last season. 

BYU’s  Mikayla Colohan, Florida St. Jaelin Howell, and Santa Clara’s Kelsey Turnbow were named the 3 MAC Hermann Trophy Semifinalists. Howell won it last year.

4 SLU opponents finished ranked in the United Soccer Coaches Final top 25:

Rutgers 3

Ole Miss 18

Xavier 19

Purdue 24

………………………………………………..

SLU recruits:

After National club ball events in Nashville, (5 SLU commits played, Wolterman, Nicholas, Krueger, Hiatt, Koch, as well as other targets) and club league play this past weekend, another big event starts today in Southern California for GA club teams including two SLU commits.(Paloucek & Preusser. They have gone undefeated in league play) Also in recruiting, KCSG, (Sibbing) won their 3rd KS State Cup recently w/o giving up a goal.

National events are good opportunities for SLU to see commits as well as recruit other geographies. It also allows players to play teams from other parts of the country other than their region.

Several SLU commits and targets are multi sport athletes. Many are hoopers among other sports. SLU likes to get out to those games as well.

Some of SLU’s local commits wrapped up ECNL Midwest league play this past weekend. Spring will be High School ball for many after Winter Sports. And then ECNL playoffs after that. Other SLU recruits will switch from High School ball to club soccer play in the Spring.

U18/19 SLSG finished 10-3 (Smith)

U17 SLSG finished 9-0-4 (Jackson, Schwartz, Gary) KC Athletics will probably win the league as they have only 1 loss with 2 games left to play. Their only loss is U17 SLSG with the 3 SLU recruits above. (This is Koch’s team)

The U16 team with some SLU recruiting targets finished 12-0-1.

25 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

2 of the final 3 games end with PK's and we wonder why there are so many casual fans out there that consider soccer boring. 

An interesting stat: 

There have only been 4 College Cup Finals decided by PK’s ever. However, 3 have been in the last 3 seasons. 

It speaks perhaps a bit to the increased parity of the teams and play. The games themselves were anything but boring. High tempo, technical, fun, physical, exciting, attacking team soccer, with lots of scoring opportunities despite the lower scores. PK’s are frustrating, not ideal, but the games haven’t been boring.

1 hour ago, courtside said:

An interesting stat: 

There have only been 4 College Cup Finals decided by PK’s ever. However, 3 have been in the last 3 seasons. 

It speaks perhaps a bit to the increased parity of the teams and play. The games themselves were anything but boring. High tempo, technical, fun, physical, exciting, attacking team soccer, with lots of scoring opportunities despite the lower scores. PK’s are frustrating, not ideal, but the games haven’t been boring.

I didn't say I thought they were boring but I hate games ending in PK's. Soccer needs to find a way to increase scoring. I truly believe there is a simple solution, but I'm realistic enough to know it'll never fly. 

1 hour ago, Cowboy II said:

-doesn't seem ideal, how do you propose to end the game? 

This has been debated for decades and no one has a good answer.  Is the obvious answer, play until someone scores?  So.......120 minutes into a tied match, you keep playing?  150 minutes?  180 minutes?  Anyone want to stop for dinner?  Play until someone says 'I give'?  

There is no reasonable alternative that is foolproof. 

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

I didn't say I thought they were boring but I hate games ending in PK's. Soccer needs to find a way to increase scoring. I truly believe there is a simple solution, but I'm realistic enough to know it'll never fly. 

I understand. I think I know what you were saying. It was that some casual fans may use PK game deciders to say soccer is boring. Sometimes those games are higher scoring games decided by PK’s and sometimes lower scoring. Increasing scoring is related but a separate topic from using PK’s to decide games. 

What I said in part is that all 3 of this year’s Final Four games were exciting games, as were the previous two national title games that went to PK’s. 

For those casual fans, I would change the adjective. Those particular games were anything but boring. Using PK’s to decide a game is a frustrating way to decide a game for many. Many casual fans that watched the games would have said those were exciting games despite the score. I think casual fans that only see the score would be ones to make the comments.

There are encouraging things too. BYU led the country in offense this year and they made the NCAA Championship game. Rutgers, as SLU fans know, had an attacking team this year. Arkansas has won 3 recent SEC Titles with a pressing style. TCU. Several others. 

As HoosierPal and Cowboy II are discussing, level of play can drop into several OT periods. 

As for rules, I think there are a variety of things that can be explored. What did you have on mind?

13 minutes ago, courtside said:

I understand. I think I know what you were saying. It was that some casual fans may use PK game deciders to say soccer is boring. Sometimes those games are higher scoring games decided by PK’s and sometimes lower scoring. Increasing scoring is related but a separate topic from using PK’s to decide games. 

What I said in part is that all 3 of this year’s Final Four games were exciting games, as were the previous two national title games that went to PK’s. 

For those casual fans, I would change the adjective. Those particular games were anything but boring. Using PK’s to decide a game is a frustrating way to decide a game for many. 

There are encouraging things too. BYU led the country in offense this year and they made the NCAA Championship game. Rutgers, as SLU fans know, had an attacking team this year. Arkansas has won 3 recent SEC Titles with a pressing style. TCU. Several others. 

As HoosierPal and Cowboy II are discussing, level of play can drop into several OT periods. 

As for rules, I think there are a variety of things that can be explored. What did you have on mind?

Occasionally a PK game is higher in scoring but the more goals you score the less chance of a tie. Most PK games are 0-0 or 1-1.

My idea will never fly as it seems radical but it's really not. Enlarge the goal and change the offside rule to say that any part of the offensive player just needs to be equal to the last defender. 

GK's are taller and much more athletic than they've ever been. (And no before someone says it, no it's not the same as raising the rim in basketball ) Even mediocre keeps can cover the entire goal. What you get is teams trying to work the ball into the box before shooting. Yes, there is the occasional 25-30 yard shot that ends up in the net, but it's rare. So many times a player has the ball 18 yds out and the defense has 9-10 players in the box, so you're trying to make an extra pass in extremely tight spaces. A larger goal would enable players to shoot from distance therefore defenses would have to open up more and do less packing in hoping for 1 counter or PK's. If you just counted shots that hit the post as goals right now, you'd have more scoring and less PK's. I don't want to make the goals 10 yards by 10 feet or anything drastic.  Maybe 25 Feet wide and 8'6" high or 9' high. More scoring chances would lead to goals. It's a pretty simple fix that doesn't take a lot of crazy rule changes. I get that I'm probably alone on the idea. 

RUBillsFan likes this

Skip, I like your thought about enlarging the goal.  Another suggestion would be to take the hockey approach.  Play 1 15 minute OT period with 9 players, and a 2nd with 8 players.  That would really open up the field for up to 30 minutes, and I think would normally produce a golden goal.

Still tied, then go to sudden death PK's.

1 hour ago, bauman said:

Skip, I like your thought about enlarging the goal.  Another suggestion would be to take the hockey approach.  Play 1 15 minute OT period with 9 players, and a 2nd with 8 players.  That would really open up the field for up to 30 minutes, and I think would normally produce a golden goal.

Why don't we blind fold the goalie in extra time.  That would be fun.  Or make him play on his/her knees.  Or tie one hand behind his/her back.

20 hours ago, bauman said:

This has been my idea for a while, keep reducing the number, eliminate subs and let the conditioning take over. 

courtside likes this

22 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Occasionally a PK game is higher in scoring but the more goals you score the less chance of a tie. Most PK games are 0-0 or 1-1.

My idea will never fly as it seems radical but it's really not. Enlarge the goal and change the offside rule to say that any part of the offensive player just needs to be equal to the last defender. 

GK's are taller and much more athletic than they've ever been. (And no before someone says it, no it's not the same as raising the rim in basketball ) Even mediocre keeps can cover the entire goal. What you get is teams trying to work the ball into the box before shooting. Yes, there is the occasional 25-30 yard shot that ends up in the net, but it's rare. So many times a player has the ball 18 yds out and the defense has 9-10 players in the box, so you're trying to make an extra pass in extremely tight spaces. A larger goal would enable players to shoot from distance therefore defenses would have to open up more and do less packing in hoping for 1 counter or PK's. If you just counted shots that hit the post as goals right now, you'd have more scoring and less PK's. I don't want to make the goals 10 yards by 10 feet or anything drastic.  Maybe 25 Feet wide and 8'6" high or 9' high. More scoring chances would lead to goals. It's a pretty simple fix that doesn't take a lot of crazy rule changes. I get that I'm probably alone on the idea. 

I’m all for anything that adds to the game. Sometimes that’s something already in place, and, sometimes that’s change. I’m pretty open minded. Recent year college rule changes have been more and more similar to International play. 

The BYU goal vs Florida St. would be a perfect example of the offsides topic. I’m all for that. Such a nice combination play. 

The topic of goal size makes me think of something Brett Hull used to say in hockey. He basically said we don’t bigger rink size and bigger goal size, we just need the refs to call the grabbing and holding more often. That of course suited Brett’s game.

Keepers are certainly bigger and more athletic. 

I’m all for opening up the game.

slufanskip likes this

A kick in to replace a throw in. The throw in is the only time field players are allowed to use their hands. By replacing it with a kick in, this would increase scoring opportunities. Currently a throw in around the half way line does not present any danger of a goal being scored, replace it with a kick in and it would be just like a corner kick only coming from a different angle.

almaman likes this