SLU Women's Soccer Thread

6 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

This was the first time I really was invested in watching a full game.  My impression was that they really didn't impress me much as far as ball control in the middle of the field.  There was a point in the mid to late first half where both teams looked like they were playing ping pong with the ball getting one touched back and forth.  However, WOW are they great finishers.  We really scored four goals, but one was called back on an offsides.  Looked solid defensively as well.  A lot of their chances were created by just being faster than Dayton and then, as mentioned, great finishes.

They play a little like the USWNT. They’re not necessarily looking to win the time of possession battle. The want to put pressure on you, constantly attacking. When they lose possession they want to turn you back over quickly and then attack again. 

cgeldmacher, courtside and Zink like this

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/15/2021 at 9:47 PM, slufanskip said:

They play a little like the USWNT. They’re not necessarily looking to win the time of possession battle. The want to put pressure on you, constantly attacking. When they lose possession they want to turn you back over quickly and then attack again. 

So they're running a Gegenpress?

9 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

So they're running a Gegenpress?

I honestly had never heard that term, so I googled it lol. It does sound very much like what they attempt to do. Win the ball back quickly when you lose possession and then attack quickly. Anytime they win the ball in the attacking 3rd, they generally look to come back at you pretty quickly. 

34 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I honestly had never heard that term, so I googled it lol. It does sound very much like what they attempt to do. Win the ball back quickly when you lose possession and then attack quickly. Anytime they win the ball in the attacking 3rd, they generally look to come back at you pretty quickly. 

Kinda opposite of Tiki Taka style which focuses on short passes and maintaining possession.  

41 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Kinda opposite of Tiki Taka style which focuses on short passes and maintaining possession.  

SLU Women do both. They do a lot of short, interior, combination play passing, but they like to move forward whenever possible. And, they also include high pressure, speed, on ball skill, that forces turnovers and counters that create chances. Game circumstances and game to game can vary.

Example: SLU likes to build wide with Friedrich and Larson. But today they moved both inside in the 2nd half, and attacked the center of Davidson's defense to create more dangerous chances. Davidson had a good game plan, Shields substituted often utilizing depth, and, she moved players around, and changed way of attack during the game. Their general principles still apply.

Just need a little more final third finishing late today. Davidson defends well and their keeper is having a solid game.

Another angle on the game winner for SLU. Prior to the video, Larson had run back to defend in SLU's 3rd, and, force a turnover, sent a long ball wide to Groark who centered top of the box. Cleared out to Larson and rhe defender 50/50. Larson wins it to Friedrich. Settle, turn, shot, goal.

1 hour ago, courtside said:

Another angle on the game winner for SLU. Prior to the video, Larson had run back to defend in SLU's 3rd, and, force a turnover, sent a long ball wide to Groark who centered top of the box. Cleared out to Larson and rhe defender 50/50. Larson wins it to Friedrich. Settle, turn, shot, goal.

I don't want this to come off as a slight to fans who normally attend games but the crowds reaction to that goal felt more like a big time soccer atmosphere than most goals scored at hermann.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

I don't want this to come off as a slight to fans who normally attend games but the crowds reaction to that goal felt more like a big time soccer atmosphere than most goals scored at hermann.

That’s pretty normal for sporting events as the importance increases. It’s like a playoff game compared to a regular season game in any pro sport.

4 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

It was a huge goal for SLU Women’s Soccer. (We used to get that type of reaction for some big Men’s games goals years ago) Katie Shields said after the game that it was the biggest goal of Hannah Friedrich’s life thus far. 

11 hours ago, courtside said:

It was a huge goal for SLU Women’s Soccer. (We used to get that type of reaction for some big Men’s games goals years ago) Katie Shields said after the game that it was the biggest goal of Hannah Friedrich’s life thus far. 

There was so much nervous energy in the crowd after that Davidson goal, and then leading up to the 90th minute. Nobody wanted to sit through ot. It was a collective letting go of those nerves. 

6 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

There was so much nervous energy in the crowd after that Davidson goal, and then leading up to the 90th minute. Nobody wanted to sit through ot. It was a collective letting go of those nerves. 

I felt pretty good about it. Early enough in the game, SLU has lots of firepower. And even their Center Backs (Heckel, Stram, etc..) are former star offensive players converted to defense. 

Moving Beach up and wide left, moving Friedrich and Larson inside, nice adjustments from Shields. Attacking the middle of Davidson’s defense when wide wasn’t working earlier in the game. 

Noon Central NCAA Selection Show Monday. 

37 minutes ago, courtside said:

I felt pretty good about it. Early enough in the game, SLU has lots of firepower. And even their Center Backs (Heckel, Stram, etc..) are former star offensive players converted to defense. 

Moving Beach up and wide left, moving Friedrich and Larson inside, nice adjustments from Shields. Attacking the middle of Davidson’s defense when wide wasn’t working earlier in the game. 

Noon Central NCAA Selection Show Monday. 

I like the way Shields give Larson the freedom to roam.  One moment attacking down the left, next attack on the right, down the middle, etc.  There is nothing a defender hates more than an unmarked ultra-skilled player roaming free...and the Billikens have too many good players......the opposition can't afford to mark Larson. 

Women’s soccer is a mix of leagues that played in the fall and others in the Spring. 

Some Spring Conference Tourney Winners and some top 25 teams of note. 

Iowa, finished 12th in the Big Ten, but had conference tourney wins over Illinois, top 10 Penn St., and Wisconsin to win Big 10 Conference Tourney in a stunner.

SIUE won the Oho Valley and will dance.

South Florida won the AAC. They are good.

Georgetown won the Big East for the 4th time in 5 years, 2 NCAA Final Fours in that time, 9th straight NCAA Tourney. 

BYU and Santa Clara had their recent games canceled due to COVID-19 in the WCC. Both are top 20 teams. Their Spring includes a split vs each other in WCC play.

ACC, SEC, Big 12, Pac 12 were mostly fall. Scheduled a partial Spring non-conference season. Some played a mix of regional teams combined with a few games vs other Power 5 Leagues.

Not likely to be too much movement in final regular season top 25. SLU may move up slightly but they have held steady at 20 in both polls for a while. 

SLU’s RPI before Saturday’s win was........6.