SLU Women's Soccer Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SLU has created plenty of chances since the goal but hasn't been able to get a second. Quite a few corner kicks. Kelly just had a great run that ended with a big rip just wide. 1-0 at half. SLU is clearly the better team. Gotta grab that second goal.

2-0 on a Groark cross to the head of Hanna Friedrich. Groark made a nifty move to beat her defender to set it up.

UD has been much better this half, even had a couple nice shots go just wide.

Huge, huge goal.

Hannah Larson ices it with an incredible run with just over 2 minutes left. Got the ball with defenders on either side, turned on the jets to beat them both, and gave it a soft finish off the outside of her right foot.

Ballgame.

This was the first time I really was invested in watching a full game.  My impression was that they really didn't impress me much as far as ball control in the middle of the field.  There was a point in the mid to late first half where both teams looked like they were playing ping pong with the ball getting one touched back and forth.  However, WOW are they great finishers.  We really scored four goals, but one was called back on an offsides.  Looked solid defensively as well.  A lot of their chances were created by just being faster than Dayton and then, as mentioned, great finishes.

9 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

This was the first time I really was invested in watching a full game.  My impression was that they really didn't impress me much as far as ball control in the middle of the field.  There was a point in the mid to late first half where both teams looked like they were playing ping pong with the ball getting one touched back and forth.  However, WOW are they great finishers.  We really scored four goals, but one was called back on an offsides.  Looked solid defensively as well.  A lot of their chances were created by just being faster than Dayton and then, as mentioned, great finishes.

There's definitely some aspects of their team game that can be polished, but I have to think they're going to get sharper over time. Bri Halverson is really the only major player who graduates this year - the other three seniors come off the bench and don't play major minutes - and she plans on returning with her COVID bonus year. So they lose literally no one, unless someone transfers out.

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

There's definitely some aspects of their team game that can be polished, but I have to think they're going to get sharper over time. Bri Halverson is really the only major player who graduates this year - the other three seniors come off the bench and don't play major minutes - and she plans on returning with her COVID bonus year. So they lose literally no one, unless someone transfers out.

I didn't know Bri H was returning. That's incredible. Any idea if Hannah F gets another year or will she only have 1 year remaining? 

Her header for the 2nd goal was nice. 

28 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

As you say, this is one game. So, what you can take of it is just that, one game. No more no less. You can’t assume how they played today is how they play every or most games.

I can say having watched SLU play a lot, is that much of their game is an attacking, short, frequent, interior combination passing, possession game, with pace. Much of their build up runs wide through the midfield with Friedrich and Larson via Halverson, Miller, or Stram etc.. 

In a Conference Tourney Semifinal, getting an early goal was a priority. In the first half, Dayton rarely had the ball past midfield. Thus much of it was SLU trying to get a first goal, and additional tallies working with half of a field.

Dayton created more pressure after half time for a brief but unsustainable period. SLU defends well, and they have a lot of ball winners. 

SLU has a lot of on the ball skill, can pass well, space well, see the field well. They are very dangerous on set pieces and in the open field in the final 3rd. 

Different games have different flows and circumstances. 

Size, speed, more on the ball skill, are a few things SLU has needed to get over the hump against some of the better power 5 teams. 

The expectation is not only for SLU to be in the NCAA’s, but to win at least one or two this year while there depending on the matchups.

We are at the survive and advance portion of the season.

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

I didn't know Bri H was returning. That's incredible. Any idea if Hannah F gets another year or will she only have 1 year remaining? 

Her header for the 2nd goal was nice. 

I think everybody gets a bonus year, right?

slufanskip likes this