SLU Women's Soccer Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-keep on going Ladies, thinking they win the remaining A10 games (conf and tourney) with that record/ranking do they host NCAA games?

I would say unequivocally yes in any other year. Obviously the circumstances in which this season has been played, nothing is certain. (can't wait to never write that sentence ever again)

If games were being played on campus, SLU would likely have hosted their first round game. If they had won, they likely would have had to go on the road in an even match up type of 2nd round game. If there was an upset in their bracket they could have hosted a couple of games. 

Previously SLU went on the road to play two different Power 5 schools in the first round, losing both in close games. Had they won either game either year, they would have had to play at a top 5 type National Team in Round 2. 

SLU is elevating their NCAA Seeding level, ranking, and power ranking. (27 currently in RPI) At minimum SLU would have avoided playing one of the best teams in Round 2, and SLU would have likely hosted a Round 1 game and would have been favored to win.

All of this of course would have been based on winning their remaining games.

Notre Dame (2019) and Kansas (2018) were good those years but they were not top 25 teams. SLU went on the road both times, and, while playing well enough to possibly win both times, they lost both. Those two teams immediately lost comfortably at North Carolina and South Carolina in Round 2.

Winning an NCAA game, and perhaps two, a Sweet 16, would be a good goal for SLU this year. Not winning an NCAA game would be disappointing to the team this year, and, anything beyond the Sweet 16 would be beyond expectations. 

4 minutes ago, courtside said:

All 3 SLU goals last night from all angles:

I know I keep saying it, but I've never seen a player who get her head on more corners than Abbie Miller. It's unreal. If she doesn't get to one, I'm wondering what was wrong. 

courtside likes this

I love Hannah Larson. I almost always feel she’s the best player on the field. She just sees things differently than everyone else. With that said I hate the exaggerated fall. I couldn’t even tell if there was a foul on the penalty. She went down easily and with the same flair she plays with. 

id like to see a rule in place in all of soccer. All instances of potential dives are reviewed after the game. If it’s determined you dove, you sit a game. If it’s in the box you sit 2. Quit going down like little un athletic weaklings. You’re making the game I love a joke. Play your opponent not the official. 

22 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I know I keep saying it, but I've never seen a player who get her head on more corners than Abbie Miller. It's unreal. If she doesn't get to one, I'm wondering what was wrong. 

No doubt. Most effective Billiken in the air since Bake...;)

The attendance yesterday was OUTSTANDING! It felt so good to be in a packed Hermann stadium. My favorite person in the crowd was easily men's goalkeeper Patrick Schulte who was absolutely ruthless heckling the back line and goalkeeper for UD. The entire men's team was there and they were rowdy in their support. They could have just shown face and been done with it but they were into the game. Love to see that from Kalish's squad.

A-10 Awards:

Hannah Friedrich was named Offensive Player of the Year.

Emily Puricelli was named Defensive Player of the Year.

Abbie Miller was named Midfielder of the Year.

7 Billikens were named First Team All A-10 and 1 was named 2nd Team.

Others joining the above mentioned players on the first team were Brionna Halverson, Lyndsey Heckel, Hannah Larson, Sophia Stram. Emily Groark was named to the 2nd team.

Emily Brunts made the A-10 All Academic Team. 26 SLU players had a GPA of 3.0 or higher and at least 10 had straight A's. 

18 hours ago, courtside said:

A-10 Awards:

Hannah Friedrich was named Offensive Player of the Year.

Emily Puricelli was named Defensive Player of the Year.

Abbie Miller was named Midfielder of the Year.

7 Billikens were named First Team All A-10 and 1 was named 2nd Team.

Others joining the above mentioned players on the first team were Brionna Halverson, Lyndsey Heckel, Hannah Larson, Sophia Stram. Emily Groark was named to the 2nd team.

Emily Brunts made the A-10 All Academic Team. 26 SLU players had a GPA of 3.0 or higher and at least 10 had straight A's. 

-4 of these are frosh, that is great