SLU Women's Soccer Thread

15 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Watching tonight. I'm all in on this team, but not ahead of the Cards last night

skip as i watched the replay of carlson's homerun, it immediately came to mind, "Hell even skip could have hit that pitch out"  😉

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

skip as i watched the replay of carlson's homerun, it immediately came to mind, "Hell even skip could have hit that pitch out"  😉

Clearly your mind has gone bad. My baseball consists of the Guinness World Record games we play and I'm clearly the worst player. I've only cleared the Mendoza line once or twice. I had a guy donating for one that said he'd donate $5 for every XBH I had. No check would have been required. I talked him into $5 per hit and he still laughed at how little it cost him lol. 

billiken_roy likes this

4 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Clearly your mind has gone bad. My baseball consists of the Guinness World Record games we play and I'm clearly the worst player. I've only cleared the Mendoza line once or twice. I had a guy donating for one that said he'd donate $5 for every XBH I had. No check would have been required. I talked him into $5 per hit and he still laughed at how little it cost him lol. 

you are hillarious skip.   i figured you'd like that "even skip....." line.  😄

6th minute...Foul from behind off of a throw in, far left edge of the box, PK called. Friedrich no problem lower left corner. (it was a foul but questionable PK call there, an early gift for SLU)

14th minute, Larson from Groark. Halverson wins the ball to Groark. Larson far left side alone with nice pass from Groark. Left foot finish.

34th minute, Friedrich saves a Duquesne out of bounds clear, sends perfect far post cross to Caroline Kelly for the header top right corner.

45th minute, SLU scores with 5 seconds remaining the half. Set piece, far right side midfield, Heckel to far left side of the box, deflects off of defender, 3 Billiken players toe touch and in for  Copeland.

4-0 Halftime.

slufanskip likes this

15 minutes ago, courtside said:

6th minute...Foul from behind off of a throw in, far left edge of the box, PK called. Friedrich no problem lower left corner. (it was a foul but questionable PK call there, an early gift for SLU)

14th minute, Larson from Groark. Halverson wins the ball to Groark. Larson far left side alone with nice pass from Groark. Left foot finish.

34th minute, Friedrich saves a Duquesne out of bounds clear, sends perfect far post cross to Caroline Kelly for the header top right corner.

45th minute, SLU scores with 5 seconds remaining the half. Set piece, far right side midfield, Heckel to far left side of the box, deflects off of defender, 3 Billiken players toe touch and in for  Copeland.

4-0 Halftime.

Another DVR watch for me. Thanks for the update

courtside likes this

38 minutes ago, courtside said:

7pm Home Game vs Dayton ESPN+.

Masks and physical distance required.

Final two Regular season games, both home, both vs Dayton this weekend. 

Planning on making an appearance at Hermann tonight. Perhaps it will go better than my attempt to attend the OSU game.

14th minute. Larson from Friedrich. Anna Walsh wins a punted ball near midfield, (yes Dayton's keeper still does the same punt routine)  up to Friedrich. Perfect through ball to Larson in alone again. It is Friedrich's 13th assist of the season. 6th goal of season from Larson.

Dayton launches very high long cross, from the sideline, the wind takes it high off of the crossbar to a Dayton forward on opposite side for the tap in. Halverson late getting back marking, caught ball watching. Cross was just over a leaping Puricelli. Very fortunate play for Dayton but they out hustled SLU in front of the goal on the rebound. 

1-1 midway first half.

48th minute. Set piece. Corner.

Friedrich perfect cross to Miller, driving header right at the Dayton Keeper deflected off of her hands and in. (needed some hand extension there) 

It is Friedrich’s FOURTEENTH assist of the season.

51st minute Red Card foul Dayton from behind on Larson in the box. (Legit call didn’t play the ball)

Miller wins a ball  just past midfield, from a Dayton pass, keeps it in bounds, and sends forward, misplayed by Dayton defender. Groark pokes a pass to Larson who beats her defender wide 1v1.

Miller PK finish, top left corner.

3-1 SLU. 77th minute.

21 minutes ago, courtside said:

48th minute. Set piece. Corner.

Friedrich perfect cross to Miller, driving header right at the Dayton Keeper deflected off of her hands and in. (needed some hand extension there) 

It is Friedrich’s FOURTEENTH assist of the season.

51st minute Red Card foul Dayton from behind on Larson in the box. (Legit call didn’t play the ball)

Miller wins a ball  just past midfield, from a Dayton pass, keeps it in bounds, and sends forward, misplayed by Dayton defender. Groark pokes a pass to Larson who beats her defender wide 1v1.

Miller PK finish, top left corner.

3-1 SLU. 77th minute.

3-1 Final.

cgeldmacher likes this

3-1 Final. Dayton got a red card on that PK a played one down for the rest of the game.

what I loved about the game, is it seemed well-scouted. SLU was constantly forcing Dayton to the left and they always tried to cut back into our defender to avoid kicking with their left boot. When they would, it had little direction/pace, while SLU was going left regularly with success. 3-4 late chances almost made this a laugher. Puricelli was solid in net coming off her line often.

back-to-back-to-back A10 regular season champs. Well done ladies!

This is Katie Shields' 8th season at SLU. The last 3 have been Regular Season A-10 Champs, and (hopefully) Conference Tourney Champs all 3 seasons. Prior to that SLU finished 2nd twice with less A-10 Tourney success.

The next step is to maintain league regular season and conference tourney dominance, as well as to continue to improve regular season non-conference power opponent results, and to improve NCAA Tourney Results. This would also include finding ways to keep adding competitive non-conference games, and, to mix those games early and later in the season. The league has not been helpful with this. 

SLU has had two games vs top level opponents this season. They won at top 10 Arkansas 3-1. They lost in OT at home to top 20 Oklahoma St. Xavier was a recent Big East Champion, but there have been several other Big East Teams with better seasons. Georgetown is a National Power. UConn, Providence, Butler all with better seasons than Xavier this Spring thus far.

SLU has a very young team. Recruiting and player development have been robust.