SLU Women's Soccer Thread

19 hours ago, slufanskip said:

That’s a huge win. I wonder if we will be ranked after that. Too bad it wasn’t streamed. Thanks for the clips Courtside. Both nice goals

You’re welcome. Arkansas plays an attractive attacking style. But, at times they can be vulnerable on counters. 

I will probably post more here for Women’s Soccer, than other threads, as I prefer one season long thread than several short threads)

(I did post about the Oklahoma
St. game in the Arkansas game thread.)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, courtside said:

You’re welcome. Arkansas plays an attractive attacking style. But, at times they can be vulnerable on counters. 

I will probably post more here for Women’s Soccer, than other threads, as I prefer one season long thread than several short threads)

(I did post about the Oklahoma
St. game in the Arkansas game thread.)

I like keeping just 1 thread also as there aren't that many of us who follow. 

2 minutes ago, courtside said:

Oklahoma St. 1 SLU 0 F OT.

(PK in extra time.)

Was anybody able to watch? If you’re gonna call a PK in OT, it better be pretty F-ing blatant.

27 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Was anybody able to watch? If you’re gonna call a PK in OT, it better be pretty F-ing blatant.

I watched. I am also going to rewatch later. It was a fair call. It was a ball in the air sent into the right side of the box and the SLU defender ran over late and they collided hard, and it was a foul. Two minutes left in that OT period. Shot was good, low to Puricelli's right, save-able, but she wasn't quite quick enough getting down. 

Pretty even game, more of the physical, grind than playing Arkansas who is more of an attacking speed, finesse team. Oklahoma St. was especially dangerous on the wing. Players such as Gabriella Coleman used their size, speed, skill to overpower wide at times. 

SLU had some chances, OSU's were a little bit more dangerous, especially SLU needing Lyndsey Heckel to clear a sure goal off of the line in the 2nd half. Limited, even corners. 

0-0 would have been a fair result. Tough break late in OT.

13 hours ago, courtside said:

I watched. I am also going to rewatch later. It was a fair call. It was a ball in the air sent into the right side of the box and the SLU defender ran over late and they collided hard, and it was a foul. Two minutes left in that OT period. Shot was good, low to Puricelli's right, save-able, but she wasn't quite quick enough getting down. 

Pretty even game, more of the physical, grind than playing Arkansas who is more of an attacking speed, finesse team. Oklahoma St. was especially dangerous on the wing. Players such as Gabriella Coleman used their size, speed, skill to overpower wide at times. 

SLU had some chances, OSU's were a little bit more dangerous, especially SLU needing Lyndsey Heckel to clear a sure goal off of the line in the 2nd half. Limited, even corners. 

0-0 would have been a fair result. Tough break late in OT.

Thanks!  The information you provide is much appreciated.  I’m assuming the two most highly touted transfers, Lawler and Cytron, are not playing due to injuries?  Do you know when they will return?  This team should be truly formidable with both of them in the line up....

23 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

I'm watching tonight. I'll give you a more balanced SLU biased take than Courtside's probably unbiased take above

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

I'm watching tonight. I'll give you a more balanced SLU biased take than Courtside's probably unbiased take above

Lol. I am going to give it another look too. You will like the feisty, chippy and physical at times, first half. 

I always root for SLU. i try not to pick on student athletes as long as giving a good effort and playing fair. (Other adults are fair game). If a ref changes a game, I will say so, but I am less likely to put my focus there unless it's that bad. 

The Men also play at 6pm tonight, at home ESPN+. 

10 hours ago, Gremio14 said:

Thanks!  The information you provide is much appreciated.  I’m assuming the two most highly touted transfers, Lawler and Cytron, are not playing due to injuries?  Do you know when they will return?  This team should be truly formidable with both of them in the line up....

Thanks. I don't know return time schedule. Lawler of course played a lot this fall for SLU. 

Shields has done a good job getting some local kids that are Power 5/Big East transfers, to go along with all the many local metro area players (all over the metro area too) and other parts of the state. 

11 minutes ago, courtside said:

Lol. I am going to give it another look too. You will like the feisty, chippy and physical at times, first half. 

I always root for SLU. i try not to pick on student athletes as long as giving a good effort and playing fair. (Other adults are fair game). If a ref changes a game, I will say so, but I am less likely to put my focus there unless it's that bad. 

The Men also play at 6pm tonight, at home ESPN+. 

It was unquestionably a foul. She took too direct a path to the ball she should have been taking an angle that would have led her to the corner not parallel to the box. With that said, things happen fast and you react. Without the foul I don't think they score on the play. 

75 minutes in, I would have said OSU was getting the better of play 60/40 maybe 65/35. However, SLU dominated the last 10-12 min and was really taking the game to OSU. SLU looked to be wanting the win and OSU looked to be hoping to get away with a tie. SLU also had most of OT but not as dominate probably 60/40. The foul was on a counter by OSU. Coleman is good not just tall and fast, she has skill. She seems like a player that could develop into an outstanding wide defender. 

Over 70% of SLU's minutes have been played by underclassman. They started 5 freshman and 3 sophs against a top 20 team. The future is bright. This team is going to be a lot of fun to watch. 

Anyone know anything about Sophia Denison? She played in all 23 games last year and started 6 averaging about 40 min a game as a freshman on an NCAA tourney team and she's barely seen the field this year. Is she hurt? 

59 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

It was unquestionably a foul. She took too direct a path to the ball she should have been taking an angle that would have led her to the corner not parallel to the box. With that said, things happen fast and you react. Without the foul I don't think they score on the play. 

75 minutes in, I would have said OSU was getting the better of play 60/40 maybe 65/35. However, SLU dominated the last 10-12 min and was really taking the game to OSU. SLU looked to be wanting the win and OSU looked to be hoping to get away with a tie. SLU also had most of OT but not as dominate probably 60/40. The foul was on a counter by OSU. Coleman is good not just tall and fast, she has skill. She seems like a player that could develop into an outstanding wide defender. 

Over 70% of SLU's minutes have been played by underclassman. They started 5 freshman and 3 sophs against a top 20 team. The future is bright. This team is going to be a lot of fun to watch. 

Anyone know anything about Sophia Denison? She played in all 23 games last year and started 6 averaging about 40 min a game as a freshman on an NCAA tourney team and she's barely seen the field this year. Is she hurt? 

Yep. 

A few things that stand out. When someone asks what is the difference between some Power 5 teams and not? Power 5 have more players like Coleman or Morgan that are big, tall, fast, athletic, skilled, and know how to use their body. There are many more of those in the Big 12, SEC, etc...ever watch Haley Hopkins play from Vandy? She is a 6'0 scoring dynamo, very skilled, plays hard, can score a variety of ways on the ground and air. Players like that. 

Heckel had the same risky bang bang play earlier in the 2nd half near midfield where she also committed a similar foul, and, she got a yellow for the first one. Appreciate the physicality from a Freshman, but need a little more control on a few of those plays. Heckel cleared the ball off of the goal line two different times to save goals.

It was very close to being outside of the box too. Rodriguez, again, a nice counter from a turnover from Halverson near the OSU box. Rodriguez quickly ran the field with size and speed, and lofted a short soft through ball. Foul was unnecessary there. She was unlikely to score, there was help near. A bit too reckless but you like the effort.

Both teams defended the final third well. Much of play between the 18's. SLU could have been more poised in the final 3rd in my opinion. 

Set pieces were not as much of a factor for SLU. Good effort, very young team, less experience than OSU. 

SLU likes to play through Larson wide mid, from Halverson, and eventually to Groark or Friedreich. Kohl was solid. Puricelli was solid. 

It was a good learning experience. Would have been nice for a win and a tie v Arkansas and OSU, but still good showings. 

slufanskip likes this

On 3/7/2021 at 7:28 PM, slufanskip said:

On 3/7/2021 at 8:27 PM, courtside said:

Yep. 

A few things that stand out. When someone asks what is the difference between some Power 5 teams and not? Power 5 have more players like Coleman or Morgan that are big, tall, fast, athletic, skilled, and know how to use their body. There are many more of those in the Big 12, SEC, etc...ever watch Haley Hopkins play from Vandy? She is a 6'0 scoring dynamo, very skilled, plays hard, can score a variety of ways on the ground and air. Players like that. 

Heckel had the same risky bang bang play earlier in the 2nd half near midfield where she also committed a similar foul, and, she got a yellow for the first one. Appreciate the physicality from a Freshman, but need a little more control on a few of those plays. Heckel cleared the ball off of the goal line two different times to save goals.

It was very close to being outside of the box too. Rodriguez, again, a nice counter from a turnover from Halverson near the OSU box. Rodriguez quickly ran the field with size and speed, and lofted a short soft through ball. Foul was unnecessary there. She was unlikely to score, there was help near. A bit too reckless but you like the effort.

Both teams defended the final third well. Much of play between the 18's. SLU could have been more poised in the final 3rd in my opinion. 

Set pieces were not as much of a factor for SLU. Good effort, very young team, less experience than OSU. 

SLU likes to play through Larson wide mid, from Halverson, and eventually to Groark or Friedreich. Kohl was solid. Puricelli was solid. 

It was a good learning experience. Would have been nice for a win and a tie v Arkansas and OSU, but still good showings. 

So what you’re saying is: it was a foul, but the girl from Oklahoma State was asking for it, and the refs were seen receiving duffel bags filled with cash from the OK State coaching staff after the game? Got it. I always knew those refs were suspect! Total BS!

11 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

So what you’re saying is: it was a foul, but the girl from Oklahoma State was asking for it, and the refs were seen receiving duffel bags filled with cash from the OK State coaching staff after the game? Got it. I always knew those refs were suspect! Total BS!

That’s exactly what I was saying. Thanks for clarifying 

Reinert310 likes this

1 hour ago, courtside said:

What I am saying is Heckel needs to go back and watch the obscure 1980's American Football movie "All The Right Moves" and study how to play the ball first, and not the man. 

Love the fire. 

-the foul was on her that lead to the PK?