GDT: Beat the Spahders

Littlebill

3 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Do you really think the committee cares why we cancelled this game?

They might.

If keeping the Bills out of the tournament means an extra spot for Duke or Kentucky they will absolutely use this game as a reason for keeping them out. 

I don’t think we will ever hear anything and I’m ok with that but I definitely think the committee would use us “ducking” Richmond as a negative.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, dlarry said:

They might.

If keeping the Bills out of the tournament means an extra spot for Duke or Kentucky they will absolutely use this game as a reason for keeping them out. 

I don’t think we will ever hear anything and I’m ok with that but I definitely think the committee would use us “ducking” Richmond as a negative.

We flew to Virginia on a private plane and stayed a night in a hotel. If the committee seriously thinks we were “ducking” Richmond, they probably shouldn’t be on the committee anymore. Everybody is aware what is going on with Covid, SLU is not the only team dealing with it. There is a zero percent chance the committee goes back and says, “I would’ve voted to put the Billikens in the field...but we never really got a satisfactory explanation for why they didn’t play Richmond.” 

NH and slufanskip like this

Just now, Reinert310 said:

We flew to Virginia on a private plane and stayed a night in a hotel. If the committee seriously thinks we were “ducking” Richmond, they probably shouldn’t be on the committee anymore. Everybody is aware what is going on with Covid, SLU is not the only team dealing with it. There is a zero percent chance the committee goes back and says, “I would’ve voted to put the Billikens in the field...but we never really got a satisfactory explanation for why they didn’t play Richmond.” 

I believe the committee goes out of their way to find reasons to keep non-power 5 schools out. 

I also believe the committee would take a 500 or slightly below 500 ACC team or Big 10 team ahead of a 11-2 A-10 team.  
I’ve seen the committee screw the little guy to many times to believe they won’t use Covid to screw them again.

You may be right, I hope you are but I just don’t trust the NCAA at all.

BigMouthBilliken likes this

46 minutes ago, 68Alum said:

Many talk about players that have been infected by Covid as being "immune". I think that this is misleading and potentially dangerous.

I have never heard Dr Fauci, the CDC, or any expert in the field make any statements about "immunity" following an infection. As a matter of fact, there is now talk about the possibility that vaccinations may need to be annual just like with flu vaccinations. Additionally, with the now discovered Covid strains, South African, Brazilian, etc. (with others to doubtless to follow), it many be that any anticipated "immunity", may only be for a certain strain. The fact is that this virus is a moving target and the experts are learning and understanding more every day.

As an aside, I have been surprised that so many members of the team and the staff have become infected. It seems to me that if careful compartmentalization measures had been observed this could have avoided.

What we also don't know and won't for awhile is the long term lingering symptoms that the players exhibit over the year.

Here is the exact language from the CDC website:

People who have tested positive for COVID-19 within the past 3 months and recovered do not have to quarantine or get tested again as long as they do not develop new symptoms.   Contrary to media reporting today, this science does not imply a person is immune to reinfection with SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, in the 3 months following infection.  The latest data simply suggests that retesting someone in the 3 months following initial infection is not necessary unless that person is exhibiting the symptoms of COVID-19 and the symptoms cannot be associated with another illness.

Sure, there is a 1 in a million/billion chance of someone that had it once getting it again within 3 months, but for all practical purposes they have immunity. The reason Fauci and others don't want to talk about immunity too loudly is they know that young people that are at no material risk from this disease will seek out the disease to achieve the immunity and move past all the restrictions that have been put on them. Since too many young people getting it will lead to slippage into the older population that can suffer enormously from it, they want nobody to get it.

brianstl, Tonka and cgeldmacher like this

8 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I’m a season ticket holder and think we are ducking them. We are not back to where Ford wants them and going 0-2 in conference puts them in serious trouble of making the tourney with so few games played. Med staff raised a concern and they ran with it to not play is my guess. Better than the risk of losing. Now they have time to get back to where is needed. No doubt in my mind if they beat Dayton they would be playing now 

NextYearBill likes this

Who from SLU was in charge of making this call? I seriously hope that person or persons have a medical background and not just an admin, a coach or a trainer. Why couldn’t they just play tomorrow? If A10 thinks Richmond is safe enough to host tournament, why didn’t SLU? It’ll be interesting to find out. 

3 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I believe the committee goes out of their way to find reasons to keep non-power 5 schools out. 

I also believe the committee would take a 500 or slightly below 500 ACC team or Big 10 team ahead of a 11-2 A-10 team.  
I’ve seen the committee screw the little guy to many times to believe they won’t use Covid to screw them again.

You may be right, I hope you are but I just don’t trust the NCAA at all.

I agree that the committee will probably try to screw us over. I agree that not playing this game will absolutely be held against us (assuming it’s not rescheduled). But the fact that we didn’t give specifics for why it was cancelled, that won’t even be an afterthought. Schools don’t flush budget money down the toilet flying teams to and from cities on private jets just to disguise the fact that weren’t ready to play and were scared they were gonna lose, to give them a better chance (not a guarantee) to make the NCAA tournament. That just doesn’t happen. 

31 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

We need to remember that the administration didn’t make this decision, the medical staff did. To make a statement with more specifics is to open your medical staff up to answering questions and criticism just for doing what they thought was best for the team. It’s so much easier for everyone involved to make a vague statement and leave it at that. As much as I hate to admit it, peace of mind for MBMers is not real high on the priorities list for most school administrations.

I hear you, but at the same time, the medical staff is following rules laid out for them by the administration. 

cgeldmacher likes this

Just now, billikenfan05 said:

I hear you, but at the same time, the medical staff is following rules laid out for them by the administration. 

Then Richmond should’ve known where SLU stood on the situation in advance. I highly doubt SLU changed their protocol this afternoon.

1 hour ago, 68Alum said:

Many talk about players that have been infected by Covid as being "immune". I think that this is misleading and potentially dangerous.

I have never heard Dr Fauci, the CDC, or any expert in the field make any statements about "immunity" following an infection. As a matter of fact, there is now talk about the possibility that vaccinations may need to be annual just like with flu vaccinations. Additionally, with the now discovered Covid strains, South African, Brazilian, etc. (with others to doubtless to follow), it many be that any anticipated "immunity", may only be for a certain strain. The fact is that this virus is a moving target and the experts are learning and understanding more every day.

As an aside, I have been surprised that so many members of the team and the staff have become infected. It seems to me that if careful compartmentalization measures had been observed this could have avoided.

What we also don't know and won't for awhile is the long term lingering symptoms that the players exhibit over the year.

This fear mongering needs to stop.. young healthy athletes are not dying from Covid... 

6 minutes ago, P.B. said:

I’m a season ticket holder and think we are ducking them. We are not back to where Ford wants them and going 0-2 in conference puts them in serious trouble of making the tourney with so few games played. Med staff raised a concern and they ran with it to not play is my guess. Better than the risk of losing. Now they have time to get back to where is needed. No doubt in my mind if they beat Dayton they would be playing now 

That’s an awfully large waste of budget money to duck playing a basketball game. There’s no chance we were ducking them.

CBFan likes this

8 minutes ago, P.B. said:

This is where I’m at. I’m sure the coaching staff was very much okay running with any covid protocol violation if they could avoid playing a game they weren’t physically ready for. Frankly I’m on board with it.

NextYearBill likes this

7 minutes ago, P.B. said:

I can't believe you remain a fan of team that you apparently think is a bunch of possies

Littlebill likes this

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

This is where I’m at. I’m sure the coaching staff was very much okay running with any covid protocol violation if they could avoid playing a game they weren’t physically ready for. 

I'm 200% sure you are wrong, but if it somehow came out that it was correct, I'd be done as a fan. I couldn't actually root for that team. 

Littlebill likes this

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

This is where I’m at. I’m sure the coaching staff was very much okay running with any covid protocol violation if they could avoid playing a game they weren’t physically ready for. Frankly I’m on board with it.

That puts the medical staff in a pretty sticky situation when it comes time to explain the huge waste of money. Why is it so hard to believe that Richmond might’ve done something wrong? They’re not giving details either.

Just now, slufanskip said:

I'm 200% sure you are wrong, but if it somehow came out that it was correct, I'd be done as a fan. I couldn't actually root for that team. 

I’m in a similar boat. I can’t fathom a situation in which our guys (from the coaching staff to the walk-ons) aren’t competitive to want to play a tough game. Especially in a season where we’ve actively been seeking out more tough competition.

2 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I can't believe you remain a fan of team that you apparently think is a bunch of possies

Disappointing, sure. Much more plausible than the people here who blame Richmond when no other team has had any issues. Have to accept reality 

4 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

If skipping this game was the difference between making the tournament and not, I’m 200% sure you would be cheering for them in the first round 

2 minutes ago, P.B. said:

Disappointing, sure. Much more plausible than the people here who blame Richmond when no other team has had any issues. Have to accept reality 

So it’s easier to believe SLU flushed 10’s of thousands of dollars down the toilet? You only have to break protocol once for it to be a problem.

Littlebill likes this

6 minutes ago, NH said:

I’m in a similar boat. I can’t fathom a situation in which our guys (from the coaching staff to the walk-ons) aren’t competitive to want to play a tough game. Especially in a season where we’ve actively been seeking out more tough competition.

Imagine Goodwin and French saying “ok coach sounds good” if Ford were to come to the team with that. Lol

wgstl and CBFan like this