GDT: Beat the Spahders

Littlebill

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

He’s got a right to be a prick if what he is saying is true..who knows anymore..

I don’t know any more than anybody else, but as quick as that statement came out from Richmond, it SURE AS HELL seems to me that Richmond is trying to get out in front of this story before it all comes crashing down on their heads. Now that’s just an educated guess, and I could be wrong, but the fact that they made a statement like that AT ALL, in addition to how quickly the statement came out after the story of the game being cancelled broke, is a signal to me that something very fishy is going on, one way or another. Again, that’s just a guess having some experience with PR, but something’s not quite right with all this.

AGB91 likes this

If this truly comes down to someone using their arena hours earlier that hasn't been held to strict protocols like Richmond Basketball team has been held to, all I can say us UGGHHHH.

From what I understand, you can't get COVID from someone who was in the same room as you but hours earlier.  Doctor's know how long it stays in the air and what the dangers are.  The current standard, as I understand it, is being around someone (six feet or closer) for more than fifteen minutes without a mask.  Someone who happened to be in the same arena at some point the same day that our team is there, does not qualify under those standards as a risk.

Maybe the medical community needs to come out and be more clear about how you can get this.  Maybe they have already done that.  If so, then organizations like the NCAA, the A-10, and Saint Louis University need to get on the same page about what causes a possible risk and what doesn't so that this stupidity doesn't continue.

2 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

If this truly comes down to someone using their arena hours earlier that hasn't been held to strict protocols like Richmond Basketball team has been held to, all I can say us UGGHHHH.

From what I understand, you can't get COVID from someone who was in the same room as you but hours earlier.  Doctor's know how long it stays in the air and what the dangers are.  The current standard, as I understand it, is being around someone (six feet or closer) for more than fifteen minutes without a mask.  Someone who happened to be in the same arena at some point the same day that our team is there, does not qualify under those standards as a risk.

Maybe the medical community needs to come out and be more clear about how you can get this.  Maybe they have already done that.  If so, then organizations like the NCAA, the A-10, and Saint Louis University need to get on the same page about what causes a possible risk and what doesn't so that this stupidity doesn't continue.

Where are you seeing that that’s the reason for the postponement? Not saying you’re wrong, I just haven’t seen that.

I know people are upset at Richmond, but if the shoe was on the other foot, and we felt like the folks at Chaifetz followed all the proper protocols, we'd be trashing the team that turned around and left on us.  Like some have said, the A-10 just decided that Richmond was a safe enough site to host the Conference Tournament.  Why then is it not safe enough according to SLU's medical staff?

Here's another question:  If Richmond thinks their practices are good enough and the A-10 thinks their practices are good enough, and Richmond keeps doing things the same way, will our doctors prohibit our team from participating in the A-10 tournament?

1 hour ago, Speyburn said:

I believe that it is about student athletes living off campus using the facility.

Reinert, you asked where I got my information from.  This is it.  I now realize that I don't really know Speyburn's reliability.  No offense to him, the information may be accurate, but I just don't know that based on a post from a guy that has only posted 54 times.

I thought I had read this in a tweet from an insider, but that turns out not to be true.  So, my comments were based on this post, and, if it is not accurate, which is entirely possible, then my comments would be based on "facts not in evidence" which is a term we use in the legal industry. 🙂

1 minute ago, cgeldmacher said:

Reinert, you asked where I got my information from.  This is it.  I now realize that I don't really know Speyburn's reliability.  No offense to him, the information may be accurate, but I just don't know that based on a post from a guy that has only posted 54 times.

I thought I had read this in a tween from an insider, but that turns out not to be true.  So, my comments were based on this post, and, if it is not accurate, which is entirely possible, then my comments would be based on "facts not in evidence" which is a term we use in the legal industry. 🙂

All good. Basically, from looking at the Twitter Tweets, reporters from both SLU and Richmond are saying there’s about a 0% chance we ever get more info on why the game was postponed. Somebody involved would have to spill the beans. It just kinda is what it is at this point.

I’m a little peeved that there weren’t established protocols agreed to by both schools. 

I’m guessing that UR was operating under one sense of ‘safety’ and SLU operating under another. 

As they say in ‘Cool Hand Luke’—What we have here is a failure to communicate. 

dlarry likes this

Many talk about players that have been infected by Covid as being "immune". I think that this is misleading and potentially dangerous.

I have never heard Dr Fauci, the CDC, or any expert in the field make any statements about "immunity" following an infection. As a matter of fact, there is now talk about the possibility that vaccinations may need to be annual just like with flu vaccinations. Additionally, with the now discovered Covid strains, South African, Brazilian, etc. (with others to doubtless to follow), it many be that any anticipated "immunity", may only be for a certain strain. The fact is that this virus is a moving target and the experts are learning and understanding more every day.

As an aside, I have been surprised that so many members of the team and the staff have become infected. It seems to me that if careful compartmentalization measures had been observed this could have avoided.

What we also don't know and won't for awhile is the long term lingering symptoms that the players exhibit over the year.

6 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

All good. Basically, from looking at the Twitter Tweets, reporters from both SLU and Richmond are saying there’s about a 0% chance we ever get more info on why the game was postponed. Somebody involved would have to spill the beans. It just kinda is what it is at this point.

Same thing is still true for S 1 & 2. We are on a "need to keep from knowing" on all things of this nature.

3 minutes ago, almaman said:

Same thing is still true for S 1 & 2. We are on a "need to keep from knowing" on all things of this nature.

I mean, Richmond’s reporters are saying the same thing. It’s not just SLU that isn’t getting into specifics. Nobody really knows what happened and we’re probably never gonna know. I guess we can all choose who we believe, but in the end, it’s not gonna change anything.

I think the only way we find something out is if Richmond goes on a pause in the next few days. Otherwise I don’t expect to learn anything.

Lets say that SLU’s medical team found something that was legitimately concerning involving UR, be it team or facility, to justify pulling the plug. UR just got named as a joint host of the A-10 tournament yesterday. If word gets out that the A-10 just awarded the tournament to a school with some protocol issues, a lot of people look bad over this...the A-10, UR. If there was an issue, the A-10 will tell them to get their stuff together and try to keep it quiet to save face.

Or SLU will look like we dodged a game, or that we’re not willing to play unless teams meet out guidelines.

Reinert310 likes this

We need to remember that the administration didn’t make this decision, the medical staff did. To make a statement with more specifics is to open your medical staff up to answering questions and criticism just for doing what they thought was best for the team. It’s so much easier for everyone involved to make a vague statement and leave it at that. As much as I hate to admit it, peace of mind for MBMers is not real high on the priorities list for most school administrations.

JettFlight5 likes this

2 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

We need to remember that the administration didn’t make this decision, the medical staff did. To make a statement with more specifics is to open your medical staff up to answering questions and criticism just for doing what they thought was best for the team. It’s so much easier for everyone involved to make a vague statement and leave it at that. As much as I hate to admit it, peace of mind for MBMers is not real high on the priorities list for most school administrations.

You, good sir, are correct. 

Reinert310 likes this

1 minute ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

Slu needs to come out and give specifics as to what occurred. Otherwise it looks bad. Who cares if it ruffles feathers, we won’t make the tournament at this pace

Do you really think the committee cares why we cancelled this game?

SLU, UR, and the Conference need to get on the phone ASAP and resolve whatever the claimed issue was.  Whether it ever goes public or not, the Conference needs to get involved and resolve the claimed issue before the tournament begins.  The conference should issue a vague statement giving both sides cover that the apparent issue has been resolved and all is well - and that needs to be true.  All parties need to pull back and take the long view.  What happened today is water under the bridge, but this cannot happen again this season.

willie and majerus mojo like this