GDT: Beat the Spahders

Littlebill

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

67 and 68 Cardinals are my first MLB recollection.   Orlando Cepeda and Bob Gibson became my life as a 4th grader.   I was at the game Clemente broke Gibson's leg w the line drive up the middle.   I will never frget Gibson initially got off the ground and threw a test pitch.  One tough sob.    

I recently got "Cepeda 30" put on both my Cardinal and Braves jerseys.  Other than Billiken Basketball, nothing else tops MLB as far as im concerned.

Braves suck 

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Have you guys read Gibson's book Pitch by Pitch? Very good read. It's his thoughts batter by batter, even pitch by pitch with stories thrown in. It's amazing what he recalls from that game. Every pitch, every thought and why. 

Yes. Got a signed copy at a book signing at ballpark village several years ago. Gibbyl didn’t seem impressed when I told him my wedding anniversary was on the day of his only no hitter. 

slufanskip likes this

1 hour ago, willie said:

Yes. Got a signed copy at a book signing at ballpark village several years ago. Gibbyl didn’t seem impressed when I told him my wedding anniversary was on the day of his only no hitter. 

You told him who you were? 

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Braves suck 

I was included in the trade.   Me and Cepeda for Torre.   Thus began my braves fandom.

TheA_Bomb and slufanskip like this

18 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I was included in the trade.   Me and Cepeda for Torre.   Thus began my braves fandom.

I’m actually a diehard Braves fan, Roy. My Dad’s from Florida and Florida obviously didn’t have any teams back then. So I grew up watching Braves games every night on  TBS.

TheA_Bomb and billiken_roy like this

11 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I’m actually a diehard Braves fan, Roy. My Dad’s from Florida and Florida obviously didn’t have any teams back then. So I grew up watching Braves games every night on  TBS.

that doesn't stop the braves from sucking. 

Jk... I love Acuna Jr though. If I can get the Rox GM to negotiate on the Braves behalf maybe I can negotiate a deal for him. Maybe our 8,13,22,25, and 29th prospects plus you send me 10 mil.  

Just now, slufanskip said:

that doesn't stop the braves from sucking. 

Jk... I love Acuna Jr though. If I can get the Rox GM to negotiate on the Braves behalf maybe I can negotiate a deal for him. Maybe our 8,13,22,25, and 29th prospects plus you send me 10 mil.  

Lol. Sid Bream is like a mythical cult hero in my family. But actually Freddie Freeman is my guy. When he moved to play 3rd just to keep Big City Matt Adams bat in the lineup on a fairly irrelevant Braves team, how many star players would do that? I know he won the MVP last year, but he doesn’t get anywhere near the credit he deserves.

majerus mojo and slufanskip like this

4 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Have you guys read Gibson's book Pitch by Pitch? Very good read. It's his thoughts batter by batter, even pitch by pitch with stories thrown in. It's amazing what he recalls from that game. Every pitch, every thought and why. 

Just the 17K game?

On 1/29/2021 at 2:02 PM, Bonner89 said:

Whoever said the sports train left the SLU station years ago was right on the mark. I didn't want to believe it, but it's true. Dr. Chaifetz, God bless him, but that money was not well spent. SLU's a lost cause and it pains me to say it. Why would a recruit want to even think about coming to this shitfire ?

What are you talking about?

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

Mine was in 3rd grade. Read Hank’ biography and got hero worship. The 60s era Redbirds were an HR desert compared to Milwaukee who had ar least 1 season with 6 guys with 20 taters in same year. Then they moved to boomtown who took my beloved Hawks. So it easy for transferring sports team love. Even kind of followed Georgia & GT in CB. Once the Braves (Hammers) won WS I deserted the state. Same happened with Red Sox🤓

29 minutes ago, almaman said:

Just the 17K game?

Yes. It really is a good. Read. He goes through every batter, talks about what he was thinking, what and why he threw the pitches and then has little side stories about team mates and the opponents

16 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Yes. It really is a good. Read. He goes through every batter, talks about what he was thinking, what and why he threw the pitches and then has little side stories about team mates and the opponents

Great book with great stories. My fav was when mike shannon ask where he should line up at third and gibson said something like don't worry I wont let the ball get hit to you. It might have first game shannon was in when Gibson pitched

slufanskip likes this

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

Sounds similar to Tony La Russia’s 3 days in August except 1 game instead of 3.  Thanks for tip

slufanskip likes this

2 hours ago, hmart23 said:

What are you talking about?

Just a ranting know nothing loon that I have on ignore.

I can see clueless as ever and pains me to see he uses Bonners name.

hmart23 likes this

19 hours ago, White Pelican said:

I don't have pictures but I DO have the souvenir book with the scorecard inside it with all the K's. Also in standing room with 4 high school buddies, our carpool. Didn't have tickets, we were snuck in and that's a story in itself. I remember winning 4-0 beating Denny McClain, and Brock with a home run.

Gibson's 17 broke the record held by Sandy Koufax (15 K's) who was retired from baseball and working the game for NBC.

I was also at game 7 (with tickets this time) in right center bleachers and can still vividly recall Curt Flood's misjudging of the high fly ball by Jim Northrup with two men on in the 7th. I watched Flood and thought he was on it until at the last moment he spun around, the grass literally flying up as the ball sailed over his head for a 2 run triple. That broke the 0-0 tie, Northrup also scored in the inning and the Tigers scored one more run later. Mike Shannon hit a solo home run in the bottom of the ninth and the game ended 4-1.

It was a long, heartbreaking walk back to my Dad's car. Those are the only two World Series games I've ever been to.

I also have the souvenir program/scorecard, but I don't have the K's marked.  I've got quite a few pictures with many, if not most, men wearing coat and ties.

16 hours ago, gister said:

I also have the souvenir program/scorecard, but I don't have the K's marked.  I've got quite a few pictures with many, if not most, men wearing coat and ties.

I was not gonna bother using the scorecard part of the book (and in those days I LOVED to keep score) because of  being in crowded standing room but when Gibby started off with so many K's, my friends convinced me to start marking them down. And it was a few innings into the game by then so we (with help from everyone around us) had to kind of reconstruct what all the batters had done.

It looks pretty sloppy (not my usual carefully neat scorekeeping😄) but it takes me back when I look at it. Hard to believe it's been 52+ years.

And yeah, the suits or white shirts and ties. In those days of course, not many people had all the souvenir jerseys, and hats, jackets, etc. that are common now. And downtown had a lot of suit and tie business people bailing from work to attend the games. Just another example of a different time, like daytime WS games being common. In October you have different shadow patterns late in the game in ballparks and that too was a part of the charm and look of a World Series game on a sunny day.

billiken_roy likes this

On 1/29/2021 at 10:13 PM, Speyburn said:

From The Collegian, University of Richmond's student newspaper.

Undergraduate students living off campus are required to remain off campus and take classes remotely until Feb. 8, according to the email. Students living off campus will not have access to campus dining facilities or campus buildings during this time, according to the email.

In exception to this policy, student-athletes residing off campus are allowed to practice on campus with on-campus student-athletes but are not allowed to take classes in person, several student-athletes confirmed.

So, are you saying that the above affected the game at RIchmond?