GDT: Beat the Spahders

Littlebill

2 minutes ago, kshoe said:

What if I told you there was a connection? What does it change?

Can athletes that contract covid no longer play? Do we need even stricter protocols to prevent covid then we already have in place for athletes? Do athletes during their season contract covid at a rate higher than the general population?

How do you know he didn’t object to the cancellation of the game?

That’s a good point. I don’t know.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, kshoe said:

What if I told you there was a connection? What does it change?

Can athletes that contract covid no longer play? Do we need even stricter protocols to prevent covid then we already have in place for athletes? Do athletes during their season contract covid at a rate hig

How do you know he didn’t object to the cancellation of the game?

Pretending you don't know what's going on when you just met with SLU and the A-10 is an Eddie Haskell move.

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

Pretending you don't know what's going on when you just met with SLU and A-10 is an Eddie Haskell move.

I think he knew. But I also think he didn’t like the ultimate decision and probably didn’t like the way our original press release was worded.

Just now, kshoe said:

I think he knew. But I also think he didn’t like the ultimate decision and probably didn’t like the way our original press release was worded.

That’s all well and good, but the A10 commissioner obviously at least leaned to our side, considering (as other posters have noted) we weren’t made to forfeit. If he wants act like a child and make misleading (false) statements to the press, there’s nothing we can do about it.

4 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

That’s all well and good, but the A10 commissioner obviously at least leaned to our side, considering (as other posters have noted) we weren’t made to forfeit. If he wants act like a child and make misleading (false) statements to the press, there’s nothing we can do about it.

Has any team, anywhere, been made to forfeit a game? The Commish has no choice but to go along with SLU in a situation like this.

I truly don’t know if this is a case of SLU being ridiculous or having legit concerns, but I don’t think we should necessarily bash Richmond for defending their practices given we don’t know the exact circumstances. 

Just now, kshoe said:

Has any team, anywhere, been made to forfeit a game? The Commish has no choice but to go along with SLU in a situation like this.

I truly don’t know if this is a case of SLU being ridiculous or having legit concerns, but I don’t think we should necessarily bash Richmond for defending their practices given we don’t know the exact circumstances. 

I don’t think anyone hear has said word number 1 about Richmond’s players or coaches or practices. When you make an agreement with another AD and the commissioner of the league, you should honor it. Not go behind their back making it seem like there was no communication between the 2 sides as soon as they get on a plane. There’s just no excuse for it.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

There's enough there to figure out what happened.  The A-10 sided with SLU and Richmond isn't happy about it.  They also needed to send a message that it's safe to keep the A-10 tournament in Richmond.

50 minutes ago, DOC said:

You’re probably right. I’d just like to know what the hell they were doing/not doing that would cause us to up in leave? This was a huge home game for them to give up. I’m not buying the duck them theory at all so hopefully we will hear

29 minutes ago, kshoe said:

For all the bashing of Richmond’s AD...

What if we fly in yesterday and he, and all of Richmonds medical team, meet with us and come to the conclusion that our concerns are crazy conservative. Are they at fault for defending their views?

He may be an ass, but it really depends on what our concerns were and if they were legitimate, before we should just blast him for standing up for their program.

If there was enough there to figure out what happened then we wouldn’t have the above questions. Was this is an issue with their general protocols/testing, or an issue where staff member/player X did something we became aware of and were not comfortable with? Or something else entirely?

Sure, they agreed to “keep it between the administrators”, but that didn’t stop the Richmond AD from immediately throwing us under the bus? Leaving our fans in the dark and disseminating the bare minimum is what this program does best. 

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

You seemed perfectly willing to bash SLU a few hours ago when you didn't know the exact circumstances.

CBFan likes this

3 hours ago, White Pelican said:

I'm old, I saw Musial play (along with Mays, Aaron, etc.) and I've been to games in all three Busch Stadiums. I was at the 68 WS game when Gibson struck out 17. I saw Brock's 3000th hit and 115th stolen base. Use to love baseball. Now, don't care to go or watch it.

I was also at that 68 WS game when Gibson struck out 17.  I've got pictures.  I was with my Mom in standing room only.  What a great memory.

Bizziken likes this

48 minutes ago, gister said:

I was also at that 68 WS game when Gibson struck out 17.  I've got pictures.  I was with my Mom in standing room only.  What a great memory.

I don't have pictures but I DO have the souvenir book with the scorecard inside it with all the K's. Also in standing room with 4 high school buddies, our carpool. Didn't have tickets, we were snuck in and that's a story in itself. I remember winning 4-0 beating Denny McClain, and Brock with a home run.

Gibson's 17 broke the record held by Sandy Koufax (15 K's) who was retired from baseball and working the game for NBC.

I was also at game 7 (with tickets this time) in right center bleachers and can still vividly recall Curt Flood's misjudging of the high fly ball by Jim Northrup with two men on in the 7th. I watched Flood and thought he was on it until at the last moment he spun around, the grass literally flying up as the ball sailed over his head for a 2 run triple. That broke the 0-0 tie, Northrup also scored in the inning and the Tigers scored one more run later. Mike Shannon hit a solo home run in the bottom of the ninth and the game ended 4-1.

It was a long, heartbreaking walk back to my Dad's car. Those are the only two World Series games I've ever been to.

10 hours ago, willie said:

I must also be old as I was also at the 68WS game. Still like baseball even though I just gave up season tickets. More money to spend on the Billikens if they ever play. 

67 and 68 Cardinals are my first MLB recollection.   Orlando Cepeda and Bob Gibson became my life as a 4th grader.   I was at the game Clemente broke Gibson's leg w the line drive up the middle.   I will never frget Gibson initially got off the ground and threw a test pitch.  One tough sob.    

I recently got "Cepeda 30" put on both my Cardinal and Braves jerseys.  Other than Billiken Basketball, nothing else tops MLB as far as im concerned.

slufanskip likes this

9 hours ago, kshoe said:

For all the bashing of Richmond’s AD...

What if we fly in yesterday and he, and all of Richmonds medical team, meet with us and come to the conclusion that our concerns are crazy conservative. Are they at fault for defending their views?

He may be an ass, but it really depends on what our concerns were and if they were legitimate, before we should just blast him for standing up for their program.

The A10 agreed with the postponement - this means his position was not valid.

9 hours ago, kshoe said:

How often does a team just flat refuse to play - that is why you don't see forfeits.  If ever there was a reason to declare a forfeit if nothing was there it would have been now.  There was something and the A10 agreed.  

2 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

How often does a team just flat refuse to play - that is why you don't see forfeits.  If ever there was a reason to declare a forfeit if nothing was there it would have been now.  There was something and the A10 agreed.  

This is how I feel too.

when info first started coming in I was worried the Bills were pulling some shenanigans.

After hearing the A10 commissioner was in the meeting my tune has changed.

7 hours ago, gister said:

Occasionally mlb network plays that 17 strikeout game.   Gibson was marvelous.   Made kaline and cash look like monkeys trying to bat.   Don't know if ive ever seen a more dominating game.

13 hours ago, willie said:

I must also be old as I was also at the 68WS game. Still like baseball even though I just gave up season tickets. More money to spend on the Billikens if they ever play. 

Have you guys read Gibson's book Pitch by Pitch? Very good read. It's his thoughts batter by batter, even pitch by pitch with stories thrown in. It's amazing what he recalls from that game. Every pitch, every thought and why.