GDT: Beat the Spahders

Littlebill

1 minute ago, White Pelican said:

I'm old, I saw Musial play (along with Mays, Aaron, etc.) and I've been to games in all three Busch Stadiums. I was at the 68 WS game when Gibson struck out 17. I saw Brock's 3000th hit and 115th stolen base. Use to love baseball. Now, don't care to go or watch it.

I totally understand that perspective. But apparently the younger generation loves it. It’s not for me, but I still like watching games.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

I'm old, I saw Musial play (along with Mays, Aaron, etc.) and I've been to games in all three Busch Stadiums. I was at the 68 WS game when Gibson struck out 17. I saw Brock's 3000th hit and 115th stolen base. Use to love baseball. Now, don't care to go or watch it.

I must also be old as I was also at the 68WS game. Still like baseball even though I just gave up season tickets. More money to spend on the Billikens if they ever play. 

10 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

You know this a SLU statement because it’s still vague as f uck

There's enough there to figure out what happened.  The A-10 sided with SLU and Richmond isn't happy about it.  They also needed to send a message that it's safe to keep the A-10 tournament in Richmond.

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

There's enough there to figure out what happened.  The A-10 sided with SLU and Richmond isn't happy about it.  They also needed to send a message that it's safe to keep the A-10 tournament in Richmond.

I'm out of reactions (don't donors get more?) but good post! That seems to be exactly what happened. It's like a damned legal settlement where you win big but can't brag about it.

AGB91 likes this

The protocols were the issue according to AD May, which will lead to more information forthcoming, since the conference tournament is being held there. If we wouldn’t play because of protocols then all the teams going there will need to know the details. Hard to believe that won’t get out, especially considering how the Richmond AD responded

22 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Is it definitively caused by covid? 

I truly do not know, nor have I researched. I know that the Vandy women’s team was shut down by COVID and then shortly thereafter one of the women was diagnosed with Myocarditis. I had not seen that condition before. But I don’t know enough to say what the connection between the two is.

1 minute ago, DOC said:

The protocols were the issue according to AD May, which will lead to more information forthcoming, since the conference tournament is being held there. If we wouldn’t play because of protocols then all the teams going there will need to know the details. Hard to believe that won’t get out, especially considering how the Richmond AD responded

I'd like to think that but I would bet the A10 will just tell everyone that there's "nothing to see here", the problem has been resolved. It's now safe to play!

You’re probably right. I’d just like to know what the hell they were doing/not doing that would cause us to up in leave? This was a huge home game for them to give up. I’m not buying the duck them theory at all so hopefully we will hear

1 minute ago, DOC said:

You’re probably right. I’d just like to know what the hell they were doing/not doing that would cause us to up in leave? This was a huge home game for them to give up. I’m not buying the duck them theory at all so hopefully we will hear

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/billiken-beat/billikens-ad-confident-right-decision-was-made-in-postponing-game-at-richmond/article_c4c729da-6796-57c0-8c32-0faa738d56c0.amp.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share&__twitter_impression=true

here’s a link to Stu’s story. Apparently, everything was fine until SLU got on the plane. And it wasn’t til SLU left that Richmond’s AD magically had a problem with the postponement. Funny how that works.

3 minutes ago, DOC said:

I too never thought we were just ducking them. If that were the case, SLU would just claim someone sneezed and we're staying home. I mean we have too many games to make up, just how many and with who remains to be seen. I too would like to know what the issue was, but doubt we'll ever hear.

DOC likes this

4 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/billiken-beat/billikens-ad-confident-right-decision-was-made-in-postponing-game-at-richmond/article_c4c729da-6796-57c0-8c32-0faa738d56c0.amp.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share&__twitter_impression=true

here’s a link to Stu’s story. Apparently, everything was fine until SLU got on the plane. And it wasn’t til SLU left that Richmond’s AD magically had a problem with the postponement. Funny how that works.

Thanks. What an odd story to a crazy season. And could the Richmond AD be a bigger prick?

7 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Richmond’s AD is pretty tough when he knows his target is 800 miles away.

F’him.

13 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I’m not sure I understand the comments about random cases of myocarditis.  Is the thought that any athlete that contracts covid shouldn’t play sports anymore, ever, because there is a chance of myocarditis?

No, I have not seen anyone advocate for that thought. But I also think it’s pretty reasonable to have questions about whether there is any link between the two conditions. And I think it is reasonable to have some level of concern about the athletes we support while the medical community continues to study whether long-term effects such as myocarditis is that could be related to COVID-19. It would be unfair to say there definitely is a connection, and it would be unfair to criticize someone for wondering whether there might be. The scientific community will need much more time to figure out the definitive answer. 

19 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I’m not sure I understand the comments about random cases of myocarditis.  Is the thought that any athlete that contracts covid shouldn’t play sports anymore, ever, because there is a chance of myocarditis?

That’s not where I intended the discussion to go when I brought that up. All I was saying is that I understand the caution that slu is exercising when it comes to covid because of potential long-term side effects and used myocarditis as an example for that.

For all the bashing of Richmond’s AD...

What if we fly in yesterday and he, and all of Richmonds medical team, meet with us and come to the conclusion that our concerns are crazy conservative. Are they at fault for defending their views?

He may be an ass, but it really depends on what our concerns were and if they were legitimate, before we should just blast him for standing up for their program.

2 minutes ago, kshoe said:

For all the bashing of Richmond’s AD...

What if we fly in yesterday and he, and all of Richmonds medical team, meet with us and come to the conclusion that our concerns are crazy conservative. Are they at fault for defending their views?

He may be an ass, but it really depends on what our concerns were and if they were legitimate, before we should just blast him for standing up for their program.

According to the Article both ADs and the A10 commissioner agreed to not comment about it publicly.

he broke that agreement. 
I think that is what makes him an ass.

Also, not objecting to the cancellation during the meeting and then comping after is BS.

Littlebill likes this

From The Collegian, University of Richmond's student newspaper.

Undergraduate students living off campus are required to remain off campus and take classes remotely until Feb. 8, according to the email. Students living off campus will not have access to campus dining facilities or campus buildings during this time, according to the email.

In exception to this policy, student-athletes residing off campus are allowed to practice on campus with on-campus student-athletes but are not allowed to take classes in person, several student-athletes confirmed.

Just now, dlarry said:

According to the Article both ADs and the A10 commissioner agreed to not comment about it publicly.

he broke that agreement. 

Also, not objecting to the cancellation during the meeting and then comping after is BS.

Exactly. He acted like this was some sudden thing and nobody at SLU told them why they left. That just wasn’t the case at all. 

12 minutes ago, NH said:

No, I have not seen anyone advocate for that thought. But I also think it’s pretty reasonable to have questions about whether there is any link between the two conditions. And I think it is reasonable to have some level of concern about the athletes we support while the medical community continues to study whether long-term effects such as myocarditis is that could be related to COVID-19. It would be unfair to say there definitely is a connection, and it would be unfair to criticize someone for wondering whether there might be. The scientific community will need much more time to figure out the definitive answer. 

What if I told you there was a connection? What does it change?

Can athletes that contract covid no longer play? Do we need even stricter protocols to prevent covid then we already have in place for athletes? Do athletes during their season contract covid at a rate higher than the general population?

2 minutes ago, dlarry said:

he broke that agreement. 

How do you know he didn’t object to the cancellation of the game?

3 minutes ago, kshoe said:

What if I told you there was a connection? What does it change?

Can athletes that contract covid no longer play? Do we need even stricter protocols to prevent covid then we already have in place for athletes? Do athletes during their season contract covid at a rate higher than the general population?

How do you know he didn’t object to the cancellation of the game?

He can object to it all he wants to, he made an agreement with Chris May and the A10 commissioner not to discuss, and conveniently, AS SOON AS SLU GETS ON A PLANE, he decides to voice his displeasure with the situation.